Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Miller Kopp to Indiana (Northwestern Transfer)

2 minutes ago, Trish said:

Leal, Trey, and Logan are my odd men out. They each have a long ways to go IMO. Nothing a summer or two can't fix however. 

Guarantee they will be providing some valuable minutes at some point next season. I think all of last years freshman make big jumps and Duncomb is better than you think. 

2 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

IMO people need to adjust their expectations under this regime. Clearly, and I mean clearly the model is going to be NBA factory/reload as apposed to rebuild. Gone are the four or five year wasted project scholarships in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle (a la VO/OG). The message is going to be clear, produce and work and get minutes, because regardless you’re getting recruited over year to year. For me, it’s how IU should be, not squabbling over “potential upside in year 3”. It should and I believe will be, most talented transfers and highly rated freshmen only from here on out. Taking a flyer on a kid because they are from Indiana but probably won’t help win games immediately appears over. And I am for it. As the kids say, iron sharpens iron. Produce or GTFO.

Titus was talking about something interesting the other day around transfers. We may start seeing schools pulling guys to allow them to gain exposure with the expectation that they'll probably transfer to a bigger program in a couple years. So you may have some top schools focusing less on high school recruiting and stay more in the transfer market. That being said, there needs to be someone to look out for them from an education perspective (do credits transfer, etc). 

3 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Titus was talking about something interesting the other day around transfers. We may start seeing schools pulling guys to allow them to gain exposure with the expectation that they'll probably transfer to a bigger program in a couple years. So you may have some top schools focusing less on high school recruiting and stay more in the transfer market. That being said, there needs to be someone to look out for them from an education perspective (do credits transfer, etc). 

Marni Mooney would have helped there :)   I'm sure IU would have resources to make easy academic transitions for anyone, but athletes obviously can get some strings pulled in their favor (no, not like UNC)

17 minutes ago, Trish said:

Leal, Trey, and Logan are my odd men out. They each have a long ways to go IMO. Nothing a summer or two can't fix however. 

If I were either Leal or Galloway, assuming they want to stay, I would absolutely request a redshirt.

22 minutes ago, Trish said:

Leal and Galloway were always more long term developmental guys, and only played as much as they did this year because we were so young and thin. And in truth none of our 4 freshmen were really prepared to play extended minutes this year. But we only had 6 (which is crazy) other healthy scholarship guys, so those 4 freshman needed extended minutes.

Look at some of the top teams in the conference and there are a lot of good freshman that got very limited minutes

4 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Why a redshirt for Leal and Galloway? They both have 4 years of eligibility remaining. Most students don't want to hang around the same college campus for 6 years.

Maybe not. But it’s about flexibility and keeping their options open. Barring significant injuries, neither are rotation players this year.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

What?  They had to drag me away from college life kicking and screaming

Lol for real. 6 years of free college and IU basketball? Sign me up! No point in them wasting a year of eligibility when they won’t get a lot of playing time. They’re the type of guys who won’t play now but could good minutes as upperclassmen. 

11 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Why a redshirt for Leal and Galloway? They both have 4 years of eligibility remaining. Most students don't want to hang around the same college campus for 6 years.

Leal is a Bloomington native. I think he's going to spend a lot more than 6 more years of his life in Monroe county.