Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2021) SG Tamar Bates to INDIANA

23 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Things that make me smile:

"Bates is a shot maker, the most essential tool in today’s game and Bates has it in spades. He played a vital role on this season’s IMG team as the best perimeter shooter, but also their best perimeter defender," Rivals' national analyst Jamie Shaw said. "It may be easy to pigeonhole Bates into the 3 & D moniker, and that is not a bad thing, but he has a little more shake to his game than that. Bates is good in transition and can knock down a 1-2 dribble pull up, but make no mistakes his offensive game is predicated on his deep range."

12 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Things that make me smile:

"Bates is a shot maker, the most essential tool in today’s game and Bates has it in spades. He played a vital role on this season’s IMG team as the best perimeter shooter, but also their best perimeter defender," Rivals' national analyst Jamie Shaw said. "It may be easy to pigeonhole Bates into the 3 & D moniker, and that is not a bad thing, but he has a little more shake to his game than that. Bates is good in transition and can knock down a 1-2 dribble pull up, but make no mistakes his offensive game is predicated on his deep range."

Did you know that it cost over $70,000 for one year going to IMG-Bradenton? And did you see the following article about a fringe benefit for one student?/sad and sick    https://lawandcrime.com/crime/former-florida-private-school-teacher-charged-with-driving-student-to-beach-engaging-in-sex-acts/

On 9/22/2021 at 1:04 PM, Dave from Dayton said:

Did you know that it cost over $70,000 for one year going to IMG-Bradenton? And did you see the following article about a fringe benefit for one student?/sad and sick    https://lawandcrime.com/crime/former-florida-private-school-teacher-charged-with-driving-student-to-beach-engaging-in-sex-acts/

I don't see the basketball player tuition in that article (lists football players etc., how about that golf tuition?) but sounds about right, though would bet they get sizeable schollys, and it's an investment. My daughter went to Phillips Exeter (in NH), cost well over $50K a year but she had a 2/3 scholarship, and is now on a full-ride scholarship at Vanderbilt -- which is freaking amazing, and she wouldn't have that without the boarding school investment in her future.

The stuff about the teacher is unfortunate, and it's going on all over the place, male and female teachers. The public high school where my two sons went has had at least 3 teachers charged in such scandals, male and female, within the past few years. 

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I don't see the basketball player tuition in that article (lists football players etc., how about that golf tuition?) but sounds about right, though would bet they get sizeable schollys, and it's an investment. My daughter went to Phillips Exeter (in NH), cost well over $50K a year but she had a 2/3 scholarship, and is now on a full-ride scholarship at Vanderbilt -- which is freaking amazing, and she wouldn't have that without the boarding school investment in her future.

The stuff about the teacher is unfortunate, and it's going on all over the place, male and female teachers. The public high school where my two sons went has had at least 3 teachers charged in such scandals, male and female, within the past few years. 

1. Spot on!
  2. Phillips Exeter! Vandy on a full ride! Geez HH, that kid is just. a. little. impressive!

My daughter went to high school at American Heritage in Delray Florida on a theater/music/academic 75% off ride. Would have been $50k otherwise. When she got there, we discovered that the 90%+ of kids were there without a scholarship and paying full freight--mainly very wealthy families that wanted to say that their kid graduated from a private high school with Ivy league and D1 sports destinations. As with HH, my daughter is now on a more than 50% college ride for musical theater at Boston Conservatory.  And the school can say to wealthy parents "look ... another of our kids got somewhere good."

IMG is a little different because they are sports-centered only, but methinks it is supported by the wealthy golf, lacrosse, etc families who pay full freight.  My son sings classical--a very small and hard to find skill for universities. Every single member of his freshman incoming class got at least 50% off college tuition, and he had four our five offers like that (sadly, including one he turned down from IU).  Basketball is likely the small, niche program at IMG where every single kid gets an all but free ride and helps with the school's resume.

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

1. Spot on!
  2. Phillips Exeter! Vandy on a full ride! Geez HH, that kid is just. a. little. impressive!

My daughter went to high school at American Heritage in Delray Florida on a theater/music/academic 75% off ride. Would have been $50k otherwise. When she got there, we discovered that the 90%+ of kids were there without a scholarship and paying full freight--mainly very wealthy families that wanted to say that their kid graduated from a private high school with Ivy league and D1 sports destinations. As with HH, my daughter is now on a more than 50% college ride for musical theater at Boston Conservatory.  And the school can say to wealthy parents "look ... another of our kids got somewhere good."

IMG is a little different because they are sports-centered only, but methinks it is supported by the wealthy golf, lacrosse, etc families who pay full freight.  My son sings classical--a very small and hard to find skill for universities. Every single member of his freshman incoming class got at least 50% off college tuition, and he had four our five offers like that (sadly, including one he turned down from IU).  Basketball is likely the small, niche program at IMG where every single kid gets an all but free ride and helps with the school's resume.

Is it too late for me to start singing classical?

:)

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Hopefully that means that Tamar is healthy and ready to roll in exactly 8 days, 9 hours, 16 minutes, and 5 seconds.

Check that 8 days, nine hours, 15 minutes , and 50 seconds.

Check that 8 da.... ah... you get the idea.

Travis Branham's list of sleeper freshmen.

Tamar Bates | Indiana | SG | No. 29 Overall

Mike Woodson took over in Bloomington and quickly got to work on the recruiting trail. He hit the transfer portal hard but also landed one highly touted high school prospect in Tamar Bates.

The 6-foot-4, 175-pound shooting guard out of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy broke out as a star in the 2021 class last high school season. The lefty is a confident and skilled scorer who is also capable of playmaking for his teammates.

There is age and experience on Indiana's perimeter with guys like Xavier Johnson, Rob Phinisee, Parker Stewart and even Khristian Lander but Bates is expected to have a serious role with the Hoosiers this upcoming season.

Bates skillset and his three-level scoring will be valuable to Woodson's program as they get things rolling in year one.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/LongFormArticle/Sleeper-freshmen-preview-college-basketball-Kobe-Bufkin-Tamar-Bates-Kowacie-Reeves-Tyrese-Hunter-Malaki-Branham-Josh-Minott-Jabari-Smith-174513755/#174513755_1