Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - PF Noah Clowney to Alabama

51 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Is Clowney good enough to replace TJD next season? I know he’s not the same player , but is he good enough inside to compete for a final 4? My guess is we need to go hard after another big or land a big time transfer to help out, even if Clowney commits. Our perimeter next season should be one of the best.

Probably not.  TJD is special and he's now a Junior.  Clowney is already a better shooter but I don't think the other stuff adds up to equal.  But Durr?, Duncomb? can be adequate and our scoring can come from non center positions, namely Bates, et al.  

13 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Probably not.  TJD is special and he's now a Junior.  Clowney is already a better shooter but I don't think the other stuff adds up to equal.  But Durr?, Duncomb? can be adequate and our scoring can come from non center positions, namely Bates, et al.  

Teams (Baylor) are winning national championships with exactly this model; a defensive-minded center who protects the rim but is not a focal point on offense.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Teams (Baylor) are winning national championships with exactly this model; a defensive-minded center who protects the rim but is not a focal point on offense.

If all goes well we’ll have the guards you need to run an offense like that. We couldn’t the past few years but maybe with Bates/JHS/Lander(?) we’ll be able to. 

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

"I know they said the bigs do a lot of their scoring, so I think it could be a good opportunity for me as far as scoring the ball." 

- Noah Clowney on Virginia Tech

I realize no one is saying Clowney wouldn't be a part of the offense, but one of the things which apparently stands out to him about Virginia Tech is being a focal point of the offense. 

However, that certainly doesn't imply it's the most important factor in his decision.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I have wanted a rim protector big for eternity.  I loved Zeller.  Incredible college player.  Not a menacing defender.  But he was tremendous.  I liked Thomas Bryant's hustle and he was really good, but he never reached basketball maturity at Indiana, especially on the defensive end.  Vonleh, rebounded like I want, everything else, meh.  TJD, I love him.  A pretty good defender but gives up quite a bit against the biggest of the bigs.  Either way, he's my #2 big in a long time.  Not going to be an easy transition either way but Taller/Longer guys could potentially be an upgrade on the defensive end.  

I have wanted a rim protector big for eternity.  I loved Zeller.  Incredible college player.  Not a menacing defender.  But he was tremendous.  I liked Thomas Bryant's hustle and he was really good, but he never reached basketball maturity at Indiana, especially on the defensive end.  Vonleh, rebounded like I want, everything else, meh.  TJD, I love him.  A pretty good defender but gives up quite a bit against the biggest of the bigs.  Either way, he's my #2 big in a long time.  Not going to be an easy transition either way but Taller/Longer guys could potentially be an upgrade on the defensive end.  

Let’s be honest here. The Big Ten “style” is geared more towards the plodding big than other conferences. In order to compete at both levels, we need multiple good bigs that can bang against Big Ten opponents and long athletic ones that can make an impact in the dance.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

37 minutes ago, Demo said:

Depends what you need from him. Trayce is about to turn 22 and weighs 245. When Clowney hits a campus he’s gonna be 17 and weigh 210. He won’t be physically ready to just walk in and be a dominant interior presence. But he has a much broad skillset and a higher ceiling than Trayce. Offensively, he can play the dunker spot. He can fade or roll out of high ball screen. He can make open 3’s. He has good footwork and fundamentals on the block. He can face up. He might even be able to get some work done from the wing. Plus, he can really run. And defensively, when he gets it figured out, he’s gonna be a complete Swiss Army knife. He’ll be able to play high ball screen any way you want to play it. He is so good laterally he’ll be able to stay frontal against pretty much anyone. He’ll be able to shrink angles with his length and movement. He’ll be a major presence in the lane. He has both really good timing and the patience to stay down as a shot blocker. Eventually, you’ll be able to put him in any lineup and he has ways to help. He’s not a 15/9 guy the day he shows up. But when he fills out and gets Woody’s schemes internalized he is gonna be really useful early and by year 2 he will be an absolute monster. I’d buy all the stock I can get in this one. 

I was re-watching some video on Woodson’s coaching today—one of the potential criticisms was that he is adamant about switching screens, all the way from 1-5.

JHS can switch screens.
Tamar Bates (once he gets less “light in the butt” ) can switch 1-5.   
Geronimo can guard 1-5.
Banks may be able to switch 1-5.  
X Johnson can switch 1-5 (that dude battles)

Clowney can guard 1-5 laterally at 6’10”?

Yes please.

Also in re: how he does or doesn’t replace TJD, right now it looks like next year’s team will depend less on inside players as primary scorers. So if, as Demo says, he can man the dunker spot, screen and react, and defend? Then he’s doing enough.

7 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Also in re: how he does or doesn’t replace TJD, right now it looks like next year’s team will depend less on inside players as primary scorers. So if, as Demo says, he can man the dunker spot, screen and react, and defend? Then he’s doing enough.

Saw TJD wasn’t even projected to get drafted by some mock draft rankings earlier today.  If so gotta think we see TJD stick around

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Saw TJD wasn’t even projected to get drafted by some mock draft rankings earlier today.  If so gotta think we see TJD stick around

There are more early entries than draft spots, guys play overseas or get contracts as undrafted rookies, and given they have to take summer classes to participate in summer workouts, most guys can finish undergrad in 3 years if they try…I wouldn’t bet on a fourth year, think @Chris007 said earlier this week it’s a non-starter

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm crankier than Stu because I haven't had my afternoon nap.  Noah wants his thread back and he's going to get it.  I'm moving several NIL posts from Noah's thread to the NIL thread but any new NIL posts in Noah's thread will get hidden.

I think Noah picks us. If we can't beat out Virginia Tech for a basketball recruit then I don't know what to say. But this is for Old Fart

Get Off My Lawn GIFs | Tenor