Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

OldBuddy67

21-22 Men’s IUBB Schedule

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

I believe it only counts as 1 game towards the schedule limit but there are multiple games played. 

Bingo.  Enables CMW the ability to schedule an additional OOC game w/o playing in a 'true' tournament like Maui, Atlantis, etc.  There will probably be a catchy marketing name associated with it as well.. Ken Nunn's Hoosier Invitational or something clever.

@Chris007 you hear anything?

13 hours ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Bingo.  Enables CMW the ability to schedule an additional OOC game w/o playing in a 'true' tournament like Maui, Atlantis, etc.  There will probably be a catchy marketing name associated with it as well.. Ken Nunn's Hoosier Invitational or something clever.

@Chris007 you hear anything?

You are correct about the exempt tournament. As long as all teams are from other conferences it's all OK. Name wise I'm guessing it will just be called Indiana MTE, like Kentucky, Duke and others are called theirs. But haven't heard anything. But I do know we are a couple of days away from some IUBB. 

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Good first game choice--we need a win!

*emotional wounds of past four years are still haunting me

I don't want just a win.  I want an annihilation to know this team has the mindset and focus that championship caliber teams demonstrate.  I don't want to see diet pop being swigged, hand clapping, pants pulling or gum chewing.  I want to see a coach relaxing on the bench and (figuratively) lighting up a victory cigar with 5 minutes left in the game.  

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I don't want just a win.  I want an annihilation to know this team has the mindset and focus that championship caliber teams demonstrate.  I don't want to see diet pop being swigged, hand clapping, pants pulling or gum chewing.  I want to see a coach relaxing on the bench and (figuratively) lighting up a victory cigar with 5 minutes left in the game.  

OLD FART IS FIRED UP BEFORE NOON TGIF EVERYONE

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

8 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

OLD FART IS FIRED UP BEFORE NOON TGIF EVERYONE

Fighting Old GIF - Fighting Old Man GIFs

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Come on, Old Fart (I'm one too), tell us how you REALLY feel.

Couldn't agree more with you. I too, want to see the mental toughness we've been lacking for years. My mantra for the team is "Don't compete....dominate".

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It's been years since I've watched the NBA.  Back when I watched man to man defense was mandatory and any type of zone was called "illegal defense".  Is that still the case?  I'm just trying to see how much experience Coach has against a zone

1 hour ago, Josh said:

It's been years since I've watched the NBA.  Back when I watched man to man defense was mandatory and any type of zone was called "illegal defense".  Is that still the case?  I'm just trying to see how much experience Coach has against a zone

I know your post wasn't knocking the NBA, but you should watch more NBA. The level of play on playoff-quality teams is stunningly good. One of the reasons I saw so much potential for the Mike Woodson hire was because of the analytics and extraordinary development of scheme, team play, and skill in today's NBA:

• Isolate dynamic players
  • Use a screen to isolate them against a  lesser defender
  • Spread out the rest of the defense
  • Draw attention and kick to wing shooters when the dynamic players break down the defense.
  • Put wing shooters in the perimeter spot that they like best--note that Duncan Robinson almost always shoots his threes from the top, and PJ Tucker is invariably a corner three shooter. Based on the Bahamas trip look for Geronimo to shoot many corner threes and Bates and Kopp to shoot top of the key threes this season.

Zone is part of the strategy to combat this schematic development:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29963960/nba-playoffs-why-teams-combating-offensive-revolution-going-zone-defense

42 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

You should watch more NBA--the level of play on playoff-quality teams is stunningly good. One of the reasons I saw so much potential for the Mike Woodson hire was because of the analytics and extraordinary development of scheme, team play, and skill in today's NBA. Zone is part of the strategy to combat the shooting development of the NBA:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29963960/nba-playoffs-why-teams-combating-offensive-revolution-going-zone-defense

Wholeheartedly agree and echoing for emphasis!

The NBA game today is heads and shoulders above college ball (as much as I love college ball and IU). It's not just that it's the best players in the world on the court, with a skill level miles above the average college game, the offensive sets, absurdly good point guard play, switching, flashing, defensive adjustments (and yes zones have been part of the NBA game for years) and ridiculous speed of the game is far beyond college level play. There are always plusses and minuses (the star treatment, hilarious 5-step uncalled travels, etc.) but man if you love basketball there's just no reason to tune out the NBA.

I'm sure it is fun for some.  The star treatment from officials really turns me off.  The fact that they let some players get away with whatever they want while penalizing others makes it unwatchable for me.

Anyway, are there some teams that play primarily zone defense then?  The point of this was not to stray too far off topic to see if Woody had experience against it. Tia

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'm sure it is fun for some.  The star treatment from officials really turns me off.  The fact that they let some players get away with whatever they want while penalizing others makes it unwatchable for me.

Anyway, are there some teams that play primarily zone defense then?  The point of this was not to stray too far off topic to see if Woody had experience against it. Tia

The Miami Heat play as much zone as any team I've seen, but even they probably play it only about 25% of the time.

8 hours ago, Josh said:

You still can't play an actual zone like you see if college.  The defensive player can't just set up shop in the lane.  They can only be in their 3 seconds or they will be called defensive 3 seconds