Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - F Julian Phillips - LSU Decommit 3/22

35 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Did he commit?

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He honestly sounds perfect for what Woodson wants in his system. Able to switch on everything and can play inside or outside. That versatility would be very attractive. 

Come on Coach Ya, help us get this one!

42 minutes ago, ramadden13 said:

He honestly sounds perfect for what Woodson wants in his system. Able to switch on everything and can play inside or outside. That versatility would be very attractive. 

Come on Coach Ya, help us get this one!

Phillips and Banks are both very impressive to me.  1 of those 2.

Washington and Clowney are both very impressive to me.  1 of those 2.

So far so good.  

Bossi from this weekend's Exposure Breakout in Georgia -

When I first saw Julian Phillips a little over a year ago, I was impressed by his smooth athleticism and versatility, but I liked him best as a mobile four man. After watching him a few times this weekend, I’ve warmed up to him as a legitimate wing prospect. He’s got good size at 6-foot-7 or so, can really move laterally and his ball skills have come a long way. Long term he should also be a well above average multi-positional defender if he really wants to commit on that end. USC’s late season run made an impression on him and Mike Woodson’s message has impressed him since he took over at Indiana. Alabama, Kansas, Florida State, Ohio State and Wake Forest are among many programs looking to pry him away from home state programs Clemson and South Carolina.

...The Hoosiers plan on running a four-out, one-in NBA-style offense under new head coach Mike Woodson, and according to Wheeler, they see Phillips being able to fill more than one of those four perimeter spots.  “They think he’s a big guard,” Wheeler said. “They think he has guard abilities and think when he’s in a situation to really play that position a lot more, he’ll flourish in that.”     [6'8" guard remind you of anyone?]

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-2022-top-30-prospect-julian-phillips-is-becoming-a-true-inside-outside-threat/?fbclid=IwAR2ajKZx37PsItU2tC-F0wavjri8AOAzNLkX4ehpi7AeWSGWaSV74jH2nHA

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

...The Hoosiers plan on running a four-out, one-in NBA-style offense under new head coach Mike Woodson, and according to Wheeler, they see Phillips being able to fill more than one of those four perimeter spots.  “They think he’s a big guard,” Wheeler said. “They think he has guard abilities and think when he’s in a situation to really play that position a lot more, he’ll flourish in that.”     [6'8" guard remind you of anyone?]

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-2022-top-30-prospect-julian-phillips-is-becoming-a-true-inside-outside-threat/?fbclid=IwAR2ajKZx37PsItU2tC-F0wavjri8AOAzNLkX4ehpi7AeWSGWaSV74jH2nHA

Jeremy Hollowell

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Somebody wrote once that they couldn’t tell what an Archie Miller player looked like. No problem finding a Mike Woodson player. Look for the longest kid in the room. That’s him.

9 minutes ago, Demo said:

Somebody wrote once that they couldn’t tell what an Archie Miller player looked like. No problem finding a Mike Woodson player. Look for the longest kid in the room. That’s him.

*The longest kid in the room that also isn't afraid to shoot from distance.

I won't laundry list our current players, but for context...Yogi, Hulls, Brunk? Not Woodson prototypes.

Watford, Hollowell, Max Hoetzel/Montana, Vic, Thomas Bryant? Woodson style guys.

From Relentless Hoops - Julian Phillips had a steady performance tonight and came through late to lift Upward over Team Speights 69-63. The added consistency to his 3-point shot to go along with his high-level finishing ability is impressive. Versatile and active on defense too.  Finished with 24 pts; 7 reb; 3 stls.

29 minutes ago, mike vannice said:

So does that mean Indiana is out of the picture with him? 7 schools and no mention of the  Hoosiers does not bode well.

I believe the staff feels pretty confident in a few of the other guys at his "position".