Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Next Season’s Expectations

I agree with a lot of what was said about intangibles: effort, use the bench, better movement on offense, etc...

But looking at the roster, I think it’s fair to say I’m expecting:

- compete for a top 5 finish in conf. 
- be competitive in BTT

- make the NCAA tourney with 8 seed or better

I’d consider realistic, but not expected goals of making the weekend  of the BTT or getting out of the first round of the NCAA on the table. (Sampson won his first tourney game and Davis made the BTT final in their first years). 

I think unlikely, but any one of the following would have even the National media raving about Woody: sweep Purdue, win BTT or make S16 

10 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Xavier /Lander
Parker/Bates
Kopp/Hunter
Race/Geronimo
TJD/Logan

To start the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

In basketball it's never a coach's situation in which they think "These two guys will split this position." That mindset applies to a baseball catcher, i.e. "For the White Sox this year Yasmani Grandal is the starting catcher and Zach Collins will play catcher about 25% of the time."

Instead, on deep, competitive college basketball teams there are:

1. 25 minute + guys (as long as they stay healthy, are not in foul trouble, and the game is not a blowout.) I'm thinking we'll start the season with at least two of those: Trayce Jackson Davis and Xavier Johnson.
  2. Rotation players that will average over 10 minutes per game, and are largely interchangeable with at least a few of their teammates. I'm thinking we'll have eight of those: Phinisee, Geronimo, Thompson, Lander, Bates, Kopp, Hunter, and Stewart.
  3. Over the course of the season about two of those eight are likely to become entrenched as 25+ minute guys. The most likely candidates for that status in my opinion are Phinisee, Thompson, Stewart, Kopp, and Geronimo. 

In basketball it's never a coach's situation in which they think "These two guys will split this position." That mindset applies to a baseball catcher, i.e. "For the White Sox this year Yasmani Grandal is the starting catcher and Zach Collins will play catcher about 25% of the time."
  1. 25 minute + guys (as long as they stay healthy, are not in foul trouble, and the game is not a blowout.) I'm thinking we'll start the season with at least two of those: Trayce Jackson Davis and Xavier Johnson.
  2. Rotation players that will average over 10 minutes per game, and are largely interchangeable with at least a few of their teammates. I'm thinking we'll have eight of those: Phinisee, Geronimo, Thompson, Lander, Bates, Kopp, Hunter, and Stewart.
  3. Over the course of the season about two of those eight are likely to become entrenched as 25+ minute guys. The most likely candidates for that status in my opinion are Phinisee, Thompson, Stewart, Kopp, and Geronimo. 

I’m not as big on Rob. He has regressed, so if he plans on having a starter role, than he will have to be a different player than he was last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’m not as big on Rob. He has regressed, so if he plans on having a starter role, than he will have to be a different player than he was last year.

Same here. It’s just that my last memory of him as a player is not very good. Last season was a terrible one for him. I don’t think he’s a lost cause, but I’m not very optimistic. Hopefully the staff can get rid of whatever demons Archie cast on him.  

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I think Bates has as good or better a chance to be a 25+ minute guy as Geronimo.

Sorry if a double post.  Joe Luanardi prediction for tourney next year pegs us as a 7 seed. I’ll take it for CMWs first year at IU. 

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-basketball-NCAA-Tournament-bracketology-projection-Joe-Lunardi-Top-25-2022-season-164429203/Amp/

On 4/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, ramadden13 said:

I think Bates has as good or better a chance to be a 25+ minute guy as Geronimo.

It's crazy, really.  Normally we'd say a top 25 freshman always starts at Indiana.  I don't have him penciled in to start but if he is as good as people are saying, he may earn that spot quickly.  

I think outside of TJD, everyone on last years team needs to make a major improvement if they want to play. Race may be the next safest but if he cannot hit from outside Kopp will get more of those minutes. Kopp however will need to rebound better if he wants to get those minutes. But everyone, Rob included, will have to improve a lot

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

My crack at the rotation. Asterisk means they can handle the ball and play the 1. 

1: Johnson (can play the 2)/Lander

2: Bates*/Phinisee*/Leal (can play the 3)

3: Stewart* (can play the 2)/Geronimo (Can play the 4)/Galloway (can play the 2)

4: Kopp (can play the 3)/Hunter (can play the 3)

5: Jackson-Davis/Thompson/Duncomb

I think what makes this team go from really good to elite is if Trayce or Race can play the 4 and hit the three ball. I think Johnson, Bates, Stewart, Kopp, and Jackson-Davis see the most minutes with Rob and Race not too far behind. The rest of the minutes left will be up for competition I think. One game Lander may see 20 minutes and maybe 10 the next game. Duncomb may see big minutes if our bigs get into foul trouble. Really like this team. Starting to think this is a second weekend NCAA Tournament team. I think the key with this team is minutes. Not necessarily who starts but who is in the game when it matters most. 

33 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

It's 6 o'clock and no commitments today?  WTF

I am really disappointed.  Seems like Woodson is already regressing after the quick start.

;)

Edit:  Seriously though, this has been a real good couple of weeks with good news every few days.  I got spoiled.  It is going to be a long 7 months waiting to see what these guys can do.

On 4/20/2021 at 9:34 AM, str8baller said:

I agree with a lot of what was said about intangibles: effort, use the bench, better movement on offense, etc...

But looking at the roster, I think it’s fair to say I’m expecting:

- compete for a top 5 finish in conf. 
- be competitive in BTT

- make the NCAA tourney with 8 seed or better

I’d consider realistic, but not expected goals of making the weekend  of the BTT or getting out of the first round of the NCAA on the table. (Sampson won his first tourney game and Davis made the BTT final in their first years). 

I think unlikely, but any one of the following would have even the National media raving about Woody: sweep Purdue, win BTT or make S16 

If he wins the BTT he should get a $500,000 bonus. Seriously. It's stupid how bad IU has been there. 

On 4/19/2021 at 11:03 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Takes FIVE years to learn how to deliver fries in Archie's system 

I fixed it for you.  We didn't see anything delivered during the 4 years he was here, so the length of time HAS to be longer.