Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2021) SG Tamar Bates to INDIANA

I must have missed  what  is Bates hometown in Indiana. Because it's a well known fact that Woody can't recruit outside of the state according to the "experts" in the media...

(that was sarcasm for those who missed it)

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I must have missed  what  is Bates hometown in Indiana. Because it's a well known fact that Woody can't recruit outside of the state according to the "experts" in the media...

(that was sarcasm for those who missed it)

It is Bloomington now :)!

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Haha we're back to the "scholarships will work themselves out" phase that so many fans hated under Crean

IMO, that is preferable to the leaving multiple scholarships unfilled for no intelligent reason phase we were in with Archie. Transfers have been the rule not the exception in college basketball for a long time, now that there is no requirement for kids to sit out a year after the first transfer its going to happen even more frequently. Crean was, perhaps, a little too aggressive for his time at IU but it looks like that is going to be closer to the norm going forward. 

4 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

I'm not too worried about Galloway. He may not light up the stat sheet but his basketball IQ is too high to keep him off the court. I'd think Woodson understands the value of a guy that understands his role and puts his teammates in the best position to succeed. 

If Trey could fix his shot, he will be an exceptionally important to this team going forward. He has a high basketball IQ and makes the team better overall when he's on the floor. He's definitely an intangibles kind of guy that you need to win.

Heck, if he can just become a decent mid-range shooter, he will be very valuable. 

3 hours ago, iu eyedoc said:

Leal and Galloway were 3 star #150ish recruits. At high major programs those should be spot minute guys as freshman and sophmores. Those guys are Brian Evans, Matt Nover, Roderick Wilmont, hell they are Dane Fife. You need those guys on a team. They are harder to keep happy with the transfer portal being so available, but if they are Hoosiers for life they will carve out their deserved space.

Yep. There seems to be such a preoccupation with players being great from the moment that they step on the floor that people don't seem to think that many players need a couple of years to get better. I honestly wish that IU would be a bit more like Purdue in that respect. The Boilers still redshirt a number of guys in their program, and those players don't waste a Frosh year not playing. 

Players like Leal, Phin and Galloway are important to be there and be leaders in their upperclassman years. 

I'm so excited to get Bates. I think he's a stud on the court but these are the top of guys you need off the court to build the culture we want. This is going to be one of our favorite players and a true leader that I think we've been missing the last few years. We have a bunch of great kids but I love hearing about the fire Tamar and Xavier are going to bring. 

28 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

IMO, that is preferable to the leaving multiple scholarships unfilled for no intelligent reason phase we were in with Archie. Transfers have been the rule not the exception in college basketball for a long time, now that there is no requirement for kids to sit out a year after the first transfer its going to happen even more frequently. Crean was, perhaps, a little too aggressive for his time at IU but it looks like that is going to be closer to the norm going forward. 

Absolutely!  I hope those that knocked Cream for it have moved forward

13 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

"I want to be the loudest guy and the loudest team in the gym.” 

I absolutely love this guy already. 

This here^^^^^ is what has been missing. There used to be a time when IU had guys who would bark at or bump chests with an opposing player instead of helping them up. That competitiveness and confidence is what the program needs in spades.