Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2021) SG Tamar Bates to INDIANA

On 4/19/2021 at 12:16 PM, LamarCheeks said:

I wonder if he's really gonna wear No. 53? In a way, I like it. It's something a little different (and maybe in homage to his grandmother?). But it will be extremely difficult to live up to the legacy of Ross Hales and Tom Geyer! 

Didn't Earl Calloway wear a number in the fifties.

That kind of assessment changes my opinion of his likely use. Maybe we do have another 20+ mpg player.

XJ, Stewart, Bates, Rob, and Kopp for the 1-3 seems to be a very, very strong group, eh?

Last year the 4 and 5 were our strength. This year Trayce, Race, Jerome, a sophomore Jordan, and Logan seems like an upgrade over last year, but that won't necessarily be our featured or strongest group!

If Jordan Geronimo takes a big jump this team could be pretty special.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Fwiw, James Blackmon was 20th in his class on ESPN. Not an apples to apples comparison, but still interesting. 

And Oladipo was 144.

Rankings are not infallible, but they are good predictors.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

And Oladipo was 144.

Rankings are not infallible, but they are good predictors.

You definitely have your outliers like Oladipo, OG, Juwan Morgan. But, if you're regularly landing top 50 players you're going to get good results more often than not. 

These are the top 50 recruits we've gotten since 2011 (sorry if I forget any):

Cody Zeller

Yogi Ferrell

Jeremy Hollowell

Noah Vonleh

James Blackmon, Jr.

Robert Johnson

Thomas Bryant

De'Ron Davis

Romeo Langford

Trayce Jackson-Davis

Khristian Lander

Tamar Bates 

Leaving out Lander/Bates since they are unknowns at this point, that's 10 guys. Hollowell was a total dud, Davis was underwhelming due to injuries, but the other 8 guys were all good players at IU. Looking at the guys we've gotten during that period in the 50-100 range, there's a lot more variance. Troy Williams, for example, on the good end. Hanner Perea, for example, on the dud end. It remains to be seen what happens with Lander/Bates, but if history is an indicator there's a good chance we like what we get from them. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You definitely have your outliers like Oladipo, OG, Juwan Morgan. But, if you're regularly landing top 50 players you're going to get good results more often than not. 

Cody Zeller

Yogi Ferrell

Jeremy Hollowell

Noah Vonleh

James Blackmon, Jr.

Robert Johnson

Thomas Bryant

De'Ron Davis

Romeo Langford

Trayce Jackson-Davis

Khristian Lander

Tamar Bates 

Leaving out Lander/Bates since they are unknowns at this point, that's 10 guys. Hollowell was a total dud, Davis was underwhelming due to injuries, but the other 8 guys were all good players at IU. Looking at the guys we've gotten during that period in the 50-100 range, there's a lot more variance. Troy Williams, for example, on the good end. Hanner Perea, for example, on the dud end. It remains to be seen what happens with Lander/Bates, but if history is an indicator there's a good chance we like what we get from them. 

Man... I forgot about Hollowell. I had high expectations for him. 

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Cody Zeller

Yogi Ferrell

Jeremy Hollowell

Noah Vonleh

James Blackmon, Jr.

Robert Johnson

Thomas Bryant

De'Ron Davis

Romeo Langford

Trayce Jackson-Davis

Khristian Lander

Tamar Bates 

Wouldn't call Hollowell a total dud - he was talented, just had some effort issues. Plus its hard to judge him since he was buried on a great team for the first half of his 2 years at IU (small sample size)

2 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

Wouldn't call Hollowell a total dud - he was talented, just had some effort issues. Plus its hard to judge him since he was buried on a great team for the first half of his 2 years at IU (small sample size)

His biggest issue was effort. But Crean trying to make him Watford 2.0 really hurt him. 

25 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Cody Zeller

Yogi Ferrell

Jeremy Hollowell

Noah Vonleh

James Blackmon, Jr.

Robert Johnson

Thomas Bryant

De'Ron Davis

Romeo Langford

Trayce Jackson-Davis

Khristian Lander

Tamar Bates 

We could win a whole lotta games with that roster.