Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2021) SG Tamar Bates to INDIANA

3 minutes ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

The 2015/2016 alone roster has insane talent in hindsight. Crean had his chances. 

We couldn't get pass the Sweet 16 with 

- TWO TOP FIVE DRAFT PICKS

and

- TWO NBA STARTERS

twice. (Cody & Oladipo) (Bryant & O.G.)

However, O.G. was hurt with the ACL and we ran into UNC shooting a career night. Nonetheless. Sickening. 

7 minutes ago, Trish said:

and

- TWO NBA STARTERS

However, O.G. was hurt with the ACL and we ran into UNC shooting a career night. Nonetheless. Sickening. 

OG tore his ACL that next year. He played against UNC in the sweet 16 but he was only a freshman. Blackmon was the one out with an ACL (I think it was ACL) that season. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

OG tore his ACL that next year. He played against UNC in the sweet 16 but he was only a freshman. Blackmon was the one out with an ACL (I think it was ACL) that season. 

RoJo was out too--he tried to give it a go against Kentucky in the round of 32 game but wasn't himself. 

For that Sweet 16 game our guard rotation was Yogi, Zeisloft, and walk-on Harrison Niego.

Our frontcourt was STACKED: Bryant, a healthy Hartman, Troy, Bielfeldt, OG, Juwan.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

And Oladipo was 144.

Rankings are not infallible, but they are good predictors.

Yep.
I think the rankers actually do a pretty job job, when you consider there are literally tens of thousands of high school players every year, but view the rankings as assessing the odds of a player being good rather than any sort of guarantee.  Ie....although Vic was 144th I think the odds of a team being good with top 25 guys is greater than a team with 144th type guys. Not a guarantee but better odds for success. 
Just look at Knight. We all agree he is one of the best ever, and did not need the very best talent, but he was in 3 final fours after burger boys were invented and 3/5 of the ‘81 starters were burger boys, the ‘87 team (the least talented in my opinion) had 1 while the ‘92 team had five burger boys. Talent helps....a lot.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I remember being bummed when we didn’t get Aminu Muhammad. Well, after today’s update Tamar is ranked two spots ahead of Aminu in ESPN’s rankings. 

And, unlike Aminu Muhammad, has a good outside shot.

and
- TWO NBA STARTERS

The Syracuse loss stings, but UNC was unbeatable that night. We knew they could bully us inside but hoped we could overcome it with superior outside shooting. The strategy was to force outside shots, and then they had their best shooting game of the year. I was disappointed because that IU team was so fun, but nothing they could do in that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

Yep.
I think the rankers actually do a pretty job job, when you consider there are literally tens of thousands of high school players every year, but view the rankings as assessing the odds of a player being good rather than any sort of guarantee.  Ie....although Vic was 144th I think the odds of a team being good with top 25 guys is greater than a team with 144th type guys. Not a guarantee but better odds for success. 
Just look at Knight. We all agree he is one of the best ever, and did not need the very best talent, but he was in 3 final fours after burger boys were invented and 3/5 of the ‘81 starters were burger boys, the ‘87 team (the least talented in my opinion) had 1 while the ‘92 team had five burger boys. Talent helps....a lot.

yep

They rely on the local guys to steer the best talent to certain AAU teams.  That is why some slip through the cracks.  The national guys prefer to watch certain AAU events and rank heavily on a few games.  Then adjust.  Generally the best players get placed on those teams but not always.  

I think the rankings do a great job, but you have late bloomers, team chemistry, and some guys that just don't play on the right level of AAU to be seen enough.  

15 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

The Syracuse loss stings, but UNC was unbeatable that night. We knew they could bully us inside but hoped we could overcome it with superior outside shooting. The strategy was to force outside shots, and then they had their best shooting game of the year. I was disappointed because that IU team was so fun, but nothing they could do in that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Syracuse loss definitely hurts, but maybe I am alone but it stings a little less in retrospect seeing how many other teams Syracuse’s zone has done that to ij the tournament.

I’ll still probably never get over how unprepared it seemed we were, but I think history has born out that their zone is really hard to prepare for on short notice and gets a lot of people.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

yep

They rely on the local guys to steer the best talent to certain AAU teams.  That is why some slip through the cracks.  The national guys prefer to watch certain AAU events and rank heavily on a few games.  Then adjust.  Generally the best players get placed on those teams but not always.  

I think the rankings do a great job, but you have late bloomers, team chemistry, and some guys that just don't play on the right level of AAU to be seen enough.  

Then you also have Ja Morant who played with Zion and got pretty much completely ignored and went #2 overall two years later. Can’t believe no one realized how good he was. 

4 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I remember being bummed when we didn’t get Aminu Muhammad. Well, after today’s update Tamar is ranked two spots ahead of Aminu in ESPN’s rankings. 

Noticed that. One of the best recruiting jobs to IU in our history to be honest. Done in about 3 weeks for a top 25 player. Crazy 

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It’s funny, my initial reaction to the Woodson hire was straight disappointment - with all of the build up surrounding Beard etc. 

But after just a little time, starting to think about the draw Woody could and probably would have in recruiting as a successful, long- term, well-respected NBA coach, and his IU pedigree and the likely immediate credibility all of that would bring, and his record of improving teams in the NBA, I then thought wait, this could turn out to be really good. 

And now we’re seeing major early returns. Talk about hitting the ground running. I mean, damn. Beyond impressive. Immediately brought players back and filled clear needs in transfers and landed a true two-way stud, elite recruit. And already connecting well with the players by all accounts. 
I’m not sure what high school recruiting is going to look like in a year with this whole portal thing, but I am sure our recruiting is going to be strong going forward — and with that there’s every reason to believe now that we’ll be a really strong program again and soon.

There was a YouTube video that I found and posted when Woody’s name first came up that got me started on the Woodson train. It was JJReddick and Melo talking about Woody with such joy. It was clearly as real as real could be.

I was also a fan of Beard and a few others; but developing a ‘LEO-like’ culture in basketball was what I was ultimately hoping for.

11 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It’s funny, my initial reaction to the Woodson hire was straight disappointment - with all of the build up surrounding Beard etc. 

But after just a little time, starting to think about the draw Woody could and probably would have in recruiting as a successful, long- term, well-respected NBA coach, and his IU pedigree and the likely immediate credibility all of that would bring, and his record of improving teams in the NBA, I then thought wait, this could turn out to be really good. 

And now we’re seeing major early returns. Talk about hitting the ground running. I mean, damn. Beyond impressive. Immediately brought players back and filled clear needs in transfers and landed a true two-way stud, elite recruit. And already connecting well with the players by all accounts. 
I’m not sure what high school recruiting is going to look like in a year with this whole portal thing, but I am sure our recruiting is going to be strong going forward — and with that there’s every reason to believe now that we’ll be a really strong program again and soon.

We’re going to find out very quickly if this was the grand slam most of us fans didn’t see coming.

this team should no doubt be a tourney team and could make noise if these parts gel. The 22’ and 23’ recruiting should boom

7 hours ago, Trish said:

and

- TWO NBA STARTERS

IU loss to cuse was so bad Bohiem (of all people) was mocking Crean post game.