Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ramadden13

Game Theory Podcast: IU the 7th Best Coaching Job in College Bball

Sam Vecenie, writer for The Athletic, and Matt Pennie, former player at UMass, ranked the 25 best college basketball jobs on Sam’s Game Theory Podcast. They took budget, track record of success, local recruiting area, facilities, fanbase, and job security all into account.

They ranked IU 7th, saying that everything was elite besides the recent track record of success. They also went off on a tangent about how they think Tamar Bates is awesome.

The podcast was done in two parts: 13-25 and 1-12.

The top 12 were broken down into 3 informal tiers (although they said these are all elite jobs):

Tier 1

1. UK

2. North Carolina

3. Kansas

4. Duke

Tier 2

5. Texas

6. Louisville

7. Indiana

Tier 3

8. Ohio St

9. UCLA

10. Arizona

11. Michigan St.

12. Michigan

I think the ranking is fair for how we are now, although I think if we get it turned around we will prove we are a better job than Louisville especially.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/game-theory-podcast/id1054081827#episodeGuid=3265b3d6-3e30-11eb-a8f3-67d1cd65403d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, ramadden13 said:

They ranked IU 7th, saying that everything was elite besides the recent track record of success.

The ongoing debate about whether IU is still an elite program and coaching job can be boiled down to this one sentence. I think the ranking is fair, and if we start having consistent success, we become the 5th program in that Tier 1. 

10 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

The ongoing debate about whether IU is still an elite program and coaching job can be boiled down to this one sentence. I think the ranking is fair, and if we start having consistent success, we become the 5th program in that Tier 1. 

Totally agree. And I will never let go of my ire for Kelvin Sampson and the NCAA for knocking us down when we were still in that top group. UNC and UK get away with the down eras because they quickly recovered from those eras. If Sampson could have controlled his texting, I think we would have too. 

19 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

To still be viewed as a top 10 job is still pretty impressive to me with how bad we've been the last 20 years. I think if we have some success in the future we jump into that tier 1. I still don't know how good Duke will be after Coach K retires. 

I think a lot of people are ignoring the very real question of what post-Coach K Duke looks like. It really depends on who they hire. No program is completely bulletproof and sometimes it’s really hard to determine the right fit for the program.

3 hours ago, ramadden13 said:

Totally agree. And I will never let go of my ire for Kelvin Sampson and the NCAA for knocking us down when we were still in that top group. UNC and UK get away with the down eras because they quickly recovered from those eras. If Sampson could have controlled his texting, I think we would have too. 

Texting was just the tip of the iceberg with Samscum.

4 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Agreed. Consistent success put us at #5, add in banner #6 probably puts us in top 3 given that UNC lost Roy to retirement, Coach K likely to retire soon, UK had a down year and G-League and/or elimination of OaD rule may hamper them (and their last title was almost a decade ago already), and KU/Self could (but likely won't) get hit with sanctions and their last title was 2008.

Edited by cybergates