Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierBoiler

Who will be most improved player & Why.

On 6/1/2021 at 1:49 PM, brumdog45 said:

I'm hoping the most improved person involved is Loaded Chicken Sandwich in terms of his satisfaction with the product. If he is satisfied with the product, then things will be going well.  (totally not meant as a shot at LCS.......just that if the product is satisfying the more critical posters, then Woodson has done his job).

I have been happy since Archie got fired. 

Most improved is easier when you’ve got some distance to travel. I think the quality of roster is stronger and so even if Trey is most improved, he won’t get starter minutes. And I like Trey a lot. He makes things happen and sees the action well. 

I think we’ll see Geronimo transition into a player this year. The Oladipo comparisons are too easy but a great model. It’s funny because he doesn’t seem like a guy you run plays for, but just expect him to produce based on his ability. 

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m going Geronimo. Players respect his athleticism. He will see the court. He will be an active rebounder. Hopefully is handle isn’t so bad it limits him.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Yes, this would also be another great pick as well. 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Race Thompson. He will be given the freedom to develop into a complete playing, including outside shooting.

That would be welcome by me. He’s a smart player and does a lot of the “little things” well. Having him develop the ability to consistently score would be a windfall for the team.

How the heck would I know who will be the most improved player this season?  There are so many that the team needs to improve in many ways.  Here is my guess on the most improved player:  Coach Woodsen!  Well, he Has improved from being a player into being an NBA coach...then to the IU basketball men's head coach.  

OK, then...Phin?  Had been hoping and there is still hope but I wonder about his being able to improve all that much.  Hope I am wrong.

Khristian Lander?  Still needs a full season to...season.  Lots of improvement but...not most improved. He needs a shot doctor.

Xavier Johnson?  With his assists...and decent shooting...IU needs a point guard...a really great point guard...If Xavier Johnson has any improvement to his game...wow!  But not my pick for most improved.  

Galloway...maybe...

Improving shooting and getting the ball in position to score are the two biggest challenges for IU.  Only Kopp and Bates are decent outside shots.  We need a couple more good shooters...both outside and free throws.

I think that Rob Phinesee will improve the most. Confidence will return. His outside shot will go way up from 1/6.  He also will move the ball into position faster by not walking up to and across the half court.  If he can stop the opponent PG's first step on defense then that would be great.

My hope is that Phin will be the most improved because he isn't constantly looking over at the bench and he can just play. I think the team would benefit the most if he improves. I think Geronimo will probably be the guy that has the most improvement though. If he can get that outside shot to be a little more consistent, he has the tools. He just needs some experience.

At this point I'm going with either Geronimo or Lander.

Geronimo looks primed for a real breakout year, whether or not it's off the bench, has the athleticism, defense, rebounding strength, and I think outside shot that's going to be much better utilized (and developed) this season. 

Lander, though, has a chance to show the jump to more consistent and much higher level point guard contribution than he's shown. Woodson continues to refer to him as young and he's started off getting only limited minutes, but that was still exhibition time. This kid has so much talent, he wasn't one of the top ranked recruits / point guards in his class by some fluke, but he's been young and physically, outside of quickness, not really ready for the college game. As he continues to get stronger and integrated into Woodson's system, he has the potential for a big leap. The defensive side needs work, that's holding him back, imo, but I'm rooting for him.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

At this point I'm going with either Geronimo or Lander.

Geronimo looks primed for a real breakout year, whether or not it's off the bench, has the athleticism, defense, rebounding strength, and I think outside shot that's going to be much better utilized (and developed) this season. 

Lander, though, has a chance to show the jump to more consistent and much higher level point guard contribution than he's shown. Woodson continues to refer to him as young and he's started off getting only limited minutes, but that was still exhibition time. This kid has so much talent, he wasn't one of the top ranked recruits / point guards in his class by some fluke, but he's been young and physically, outside of quickness, not really ready for the college game. As he continues to get stronger and integrated into Woodson's system, he has the potential for a big leap. The defensive side needs work, that's holding him back, imo, but I'm rooting for him.

I don't think Lander is gonna get enough minutes this year to be considered for most improved. If there's an injury to X or ROb and he gets rotation run? Sure.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I don't think Lander is gonna get enough minutes this year to be considered for most improved. If there's an injury to X or ROb and he gets rotation run? Sure.

You may well be right. The limited minutes he got in the exhibitions seem to indicate that. It's early though, and my thinking is that he's got the talent, and if Rob doesn't step up (offensively) I think he could grow into those minutes, but yeah, he's competing now with the veteran on ball players (including Rob's D) who at this point look to be the primaries.