Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Miller Kopp to Indiana (Northwestern Transfer)

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Maybe not. But it’s about flexibility and keeping their options open. Barring significant injuries, neither are rotation players this year.

You might be right. We will see.  I have a feeling they are both going to put in the work.  Trey will play.  Woodson himself said that if your not a shooter but know how to play and do the other things to help the team win then your going to have a chance to play.  Trey is going to get minutes.  He gets it.

3 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

You might be right. We will see.  I have a feeling they are both going to put in the work.  Trey will play.  Woodson himself said that if your not a shooter but know how to play and do the other things to help the team win then your going to have a chance to play.  Trey is going to get minutes.  He gets it.

Right. A bunch of people here and on other boards seem fixated on that single aspect (shooting) of the players based on one part of what Woodson wants to do. I highly doubt he and his assistants view the players through such a 1-dimensional lens.

8 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I think this is a good point regarding a player like Galloway.  If he is willing to put in a lot of summer work, be a gritty tough kid, play great D, do the little things then there will be a role for him.  His minutes may swing wildly from game to game and he would have to be good with that. If he continues to want to be here then I think he stays and i assume if he stays Leal stays.  But if either feel the new style will not fit either their skills or when they want to play I could see both decide they want to leave despite what they have said previously. 

I am just guessing but it would seem to me the one most nervous would be Hunter.  Fife has mentioned the need to get Rob back to the best defender in the league level which suggests he is highly valued.  Woodson mentioned the need for Race to improve his 3 point shooting and since he was planning to leave but came back I am sure he had the blessing of the staff to do that.  Leal and Galloway are the young guys at the end of the bench that could be part of the future, want to be here and could be important players at least in practice.

Have not really heard much from Hunter or the staff regarding Hunter.  

21 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I would be very surprised if he gets more than spot minutes next year. We’ve got a number of guys at his position now who are better than him. He plays with good energy, and I don’t doubt that he will work hard, but barring a big jump this summer he isn’t ready. He’s a bad shooter, and it wasn’t just last year. He shot 31% from 3 and 63% from the line in high school. If he can’t shoot the ball well I don’t see him getting minutes over the other guys we have for the 2-4 positions.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I would be very surprised if he gets more than spot minutes next year. We’ve got a number of guys at his position now who are better than him. He plays with good energy, and I don’t doubt that he will work hard, but barring a big jump this summer he isn’t ready. He’s a bad shooter, and it wasn’t just last year. He shot 31% from 3 and 63% from the line in high school. If he can’t shoot the ball well I don’t see him getting minutes over the other guys we have for the 2-4 positions.

Yup.

The guys that know what to do and how to play, hustle their tails off, AND can make shots will play.

Now, if Trey develops into a guy that can make shots? Yes, him.

10 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Right. A bunch of people here and on other boards seem fixated on that single aspect (shooting) of the players based on one part of what Woodson wants to do. I highly doubt he and his assistants view the players through such a 1-dimensional lens.

I could not agree more and wish I could like this more than once! Adding shooters is a much needed and long over due improvement but that is not all Coach Woodson is doing. So far he has added XJ, an intense competitor with a good work ethic, Bates, also an intense competitor with a strong work ethic, and now Kopp, who also competes and is willing to work hard. I'm liking the other trends I see developing in addition to adding shooters. Woody is building a team with players that fill roles and will push other players, not just collecting shooters or assembling talent. 

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We will have 3 or 4 talented kids not getting playing time.  This will be interesting. 

Yes, and that is the way it's supposed to be, right? 

Hopefully 1-2 guys redshirt and that alleviates some of the playing time pressure while building for the future. Not holding my breath, but that would be awesome. 

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup.

The guys that know what to do and how to play, hustle their tails off, AND can make shots will play.

Now, if Trey develops into a guy that can make shots? Yes, him.

Energy guys like Galloway really stick out when other guys on the court are just going through the motions. Over the past half decade or so we've grown accustomed to seeing some players give less than optimal effort. The really good teams don't have to choose between playing guys who play hard and playing guys who are highly skilled because their players have both qualities. Baylor's team last year was full of really talented, competitive guys who will just outwork everyone else. Coach Woodson is building a roster like that. I'm not saying Galloway stinks or anything like that, but at least when we last saw him play he wasn't at that level yet. And that's ok! Not every guy is expected to contribute immediately. We're fortunately in a position where we don't need him to play a lot right now. He's got plenty of time to put in the work and contribute to the program. 

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

Many people also think kids are going to leave a place they love because they aren't starting or getting a lot of minutes.  Some kids have different priorities, and not everyone on a roster can start.

2 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Many people also think kids are going to leave a place they love because they aren't starting or getting a lot of minutes.  Some kids have different priorities, and not everyone on a roster can start.

I think player development will determine who stays versus transfer. If players feel like they are improving, I think they stay. 

4 hours ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

Wow, we are going to be soo deep, how do you pick 5 out of this group to start??

8 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

By height.  

I was thinking alphabetically:

• Bates
  • Duncomb
  • Galloway
  • Geronimo
  • Hunter

Makes me wonder why Joey transferred. Under this, my current theory, he was due for some serious minutes. 

PS: Tom Abernathy endorses this strategy.

6 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

I think player development will determine who stays versus transfer. If players feel like they are improving, I think they stay. 

In a perfect world.  Players wanting more court time will transfer if the path isn't readily visible.  I think in today's landscape, 3 or 4 a year may be regular.  

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

In a perfect world.  Players wanting more court time will transfer if the path isn't readily visible.  I think in today's landscape, 3 or 4 a year may be regular.  

Not sure it will be that drastic. In a year when we had a coaching change, we lost exactly one player who hadn't already used four years of eligibility.

Though I must admit, if Archie had stayed we would likely have blown through that 3 or 4 a year number.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Not sure it will be that drastic. In a year when we had a coaching change, we lost exactly one player who hadn't already used four years of eligibility.

Though I must admit, if Archie had stayed we would likely have blown through that 3 or 4 a year number.

I often wonder what next year's roster would look like if Archie was still the coach. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we didn't have to find out, but I do wonder.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

I often wonder what next year's roster would look like if Archie was still the coach. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we didn't have to find out, but I do wonder.

Wow.  I'd love to have a looking glass to see that without having to live it.     

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

You guys wonder weird things lol 

I'm over here like... I really need a win in Warzone tonight. and you are wanting to know what h*** would look like haha 

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

With the 1 free transfer year, and all our guys having an extra year of eligibility, I believe we see a high number next season regardless of our success or lack thereof on the court.  

We are currently 1 over the limit now for Gunn.  Probably adding 2-3 more.  

TJD will leave.  my guess is another 2 or 3 don't see PT in their future.   

Either way, it will work itself out.  Always does.