Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - PF Noah Clowney to Alabama

52 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Rabby said yesterday that Clowney will have his entire family with him on his visit to IU. Mom, Dad, brother, and sister will all be on the trip. That's a very good sign IMO.

I feel like his recruitment has felt very similar to banks thus far. Seemed like an early favorite for us but is feeling out other schools. Could just be me but ive been fairly confident about securing him like i was with Banks. 

40 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Feels like (more than one would usually expect) we could get a commitment during or soon after the trip.

If he takes his other visits the mood will deflate considerably.

My concern with this kid all along has been his reaction to the IU fishbowl when he sees it up close. He’s a just turned 17 yr old kid who’s been completely under the radar from day 1. He played for a minor AAU program. He plays for a successful HS program, but from what I can tell that means next to nothing in SC. He lives in a, charitably, suburban area. He strikes me as a touch…..unsophisticated. When he shows up on a campus of 35k with random kids shouting his name and he sees the full glare of being an IU player, either, a) he’s gonna have the Jordan Geronimo reaction and think, “THIS is nuts!”  or, b) he’s gonna have the Larry Bird reaction and think, “This is NUTS.”

I imagine his reaction will be immediately apparent.

8 minutes ago, Demo said:

My concern with this kid all along has been his reaction to the IU fishbowl when he sees it up close. He’s a just turned 17 yr old kid who’s been completely under the radar from day 1. He played for a minor AAU program. He plays for a successful HS program, but from what I can tell that means next to nothing in SC. He lives in a, charitably, suburban area. He strikes me as a touch…..unsophisticated. When he shows up on a campus of 35k with random kids shouting his name and he sees the full glare of being an IU player, either, a) he’s gonna have the Jordan Geronimo reaction and think, “THIS is nuts!”  or, b) he’s gonna have the Larry Bird reaction and think, “This is NUTS.”

So true—Anthony Leal/Yogi Ferrell he ain’t!

31 minutes ago, Demo said:

Noah Clowney is from Roebuck, SC, population 2,851. It's five miles from Spartanburg (the big city), population 37,000. 100 miles from Charlotte.

Downtown Roebuck:

Roebuck SC Real Estate Market Report

Coach Woodson definitely is at his strongest as a father figure. The pre-existing Coach Ya connection + Coach Woodson + 'Bloomington isn't all that overwhelming' should be good for us.

And the opportunity to experience a Bloomington, IN culture might be the fulfillment of a dream.  Get Cook Medical to sign him up under NIL and move the whole family.   Jordan Geronimo might be a huge plus in talking about why he moved so far from home and why he decided to stay after the coaching change and entering the portal. 

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Noah Clowney is from Roebuck, SC, population 2,851. It's five miles from Spartanburg (the big city), population 37,000. 100 miles from Charlotte.

Downtown Roebuck:

Coach Woodson definitely is at his strongest as a father figure. The pre-existing Coach Ya connection + Coach Woodson + 'Bloomington isn't all that overwhelming' should be good for us.

I imagine you’re right about that. And you have to assume that Rosemond is comfortable that the kid is temperamentally suited to this emvironment.

5 minutes ago, Demo said:

I imagine you’re right about that. And you have to assume that Rosemond is comfortable that the kid is temperamentally suited to this emvironment.

Roebuck, SC makes French Lick look like a booming metropolis.  I suspect, however, that if RMK had a Woodson personality Bloomington would have seemed far more welcoming to Larry Bird.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Roebuck, SC makes French Lick look like a booming metropolis.  I suspect, however, that if RMK had a Woodson personality Bloomington would have seemed far more welcoming to Larry Bird.

Hopefully there's no Benson on this team and if there is hopefully Woodson keeps him him the hell away from Clowney. 

Roebuck is obviously tiny but it’s not a remote country town. It’s just a few miles out of Spartenburg and the Greenville/Spartanburg metro is around 320,000 with big BMW, Michelin, among others, facilities. Greenville has a fair amount of restaurants etc downtown. I don’t think he will be overwhelmed like Bird but who knows until the visit.

9 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Downtown Roebuck:

Well if I knew he was from Spartanburg I would have looked him up.  I stopped there for the night on Saturday on my way to Hilton Head LOL!

8 hours ago, Woodson1980 said:

The fact that he can slide into an All American's spot with the possibility of becoming one himself along with playing on a strong team should do it. He's the last piece to the puzzle if we do indeed get JHS.

I think we get him.

There is a lot of optimism in this post:) I would love to see TJD be an All-American but he may not even be the best 5 in the bigten with who is returning and we also have a 6’10” top 70 ranked 5 that will be a sophomore when he arrives. 

51 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

There is a lot of optimism in this post:) I would love to see TJD be an All-American but he may not even be the best 5 in the bigten with who is returning and we also have a 6’10” top 70 ranked 5 that will be a sophomore when he arrives. 

Maybe not All American but he is one of the best bigs in the country and our featured player.

While I'm excited to see Duncomb and think he's going to be a solid player this kid brings a totally different skill set as a rim protector and we need that badly.

13 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Just my opinion but I would guess that he takes all his visits even if he was blown away by the IU visit.   Virginia Tech insiders are pretty confident they are in good shape 

https://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2021/august/16/wartooths-big-board-noah-clowney

toward the end of this page has the confident fans. They seem to think were their best competition as well

Roebuck is obviously tiny but it’s not a remote country town. It’s just a few miles out of Spartenburg and the Greenville/Spartanburg metro is around 320,000 with big BMW, Michelin, among others, facilities. Greenville has a fair amount of restaurants etc downtown. I don’t think he will be overwhelmed like Bird but who knows until the visit.

We were down in Tigerville SC checking out a school and definitely thought that town was small. Just 30 minutes away from Greenville which is a very nice and rapidly growing area. I suspect they have seen and experienced Greenville and that is bigger than Bloomington

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Is Clowney good enough to replace TJD next season? I know he’s not the same player , but is he good enough inside to compete for a final 4? My guess is we need to go hard after another big or land a big time transfer to help out, even if Clowney commits. Our perimeter next season should be one of the best.

6 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Is Clowney good enough to replace TJD next season? I know he’s not the same player , but is he good enough inside to compete for a final 4? My guess is we need to go hard after another big or land a big time transfer to help out, even if Clowney commits. Our perimeter next season should be one of the best.

How about we just pay TJD to stay