Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Leo

2022 General Recruiting Thread (Football)

17 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Add Strickland to the DL and possibly Curry (well, longshot) 

I'm excited about all the potential linemen. Not the sexiest position, but in IU football's miserable history there still have been a number of high level skill position players. It's always been the lines where the Michigan's and O$U's have dominated the Hoosiers. Even last year the O line was average at best. I would LOOOOOOVE to flip that script- or at least match up with some of the big boys for once and not have "undersized"  or "scrappy" line play that is invariably worn down and overwhelmed.

35 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I'm excited about all the potential linemen. Not the sexiest position, but in IU football's miserable history there still have been a number of high level skill position players. It's always been the lines where the Michigan's and O$U's have dominated the Hoosiers. Even last year the O line was average at best. I would LOOOOOOVE to flip that script- or at least match up with some of the big boys for once and not have "undersized"  or "scrappy" line play that is invariably worn down and overwhelmed.

Couldn't agree more. It's not the only thing that would be needed, but in my view having the OL be a strength is one of the most important variables required to ending the drought against OSU.

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

OL was really good under Wilson and early under Allen. 

But yes I agree. 

Yeah I think the challenge has always been line depth at IU and plenty of other places outside the traditional powers. There are only so many people big and athletic enough to play there, you usually want upperclassmen so they’ve put on weight, injuries are prevalent for linemen, and so while you’d occasionally get an eventual draft pick that comes through IU, the fourth, fifth, and sixth etc linemen are not eventual mid-round picks

CTA has been on record saying a solid front 5 is vital to his vision/success on the offensive side of the ball.  I think he said that during the Mike DeBord days. He might have changed that philosophy since but in my opinion it looks like he's focusing on positions needed to compete year after year.  

I could be wrong but it looks like he's of the school of thought that a solid front 5 and front 7 is the secret sauce to compete for wins.  

7 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

We are now a contender for Gi’ Bryan Payne, currently a 4 star RB

Top 5

Alabama 

Notre Dame 

Florida 

Northwestern 

Penn State

What have you heard here?  

9 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

We are now a contender for Gi’ Bryan Payne, currently a 4 star RB

Top 5

Alabama 

Notre Dame 

Florida 

Northwestern 

Penn State

Currently no picks where he is going

Yup---Bama, Notre Dame, and Florida gotta worry bout the new big dog in the yard.