Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2021) SG Tamar Bates to INDIANA

I'm not too worried about Galloway. He may not light up the stat sheet but his basketball IQ is too high to keep him off the court. I'd think Woodson understands the value of a guy that understands his role and puts his teammates in the best position to succeed. 

Unless Galloway can shoot 35% from 3, I can't see him getting much time. At this point I'd think he's behind Rob, Lander, XJ, Stewart, and Bates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight69 said:

Stinks for Anthony and Trey since you can tell they want to be at IU. Hope they can earn some minutes or get an opportunity elsewhere if they desire

Their advantage is that they already have a year of playing in college and they could have a big sophomore jump in improvement. Plus, this just makes the backcourt that much more talented during practice which should help everyone improve.

10 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Unless Galloway can shoot 35% from 3, I can't see him getting much time. At this point I'd think he's behind Rob, Lander, XJ, Stewart, and Bates

You may be right, but he was also starting for a bit last year before the back injury. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

As a junior, he averaged 22.1 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 2.0 steals per game. Bates was a 44 percent three-point shooter who shot 58 percent from the floor overall and 88 percent from the free-throw line in 2019-20.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/class-of-2021-guard-tamar-bates-commits-to-indiana/

Yasir Rosemond @Coach_Ya

It’s a GREAT day to be a Hoosier

image.png

I might be most excited about his free throw shooting!

I don't put a lot of stock in highlight videos because they're just that -- highlight videos. But what I like about this is seeing Bates breaking defenders down and shooting 3s, shooting jumpers off the dribble, shooting fall-away jumpers. 

Pretty much all our guys have done for past for years is stand there and shoot. And only if they're wide open. And they'd usually miss. 

PG- Johnson/ RP
2G- Stewart/Lander/Leal
SF- Bates/Hunter/Galloway
PF- Race/ Geronimo
C-  TJD/ Duncomb
Just wondering if we are done with the roster  or will we see any movement either way with the roster.

I would switch Lander and Rob . Rob would be a 2 guard on this team IMO. Lander would be a point guard.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

I agree, he DOES need to improve his away from the basket shooting, but maybe he is able to shoot better from outside and wasn’t able to show it last year. Time will tell.

I may be proven wrong (won't be the first time), but I'm not counting Leal out yet. He started slow, and that gave him a seat on the bench, and since Archie was so stubborn, he never got a chance to play decent minutes. But I watched his intensity and skills grow over the course of the season, and I'm not counting him out as a last option at guard behind all the "names".

We'll see.

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I may be proven wrong (won't be the first time), but I'm not counting Leal out yet. He started slow, and that gave him a seat on the bench, and since Archie was so stubborn, he never got a chance to play decent minutes. But I watched his intensity and skills grow over the course of the season, and I'm not counting him out as a last option at guard behind all the "names".

We'll see.

Leal has a skill that translates to any roster or any system (execpt Archie's lol). He can spot up and shoot.

He will be fine if he continues to work on that skill. 

Jeez Louise! i just watched a highlight reel on this kid. I have to say he is the most versatile guard we have recruited in who knows how long. athletic, great BBall IQ, vision, fearless, passing, shooting. If this can translate into the college game, OMG we got us a zinger!

22 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

https://247sports.com/college/missouri/Article/Meyers-Mailbag-Tamar-Bates-Villanova-and-Nate-Oats-Alabama-Marquette-Oklahoma-State-Missouri-164237976/

This article is a few days old from Jerry Meyer. But a quote that stood out to me...

"I don’t know if he will end up a five-star in the 2021 247Sports Composite, but I think he will at least end up close."

I love that in the article, which was written on FRIDAY, Meyers said Bate’s recruitment was still a long way off but Woody signs him the very next business day....LOL!!! Wonder if he quickly puts in a crystal ball for IU?

23 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I don't put a lot of stock in highlight videos because they're just that -- highlight videos. But what I like about this is seeing Bates breaking defenders down and shooting 3s, shooting jumpers off the dribble, shooting fall-away jumpers. 

Pretty much all our guys have done for past for years is stand there and shoot. And only if they're wide open. And they'd usually miss. 

I feel the same about highlight videos but there were 3 things that immediately stuck out to me as well.

1. I don't think his percentages were a fluke. He has pretty good form on his jump shot.

2. He appears comfortable both going to the basket and finishing with either hand.

3. He looks to distribute and doesn't appear to hunt for his shot.

You may be right, but he was also starting for a bit last year before the back injury. 

If Galloway is playing significant minutes and hasn't drastically improved his shot, that would be a very bad sign for IU. The fact that he started for a bad IU team does not mean he is the caliber of a B10 starter. IU's guard depth should be significantly better in 2021-22.