Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2022) - PF Kyle Filipowski to Duke

Commentary from this past weekend at the KYDA Invitational held in Scranton, PA.  --

Kyle Filipowski (2022 | NY Renaissance | Wilbraham & Monson, Mass.)
The most impressive player in the gym Saturday regardless of class was this 6-10, 230-pound forward, though ‘forward’ doesn’t really encapsulate his game.  Sure, he can score inside and rebound, as well as face up in the high post, but he has a handle most wings would envy, able to run the fastbreak with his head up and make plays, and he’s got a gorgeous rainbow shot from the 3-point arc.  His 21-point, six-rebound effort against Team Final, where he knocked down all three of his triples, was a thoroughly eye-opening outing in all aspects.

More from this past weekend.

Kyle Filipowski (2022 | NY Renaissance | Wilbraham & Monson, Mass.)

It’s true that we didn’t see every player in action on Saturday, but it’d be tough to bet anybody had a better day than Filipowski. In a game against the elite-level Team Final frontcourt of Jalen Duren (No. 2 in 2022 per 247Sports) and Dereck Lively II (No. 36), it was Filipowski who stole the show.

The 6-foot-10, 230-pound big man did just about everything: bodied up inside against the 6-10 Duren and 7-1 Lively, grabbing four offensive boards; stepped out and knocked down three 3-pointers, with a gorgeous rainbow stroke; ran the fast break and found teammates on the move, making several other pinpoint passes in the half-court offense. That he hit all eight of his foul shots was icing on the cake. 

Oh yeah, and the Rens dominated Final, considered the top 17U group in the country heading into the offseason, in large part due to that frontcourt.

“It’s no surprise, I know what my team is capable of,” Filipowski said afterwards. “We really played the best of the best today. I’m so proud of the guys, we played really good together and it shows at the end of the day.”

By the end of the 73-58 win, Filipowski had piled up 21 points and six boards, outscoring Duren and Lively by himself. Though he’s certainly not lacking in the size department, Filipowski moves like a guard, with terrific body fluidity and athleticism to finish above the rim with ease. He said that comes from growing up with his twin brother, seven-footer Matt Filipowski (who wasn’t in attendance Saturday).

“He’s always played the ‘5’ spot so I’ve had the opportunity to dribble the ball more, play around the perimeter a little bit more,” Kyle Filipowski said. “Growing up, even though I”ve been growing a lot height-wise, I’ve been trying to focus on keeping everything about me in the best shape possible.”

A New York native, he’s considered a four-star recruit by 247Sports, which has him just inside the top 60 nationally. But with several more outings like that, especially during live periods, there’s no doubt that ranking will skyrocket towards five-star territory. Already this month, he’s picked up offers from Indiana, Syracuse and Rutgers, adding to a list of more than 20 offers, mostly from high-majors. He said he was hearing regularly from “at least 10-plus...I’ve got plenty of schools, too many to name. As of now I’m still waiting for Peach Jam and things to open back up so more can come and see me.”

Filipowski said he already has planned official visits to Syracuse and Ohio State, as well as an unofficial visit to UConn, and that he’s trying to schedule an official visit to Indiana as well. No matter where he ends up, or how high his stock continues to rise, Filipowski said his intent is to get the most out of his collegiate experience, earning his degree before exploring any further stages.

“Obviously one of my dreams is to win a national championship so I definitely want to be able to play on the biggest stage there is,” he said. “Academics are very important to me, I want to get my degree in 3-to-4 years and see where ball takes me after that.”

~~~

Here’s a full game of Filipowski from March. He’s 32 in white. Unless you’re like me and you absolutely have to watch the entire game, I highly recommend going straight to the 3rd qtr. The kid gets nothing done in the 1st half. 2 pts, couple of rebounds, 0-2 from 3, including airing out a clean look, 3 to’s. Is pretty disengaged and clearly frustrated. Is more productive in the 2nd half. His skill level is obvious to anybody. He can really handle, really pass and seems to want to facilitate more than score. Would like to see more games, but this is the only one I’ve found. Btw: his brother, #33, isn’t nearly the athlete and not as skilled, but plays much harder and much better here. He looks like a mid major + or maybe a high major redshirt candidate. 
Last thing: I can’t decide if an all-male cheerleading team chanting “Dee-fence” in a completely empty gym is hilarious or pathetic.

4 hours ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

I don’t see this comparison at all...

Runs the floor well, catches and goes to the hoop, and hits the three. I don't see what you don't see. Don't want to get into a debate. I'll just respectfully agree to disagree.

25 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Runs the floor well, catches and goes to the hoop, and hits the three. I don't see what you don't see. Don't want to get into a debate. I'll just respectfully agree to disagree.

I mean isn’t that the point of message boards... but ok. 

54 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Watching the highlights I'm scared that a Duke or someone is going to jump in his recruitment after he makes a jump in the rankings. We really need to get him on campus this summer to sell him on IU. 

I'm not scared of K or Cal anymore. Woody, in my mind, is a man of the people and a man on a mission. My neighbor's kid, who is an incoming sophomore at IU, is buddies with a bunch of guys on the team. He said they absolutely LOVE CMW. So...rat face and slime ball can try and go toe-to-toe with CMW. Until proven wrong, I'll bet on IU. Now Howard at Michigan....his recruiting ability scares me.

5 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

I'm not scared of K or Cal anymore. Woody, in my mind, is a man of the people and a man on a mission. My neighbor's kid, who is an incoming sophomore at IU, is buddies with a bunch of guys on the team. He said they absolutely LOVE CMW. So...rat face and slime ball can try and go toe-to-toe with CMW. Until proven wrong, I'll bet on IU. Now Howard at Michigan....his recruiting ability scares me.

Pretty soon other coaches will be able to use “Coach K might even be there if you stay for 4 years” against Duke. He’s 74 years old. He’ll be 75 before this kid graduates, and he’ll turn 76 during this kid’s freshman season. 

2 hours ago, IU-DL said:

I love hearing this. Yes time for us to be back on top.