Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2021) SG Tamar Bates to INDIANA

Tyler Tachman -

Just spoke with Tamar Bates. He said his relationship with Mike Woodson was big in his decision to commit to IU: “I knew him while he was in the league coaching the Knicks and winning championships... It was crazy seeing him saying so many good things about me.”

Bates said being overlooked has motivated him: “That’s part of the reason that I play as hard as I do... I like it that way. When I perform the way that I do, as a result of the work that I put in, it’s not a surprise to me.”

I asked Tamar about his nickname “scoop.” He said his mom gave it to him when he was little because he ate a lot, namely Fig Newtons. One of his mom’s favorite DJ’s was Fatman Scoop. “As I got older, they took off the ‘Fatman’ and just called me ‘scoop’”.

9 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Tyler Tachman -

Just spoke with Tamar Bates. He said his relationship with Mike Woodson was big in his decision to commit to IU: “I knew him while he was in the league coaching the Knicks and winning championships... It was crazy seeing him saying so many good things about me.”

Bates said being overlooked has motivated him: “That’s part of the reason that I play as hard as I do... I like it that way. When I perform the way that I do, as a result of the work that I put in, it’s not a surprise to me.”

I asked Tamar about his nickname “scoop.” He said his mom gave it to him when he was little because he ate a lot, namely Fig Newtons. One of his mom’s favorite DJ’s was Fatman Scoop. “As I got older, they took off the ‘Fatman’ and just called me ‘scoop’”.

Winning championships?

35 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

And yet he was nothing more than a bit player his first 2 seasons and then just a complementary one as a Jr and Sr.

Point is there are only 200 player minutes per game and it isn't a shame that 2 moderately recruited guys, as Fr and So,  are 3rd or 4th off bench minutes guys. Some of my favorite Hoosiers all time were that early.

I agree with Leal and Galloway probably needing to wait and develop, but using Fife as an example of a guy who was rated lower and needed to develop did not fit IMO.

Fife was a big time recruit when he got here.  Now if you wanted to compare expectations to Greshman results, Lander would be a better comparison to Fife IMO.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Haha we're back to the "scholarships will work themselves out" phase that so many fans hated under Crean

Not defending Crean at all, but with NCAA opening up one-time immediate eligibility transfers, I would expect to see 1 or 2 enter the portal annually.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

From reading Tamar's comments, it sounds like Coach Woodson is really selling his up tempo, NBA style offense. I really hope he's able to get it going in the Big 10. That's the kind of offense that talented kids want to play for. They want to get up and down the floor and take a lot of threes. Archie's offense was so boring. I don't blame any recruits, especially guards, for watching us play and not wanting to come here. I can't wait to see what Woody's offense looks like, and I can't wait for recruits to get to see it too. 

He will have to be on the refs constantly to make sure they are not allowing tackle hoops like they usually do.

27 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Wow.
We are already downplaying his skills.
You forgot Bird, Kareem, Magic and Kobe. Tough crowd.

It's called "managing expectations." For example, while I think he should average 50 ppg I will expect only 25 ppg.

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Not defending Crean at all, but with NCAA opening up one-time immediate eligibility transfers, I would expect to see 1 or 2 enter the portal annually.

For the record, I never minded it.  The players didn't seem to, so why would I?  

Has there been any talk of increasing the scholarship number limit since the players have been given an extra year?

9 minutes ago, Josh said:

Haha we're back to the "scholarships will work themselves out" phase that so many fans hated under Crean

TJD will almost certainly go pro. if he doesn't progress enough to do that for whatever reason, I think he would transfer. So there is Gunn's scholarship available without a transfer if they fill the last spot with a multi-year player.