Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU Baseball vs Minnesota - 4/23 and 4/25 - BTN+

Because of expected weather problems on Saturday, the teams plan to play 2 9-inning games on Friday the 23rd and a single game on Sunday the 25th.  Friday doubleheader will start at 1:00.  Sunday's game scheduled for 11:00 a.m.  All 3 games will be televised on BTN+

Pitching has changed a lot this weekend. Part of which I know why and part I am not sure yet.

On Minnesota's side, their best pitcher Sam Ireland is out for the year after an arm injury last weekend, if things were not bad enough for them already. He also is a Matt Lloyd type and is a line regular, but I am not sure yet if he can still hit or not. We will see that this weekend. 

On our end we have Sommer in first game and Bierman the third like always. However, right now Mudungo is scheduled to throw the second game over Brown and even Bothwell. Not sure if both are injured or in COVID protocol, or if Mercer is just giving them weekends off since the Gophers are so bad. Again, we will find out tomorrow.

I remember in the 2018 series at OSU, the pitching rotation suddenly came out and Milto was not on it (he ended up being injured and missed a few weeks). The difference there was listed instead, were Beauchamp and Herin who were our 3rd and 4th starters and each moved up a day to cover so it was obvious as soon as I saw this Milto was hurt. 

This is completely out of left field. If Bothwell had been listed which would be logical, it would obviously an injury to Brown but with neither listed this is even more mysterious and won't know until tomorrow (I hope both didn't get injured in practice and this is simply giving them a week off against an awful team, or at worst a covid thing for a week or two).

No matter who pitches though and especially with Ireland out, anything short of a sweep against this worst team in Big Ten would be a major disappointment.

6 hours ago, Aaron said:

Pitching has changed a lot this weekend. Part of which I know why and part I am not sure yet.

On Minnesota's side, their best pitcher Sam Ireland is out for the year after an arm injury last weekend, if things were not bad enough for them already. He also is a Matt Lloyd type and is a line regular, but I am not sure yet if he can still hit or not. We will see that this weekend. 

On our end we have Sommer in first game and Bierman the third like always. However, right now Mudungo is scheduled to throw the second game over Brown and even Bothwell. Not sure if both are injured or in COVID protocol, or if Mercer is just giving them weekends off since the Gophers are so bad. Again, we will find out tomorrow.

I remember in the 2018 series at OSU, the pitching rotation suddenly came out and Milto was not on it (he ended up being injured and missed a few weeks). The difference there was listed instead, were Beauchamp and Herin who were our 3rd and 4th starters and each moved up a day to cover so it was obvious as soon as I saw this Milto was hurt. 

This is completely out of left field. If Bothwell had been listed which would be logical, it would obviously an injury to Brown but with neither listed this is even more mysterious and won't know until tomorrow (I hope both didn't get injured in practice and this is simply giving them a week off against an awful team, or at worst a covid thing for a week or two).

No matter who pitches though and especially with Ireland out, anything short of a sweep against this worst team in Big Ten would be a major disappointment.

Do you think maybe they want to keep Bothwell in the pen since we have few lefties in there/simply give Modugno a start? 

This is all assuming Brown has an injury. 

The NCAA has announced a maximum 50% attendance capacity for all spring sports championships, including baseball/the CWS. Even if local regulations allow for more, attendance will still be capped at 50%.

Meanwhile at BKF, after 3 innings of the first game of today's doubleheader, Hoosiers lead 3-0 and should be more.  We've already left 7 on base including the bases loaded at the bottom of the 3rd.  Ashley with an rbi single and Richardson with a 2-run double.  Sommer has given up 2 hits and walked 3.

Minny with a 2-run HR in the top of the 4th to make it a 3-2 ballgame.  We respond with 2 runs of our own on a Colopy single and that's it for Minny's starting pitcher.  A pitcher error on a pickoff attempt moves Colopy to 3rd who then scores on a wild pitch.  After 4 complete innings Hoosiers lead 6-2.

Nothing doing for Minny in the top of the 5th.  In our half, Hopkins reached on a Minny fielding error followed by Espalin getting HBP - second time for him today - and then Drew Ashley hit a double off the top of the center field wall to make it an 8-2 Hoosier lead.  After a couple of IU walks, we loaded the bases with 2 out and Colopy at bat but he grounds out to SS to end the inning.  Second inning this game we've left the bases loaded and we're up to 10 LOB for the game.  Through 5 innings Sommer has allowed 4 hits, struck out 9 and walked 4.  He's thrown 80 pitches.  

Ashley's double.

Minny with a 2-out solo HR in the top of the 7th and that's all for Sommer today.  He gave up 5 hits (2 HR), walked 4 , struck out 11 throwing 101 pitches.  Righthander Grant Macciocchi took the mound and got the 3rd Minny out.

In the Hoosier 7th, Toetz with a 1-out single followed by a Richardson walk and both advanced on a passed ball.  The next pitch was a WP and Toetz scored to make it 9-3 Hoosiers.  Van Pelt then drew his 4th walk of the day to put runners on the corners with 2-out but Colopy struck out to end the inning.   Macciocchi remains on the mound to start the 8th. 

FYI I have an idea what is going on with Brown and Bothwell but its far from confirmed, so until IU offers an explanation I am not going to say anything in case I am wrong.

Don't have much to say about first game. We took candy from a baby as we should.

Miss a catch, make a catch. Ashley tried to make a terrific grab in LF on a ball between everyone that maybe could of been caught. Then a ball to warning track forces him to back peddle for terrific diving catch falling backwards to end inning and prevent run in top 2.

While this is still a game we should win, this is by far the hardest one with Mudungo (who will be a good weekend starter by next year I think) who has never started and their best pitcher left with Ireland out, and to boot he is a lefty which we struggle with.  

Ashley, after having a HR erroneously called a 2 run double off the camera in the first game (I don't blame umps as I thought it was off wall till I saw replay), leaves no doubt this time with a 3 run HR that either cleared the scoreboard or hit off it very high up.

3-0 IU heading to Bottom 4.

Make it 6-0. This is why Minny is not good. After a Hopkins bloop single, Gophers botch an inning ending double play with everyone safe. Then a real double play does end inning but IU firmly in command now at 6-0 after 4.

Mudungo done after just over 70 pitches and 4 and 2/3 inning. Scott in. At this point its clear Brown and Bothwell are unavailable this weekend as Scott comes in and finishes inning.

Scott got the easy bailout as Minny did another stupid play bunting right back to him with 2 outs.