Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - PF Kaleb Banks to Tulane

Banks’ issue is that among the recruits/commits he’s the least well-coached. Easily. Where it’s really glaring is with his defensive fundamentals, which are just bad. He struggles to maintain ball awareness and his execution of rudimentary ball/you/man stuff is not good. He’s also got enough inconsistency in his shot mechanics that he’s very streaky from range. And his effort comes and goes a little bit. BUT, he’s a really talented kid. Good athlete. Good frame. Can really run. He’s got some post fundamentals in place. He’s got a jump hook. He’s got a drop step. He can face up and create space. He can handle in the open court and take it end to end. He’s a pretty good passer off the dribble. He’s got really good hands and he’s a good rebounder on both ends. And he plays easily through contact. His issues are just developmental. He doesn’t have a trait or skill like Trayce’s jumper where you know it’s never gonna come. He’s gonna be a good player, possibly really good, but he’ll only play as early as his D will allow. 
Do you think a juwan type trajectory could be a fair comp?

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

As far as impact, yes. As far as a player, Banks likes to handle the ball more. More outside stuff, less paint stuff.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I’d say a reasonable skill set comp is Hollowell.

Of course, hopefully he won’t suck like Hollowell.

13 minutes ago, maharkn said:

Do you think a juwan type trajectory could be a fair comp?

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

If you’re talking in terms of the way his role would expand, yeah, that sounds reasonable. In terms of an IU player comp, I’ve seen the Watford comp, but I don’t really buy that one. He has more similarities to Jeremy Hollowell, minus the whole hating basketball part. Banks is a better athlete than Holliwell, but he has a similarly broad combo forward skill set without necessarily having a really exceptional one. 

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I’d say a reasonable skill set comp is Hollowell.

Of course, hopefully he won’t suck like Hollowell.

See, if I’d been concise like you, I’d have gotten there first. But concise is not in my toolkit.

12 minutes ago, Demo said:

See, if I’d been concise like you, I’d have gotten there first. But concise is not in my toolkit.

At least I didn’t go with the usual “he reminds me of Aaron Craft” comp. Sometimes it seems like every new player is Aaron Craft!

Thank you Demo for the breakdown. 

I would say that sounds good except it sounds like he needs time with the coaches and the system to pick up some key fundamentals to be able to help on the court. At 6’8” and our projection of having very limited size we will need him to figure things out immediately 

also, Jeeze guys, let’s hope he is nothing like Jeremy Hollowell. 

50 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I didn't really understand what was happening when the ball was going in the basket from really far away in this video. Is that even legal???

The insanely impactful success of the pack line defense across all levels of basketball has forced non-IU teams everywhere to chuck the ball up from crazy distances.  Even though we've moved on from that defensive philosophy, it's not recommended when on offense that IU try to shoot from such distances.  That would require practicing and running plays designed to get open shots.  Rumor has it IU used to do that before the turn of the century, for what that's worth.

1 hour ago, bigrod said:

I didn't really understand what was happening when the ball was going in the basket from really far away in this video. Is that even legal???

You guys haven't seen anything!

I've got video of an athletic, muscular 7 footer starting at the 50 second mark of this video. Stepping out to the mid-range and from 20 feet, dunking from a ball-on-the-floor standstill with both hands. Impressive:

11 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Not sure I agree with the tweet, but thought I would share the vid.

Yeah that's crazy over the top stuff, but appreciate the clip.

It's just a clip, but I like the handle and pull up, do see the Hollowell comparisons, I can also see why some would compare him to a young Wat as he has a kind of slow-fluid look to the pull up, but he's stronger going to the rim, that was an area of weakness for Wat as a frosh-soph before he really turned it on and became a much, much better player around the basket as a junior

25 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

You guys haven't seen anything!

I've got video of an athletic, muscular 7 footer starting at the 50 second mark of this video. Stepping out to the mid-range and from 20 feet, dunking from a ball-on-the-floor standstill with both hands. Impressive:

Yeah, that 7-footer looks big ten ready and surely is twice as good as Durr.

44 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Yeah that's crazy over the top stuff, but appreciate the clip.

It's just a clip, but I like the handle and pull up, do see the Hollowell comparisons, I can also see why some would compare him to a young Wat as he has a kind of slow-fluid look to the pull up, but he's stronger going to the rim, that was an area of weakness for Wat as a frosh-soph before he really turned it on and became a much, much better player around the basket as a junior

Yeah, definitely a better athlete than Wat.Could definitely turn into a really good stretch 4 though.Looks like the kind of player this team is missing.

On 2/13/2022 at 8:41 AM, Demo said:

Banks’ issue is that among the recruits/commits he’s the least well-coached. Easily. Where it’s really glaring is with his defensive fundamentals, which are just bad. He struggles to maintain ball awareness and his execution of rudimentary ball/you/man stuff is not good. He’s also got enough inconsistency in his shot mechanics that he’s very streaky from range. And his effort comes and goes a little bit. BUT, he’s a really talented kid. Good athlete. Good frame. Can really run. He’s got some post fundamentals in place. He’s got a jump hook. He’s got a drop step. He can face up and create space. He can handle in the open court and take it end to end. He’s a pretty good passer off the dribble. He’s got really good hands and he’s a good rebounder on both ends. And he plays easily through contact. His issues are just developmental. He doesn’t have a trait or skill like Trayce’s jumper where you know it’s never gonna come. He’s gonna be a good player, possibly really good, but he’ll only play as early as his D will allow. 

So he may not be a day 1 contributor. Might see a lot of bench time until his D gets up to speed.