Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - PF Kaleb Banks to INDIANA

6 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Gonna be interesting. I’ve got him slotted as the backup 3 to Mgbako.  

X/Cupps

Gallo/Gunn

Mgbako/Banks

Reneau/Walker

Ware/Sparks

Seems to be lots of versatility 3-5. I don’t think we see 3 guard lineups much this year unless Cupps proves he has to be on the floor.  I see our 4s as 5s as need be so the slide can happen that way to create playing time too but Ware, Reneau, Mgbako gonna get first dibs 3-5 and the play will dictate from there.  

I like Banks a lot. Not sure I really see him sneaking minutes at the 2 but that would be slick if he was good enough for that.  

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Gonna be interesting. I’ve got him slotted as the backup 3 to Mgbako.  

X/Cupps

Gallo/Gunn

Mgbako/Banks

Reneau/Walker

Ware/Sparks

Seems to be lots of versatility 3-5. I don’t think we see 3 guard lineups much this year unless Cupps proves he has to be on the floor.  I see our 4s as 5s as need be so the slide can happen that way to create playing time too but Ware, Reneau, Mgbako gonna get first dibs 3-5 and the play will dictate from there.  

I like Banks a lot. Not sure I really see him sneaking minutes at the 2 but that would be slick if he was good enough for that.  

Will he be able to knock down open 3’s? Can he defend small guys on the perimeter? Honestly, if he could knock down open shots, I wouldn’t mind seeing them experiment with a 2-3 zone. All that length should be able to get to shooters and rebound decently.  

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Will he be able to knock down open 3’s? Can he defend small guys on the perimeter? Honestly, if he could knock down open shots, I wouldn’t mind seeing them experiment with a 2-3 zone. All that length should be able to get to shooters and rebound decently.  

Hmm, interesting. Has IU played any zone under Woodson? I can't recall that.

2 hours ago, str8baller said:

Not gonna happen. Nail, slot, rim.

And length is very effective in that system.

On 8/23/2023 at 9:05 PM, Hardwood83 said:

Hmm, interesting. Has IU played any zone under Woodson? I can't recall that.

No, and I doubt he does it given his background. I was wondering more than predicting. :)

But it’d be one way to get guys like Mbako and Banks on the floor together with our other bigs. Those guys are long and pretty athletic but I wonder about their ability to stay in front of some of the B1G’s better combo guards (i.e. games like PSU and Miami last year).  

And while we’ll have bigs in the paint, I’m more worried about recovery after a couple passes. getting beat off the dribble early in the shot clock will potentially be a problem for us against some teams when XJ and Galloway aren’t out there together.