Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bigred3588

Strictly Hypothetical

I was thinking about next years roster and thought it would be interesting to throw out a starting 5, with some assumptions, and see where people placed our ceiling (in conjunction with our bench, of course). So here goes...

1. Khristian Lander playing up to his 5* billing. 

2. Xavier Johnson replicating his production at Pitt with slighter better % from the field

3. Tamar Bates at a 5* level or close to it

4. Miller Kopp replicating his production at NW

5. TJD after developing a right hand and mid-range jumper

I know there will be some debate about the lineup (like Stewart starting over Bates), but what would your expectations be if that scenario played out?

If all 5 of those items occur? Sheesh...we could be playing on the final weekend of the season in early April...

I think the biggest improvement that will be made is the ebb and flow of the offense in the halfcourt...so many of our guards have been misused over the past four years. Better spacing, especially when TJD faces a certain double team (esp if #5 above is true)

1. KL- can literally go nowhere but up. Like make a couple layups and it's already better lol. Hope he finds his niche, think he's got the most to benefit from new staff.

2. XJ- can't wait to see him on both ends. Would take similar stats from him, vocal on floor leader

3. TB will be, just wait. My favorite recruit since Yogi

4. MK- upperclassman, familiar with big ten

5. All American potential, NPOY potential, would love to see him RUN the floor every possession he's in!

I think if KL is playing 20+ mins a night... it's not a good sign. I guess I'm very, very confused how Parker Stewart isn't in either of the first two posts starting line up? 

Idk. To each their own. 

I mean this as respectfully as possible... those rankings literally don't mean a hill of beans the moment he steps foot on campus. Lander was wayyyy overrated to begin with, but that is beside the point. 

I reluctantly agree with btownqb that Lander is a focus in the hypothetical.  Even if Lander could live up to his 5* billing doesn't necessarily mean that he would be an excellent B1G point guard this season.  

Plus, IU doesn't play against hypothetically very good B1G opponents.  The other teams are reloading etc.

And, the bench comes in to play.  Are they going to step up when the starters need a breather?  What is CMW's offense and defense going to look like in the first year? Can IU defend the really big center in the B1G?  Can IU take advantage of the matchups that go small or throw a zone at IU or get really physical or own their courts? Will this team come together and mesh?

I'd say with the original poster's hypothetical this team could make it into the top 3 in the conference and competing for the championship of the B1G and the downside would be in the top 7.  The NCAAT would depend on seeding, matchups and whether IU executes or the other team does.  They would do well, I guess.  And no, they would not run the table.

Too many possibilities right now, but I could see several things.

1/Point:  Phin OR Lander OR Johnson

2-3 Wings: Johnson AND/OR Stewart AND/OR Bates, 
then Galloway/Leal

4/PF: Thompson OR Kopp
then Hunter/Geronimo

5. TJD
Then Duncomb/Thompson

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think if KL is playing 20+ mins a night... it's not a good sign. I guess I'm very, very confused how Parker Stewart isn't in either of the first two posts starting line up? 

Idk. To each their own. 

I mean this as respectfully as possible... those rankings literally don't mean a hill of beans the moment he steps foot on campus. Lander was wayyyy overrated to begin with, but that is beside the point. 

I was simply responding to the initial poster...I see what I missed now. Yes, PS or RP would be starting. Simply an oversight on my part.

Based on your scenario I'd guess a starting line-up of Johnson, Stewart, Kopp, Thompson & TJD, with Lander & Bates as top rotation guys.

I don't think Kopp is a 4 and don't expect either Lander or Bates to start, but hope they earn big minutes. 

12 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Based on your scenario I'd guess a starting line-up of Johnson, Stewart, Kopp, Thompson & TJD, with Lander & Bates as top rotation guys.

I don't think Kopp is a 4 and don't expect either Lander or Bates to start, but hope they earn big minutes. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

image.jpeg

Personally very enthusiastic about Geronimo. He’s going to bottle up some burger boy in the B1G/ACC challenge and bang two threes then seal the game on a runout steal and dunk.

But I love him as the conference 6th man of the year. My projected starters, at least to start the year, would be X, Stew, Kopp, Race, and TJD, and you can bring in Jordan for any of them save maybe X.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I've heard both Dane and Coach Ya say how impressed they have been with Lander this spring. So maybe the light bulb has turned on and he is turning the corner. 

As been mentioned, KL was basically a HS senior this past season. Experience, better coaching and time in the weight room will probably see a big improvement in him this coming season. Having said that, with the talent we appear to have now, I wouldn't be surprised if we have several guys with around 20 mins a game. And I think that would be a good thing. Depth should be strength this year.

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I've heard both Dane and Coach Ya say how impressed they have been with Lander this spring. So maybe the light bulb has turned on and he is turning the corner. 

Certainly hope so. I have my reservations on that whole situation, and I hope they're 100% wrong.