Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

USWNT - 2021 Olympic Redemption Edition

The Women have long ago qualified and all 12 teams are finally decided.  An extra year off thanks to the pandemic could help them achieve what hasn’t been done before follow up a WC win with an Olympic win.  

The last olympics they lost in the knockout round for their worst finish ever.  Losing to a Sweden team that parked the busses to great effect.  This loss was the final match for the best women’s goalkeeper ever.  

Now they are back. Rosters haven’t been decided yet.  Will be interesting to see what our undefeated coach decides to do (Team hasn’t lost in about 2 years)  Has to balance taking veterans for the experience while also taking young legs able to handle the tight schedule of the olympics.  

One quirky thing.  The #2 and #3 team didn’t make the tourney because stupid rules. But the #6 team is actually much more dangerous because the #6 team is England. Which competes as Great Britain in the olympics.  Basically the GB coach can take the best players from Wales and Scotland. 

In a few days they will do the draw for groups  

Pot 1 - Japan(Host), United States, Netherlands 

Pot 2 - Sweden, Great Britain, Brazil 

Pot 3 - Canada, Australia, China

Pot 4 - New Zealand, Chile, Zambia 

For a variety of seeding purposes we won’t be grouped with Japan, Netherlands, Canada or Brazil. 

We have 4 possible variations of our pots 2 and 3 combo. Sweden or Great Britain and Australia or China. 4 combos. With Pot 4 really not meaning much. New Zealand sort of can have an impact.  Whichever group they go to will be group of death. 

I want Australia in our group because I want their help to knock whichever European team we get out of the tourney.  

The Draw came in. We got Sweden, New Zealand and Australia in that order. 

Both the other groups have cupcake games.  Zambia and Chile.  I would expect them to lose all 3 games so each other team in the groups will get at least 3 points.  If we can beat Sweden, and Australia and New Zealand can both at least tie them. We can send the Swedes packing before the knockout round. Payback for beating us in 2016. 

Because of the structure of the olympics there’s always going to be 3 teams in the sub 20 range.  They need to add a 4th group for a 16 team field.  Let in two more euro teams and maybe a playoff between the highest remaining Asian and North American team(Replace NA with European if NA is hosting Olympics) 

With the current arrangement it’s 9 maybe 10 legit teams competing for 8 spots in the knockout round. Playing 18 matches to whittle down a team or 2. 

Haven’t had a chance to update but our Ladies beat the Netherlands today in PKs to go to the semis.  Our group was without a doubt the group of death 3 of the 4 teams in the semis are from our group. It’s not possible to have any more than that. 

Team hasn’t looked it’s sharpest but is still Alive and is playing against Canada on Monday for the chance to go to the final against Australia or Sweden 

If anybody can swing it they should definitely try to watch this game.  The last time we played Canada in the olympics it was quite possibly the most exciting match in USWNT history.  Obviously that was 9 years ago but either way this week will contain the last two major games for several core players.  

And if they go out with a Gold it will be an epic run of success. 9 years with 2 Gold Medals and 2 World Cups.  Lloyd and Heath will be out to Tie Rampone with 3 Gold Medals and 2 World Cups. 

4 am eastern Monday morning, yikes. Maybe if it goes into extra time/penalties I can catch it getting ready for work. I remember the 2012 game, it was at Old Trafford. That was one of the best soccer matches I've ever seen at any level.

21 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

4 am eastern Monday morning, yikes. Maybe if it goes into extra time/penalties I can catch it getting ready for work. I remember the 2012 game, it was at Old Trafford. That was one of the best soccer matches I've ever seen at any level.

Yep super early. I luckily get up at 5 to work out on mondays so going to just get up an hour early.  Gold medal game will be tougher. It’s 10 pm which means Brass will be tired on Monday unless it turns into a laugher. Assuming we get there. 

Yeah the really cool thing I like about that 2012 game is the variety of the scoring. Had an Olympico, Header, Penalty and regular strike with foot for the four goals. Also a cool fact 3 of the women on that Canadian team had their listed profession as model 

The US women go down on an absolutely weak penalty to lose 1-0. They play for Bronze on Thursday 

They have been great but not as of late. Many teams have caught up. I am sure we have some young kids ready to move up but I can’t really think of anyone that I have seen that made me think they are the next star.

Seems their intent was not getting young players the experience but building a veteran roster to win. I wonder if the loss will lead to some old favorites falling back in favor of youth.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/uswnt-tokyo-olympics-gold-win-young-players/7saieg8mftdm1gvnfi3i4v8re

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, yogisballin said:

I’ll be honest here. I was glad to see this bunch lose. Some of you may not like that but it is a whole lot more than about the game. The whole kneeling during national anthem done it for me

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

So cheering against US is patriotic?  

11 hours ago, 8bucks said:

They have been great but not as of late. Many teams have caught up. I am sure we have some young kids ready to move up but I can’t really think of anyone that I have seen that made me think they are the next star.

Seems their intent was not getting young players the experience but building a veteran roster to win. I wonder if the loss will lead to some old favorites falling back in favor of youth.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/uswnt-tokyo-olympics-gold-win-young-players/7saieg8mftdm1gvnfi3i4v8re

Idk people say teams are catching up but the US has won 3 of the last 5 major tournaments.   In the 90s they won 3 of the first 5.  This team was poorly constructed and I think the coach is a terrible choice.  Our attack is just unorganized relying on individual domination versus a concerted effort to get a good shot. 

Idk people say teams are catching up but the US has won 3 of the last 5 major tournaments.   In the 90s they won 3 of the first 5.  This team was poorly constructed and I think the coach is a terrible choice.  Our attack is just unorganized relying on individual domination versus a concerted effort to get a good shot. 

Don’t get me wrong here. I was still rooting like hell for US to win. Just was saying at the same time it was good to see them go down simply because I disagreed with their personal stance on the national anthem. That’s all

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Patriotic to root for those kneeling during the national anthem??

7 hours ago, yogisballin said:

Don’t get me wrong here. I was still rooting like hell for US to win. Just was saying at the same time it was good to see them go down simply because I disagreed with their personal stance on the national anthem. That’s all

You actually think their kneeling is stance on the national anthem?

You actually think their kneeling is stance on the national anthem?

No one will ever agree on this debate. It’s not worth having imo, because both sides are fixed. I have strong stance on patriotism but I realize the 2 sides will never see this the same.

They do kneel during the Anthem and that is the time they choose to voice their displeasures.

I’m personally tired of people hating each other and hating our Country.

Some people think kneeling during the national anthem is unpatriotic

Some people think engaging in insurrection against democracy is unpatriotic.

We're all Americans.  We come from different backgrounds, different religions, different economic struggles, different family structures.  We need to lift each other up instead of tearing each other down.