Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - PF Noah Clowney to Alabama

20 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Oh I know. It's been he's been Indiana bound for a while 

The Virginia Tech people have not gotten this message. Two different Hokie sites have insiders who appear somewhat confident they are going to get Clowney. 247 and TheKeyPlay. He's starting to add VT coaches to his social media (bottom of this thread).

https://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2021/august/2/hokie-hoops-august-september-recruiting 

This one is too close to call.  Anyone saying otherwise is just guessing.   From all info I have gathered from the various team sites and just my feel of this recruitment if I had to put a crystal ball pick in I would pick Virginia Tech.   This is just my opinion.    Every kid say distance isn’t going to factor in before the decision but whether it really matters is another thing.   Relationships drive recruiting and I feel the high school coaches relationship with Young will be a key  factor when they get into decision making mode 

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

This one is too close to call.  Anyone saying otherwise is just guessing.   From all info I have gathered from the various team sites and just my feel of this recruitment if I had to put a crystal ball pick in I would pick Virginia Tech.   This is just my opinion.    Every kid say distance isn’t going to factor in before the decision but whether it really matters is another thing.   Relationships drive recruiting and I feel the high school coaches relationship with Young will be a key  factor when they get into decision making mode 

I agree with all of this. My guess is the high school coach is likely the main influence and will probably send him to Virginia Tech. He would have never considered VT without that friendship between the two coaches. Let's hope those on this board who are picking IU are correct. We will see.

I haven't seen anything solid...yet.

If I had to speculate at this point?

• Florida: 6.5 hour drive from home - Out
  • Bama: 6 hour drive from home - 15%
  • IU: 8 hour drive from home - 40%
  • VT: 4 hour drive from home - 45%

Waiting for something more concrete to shake--it usually does.

4 hours ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

The Virginia Tech people have not gotten this message. Two different Hokie sites have insiders who appear somewhat confident they are going to get Clowney. 247 and TheKeyPlay. He's starting to add VT coaches to his social media (bottom of this thread).

https://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2021/august/2/hokie-hoops-august-september-recruiting 

There are people in his corner that are pushing VT. That could end up playing a factor. 

3 hours ago, ap2345 said:

There are people in his corner that are pushing VT. That could end up playing a factor. 

No one who is really "in your corner" would push a player to go to Virginia Tech basketball over Alabama or Florida. Obviously I would like to see Clowney at IU, but I'm taking the Hoosiers out of this for this conclusion. Does someone with a straight face tell you that Virginia Tech is better than Nate Oats at Alabama? No one who is really interested in a kids enjoyment of college basketball would ever do that. On a side note I appreciate AP and Billingsley who have passed along what they are hearing no matter what the outcome is here.  

21 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

No one who is really "in your corner" would push a player to go to Virginia Tech basketball over Alabama or Florida. Obviously I would like to see Clowney at IU, but I'm taking the Hoosiers out of this for this conclusion. Does someone with a straight face tell you that Virginia Tech is better than Nate Oats at Alabama? No one who is really interested in a kids enjoyment of college basketball would ever do that. On a side note I appreciate AP and Billingsley who have passed along what they are hearing no matter what the outcome is here.  

While I get your point, I kinda disagree.

VT has made the NCAA tourney four of the last five years, and Mike Young is a good coach. They went 15-7 and 9-4 in the ACC last year. Unlike UF or Bama, it is not nearly as much of a football-obsessed school. Not much history, not much NIL potential, and I think lesser facilities, but results as a program? They're pretty darn good.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

While I get your point, I kinda disagree.

VT has made the NCAA tourney four of the last five years, and Mike Young is a good coach. They went 15-7 and 9-4 in the ACC last year. Unlike UF or Bama, it is not nearly as much of a football-obsessed school. Not much history, not much NIL potential, and I think lesser facilities, but results as a program? They're pretty darn good.

Dell Curry says "Thank you"

8 hours ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

I agree with all of this. My guess is the high school coach is likely the main influence and will probably send him to Virginia Tech. He would have never considered VT without that friendship between the two coaches. Let's hope those on this board who are picking IU are correct. We will see.

When you have a prior relationship with the Virginia Tech coach you would. You’d be biased based off of your own opinion of wanting a player to go to a place you have connections too.

When it comes to making my college coach the AAU coach probably would not be ony list of people to listen to.  I would listen to my parents and maybe my high school coach and then make the decision that is best for me.  To me to many AAU coaches have alternative motives and ate looking at what is best for him and his career.

21 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I haven't seen anything solid...yet.

If I had to speculate at this point?

• Florida: 6.5 hour drive from home - Out
  • Bama: 6 hour drive from home - 15%
  • IU: 8 hour drive from home - 40%
  • VT: 4 hour drive from home - 45%

Waiting for something more concrete to shake--it usually does.

Hopefully distance isn’t a big factor as not only is VT closer but a number of conference road games (Duke, UNC, Clemson, Wake, Georgia Tech) are also easier for the family.