Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - PF Noah Clowney to Alabama

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Interesting.  I think it might be worth mentioning that I think the Big Ten does employ less of a strategy to recruit potential one and dones than other conferences, which I think isn't a new thing.  I can't find it for every year, but from 2011-2015 the number of one and dones by conference:

Big Ten (2):  Only Noah Vonleh and D'Angelo Russell

SEC (14):  12 were Kentucky players

Big 12 (9):  4 were Kansas, 4 were Texas

ACC (9):  6 were Duke

PAC 12 (6

I think your example actually reinforces that top talent isn’t choosing to go to the BT. In most cases the Big Ten has less “one and dones” because those players have been turning down the BT, not because they were not pursued by the Big Ten. The number one player in the 2021 class had 8 BT offers. Nearly every top 35 player in the 2022 class has Big Ten offers with many having 3/4/6 BT offers.
2022 Number 8 Filipowski, who was recruited by IU, had 8 Big Ten offers but committed  to Duke. 
Number 2 Lively had three BT offers but also committed  to Duke. 
Number 5 Whitehead had 2 BT offers but chose Duke.
Do those 3 players, as an example, indicate that the BT doesn’t try to recruit those type of players or that Duke successfully lands those players? I would say the latter.

Bates, Hood-Schifino and Newton are why I'm excited for the Woodson era. We need those guys ranked 20-80, high end recruits that will stick around for more than a year. Trayce was that dude. Romeo was not, gone after one season. Khristian might have been and could still be, but was brought to campus too soon in an effort to save Archie's job. We relied too much on fringe four stars the last four years. I couldn't be happier to see Woodson upping that to fringe five stars.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:54 PM, DChoosier said:

I think your example actually reinforces that top talent isn’t choosing to go to the BT. In most cases the Big Ten has less “one and dones” because those players have been turning down the BT, not because they were not pursued by the Big Ten. The number one player in the 2021 class had 8 BT offers. Nearly every top 35 player in the 2022 class has Big Ten offers with many having 3/4/6 BT offers.
2022 Number 8 Filipowski, who was recruited by IU, had 8 Big Ten offers but committed  to Duke. 
Number 2 Lively had three BT offers but also committed  to Duke. 
Number 5 Whitehead had 2 BT offers but chose Duke.
Do those 3 players, as an example, indicate that the BT doesn’t try to recruit those type of players or that Duke successfully lands those players? I would say the latter.

Having an offer doesn't necessarily mean that they are spending the same resources, time, etc. on them.  He had offers from Creighton and Providence as well but I'm sure it was nothing more than a flyer they put out there.  What I am saying is that the one and dones overall haven't really produced greater results -- overall we are still seeing the same general success.

For the most part, it's still a set number of teams that are getting the bulk of those top players over and over....Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc.  Other teams get them occasionally, but unless they go the LSU or Arizona route of....you know....the strategy isn't to rely on many one and dones.  

There is one Big Ten team IMO that does have the national recognition at this point to consistenly get one and dones if they wanted to -- and that's Michigan State.  But that really hasn't been the type of players that have been in the Michigan State program under Izzo from the beginning.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:23 AM, IU Scott said:

I remember Rabjohn saying he talked to recruits who said they didn't want to play the big ten style of play.

The bottom line is the Big Ten could control it if they ever get their head out of their @$$ and started to make sure their games were officiated to actually let fouls be fouls and stop the BS underneath.

4 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Having an offer doesn't necessarily mean that they are spending the same resources, time, etc. on them.  He had offers from Creighton and Providence as well but I'm sure it was nothing more than a flyer they put out there.  What I am saying is that the one and dones overall haven't really produced greater results -- overall we are still seeing the same general success.

For the most part, it's still a set number of teams that are getting the bulk of those top players over and over....Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc.  Other teams get them occasionally, but unless they go the LSU or Arizona route of....you know....the strategy isn't to rely on many one and dones.  

There is one Big Ten team IMO that does have the national recognition at this point to consistenly get one and dones if they wanted to -- and that's Michigan State.  But that really hasn't been the type of players that have been in the Michigan State program under Izzo from the beginning.

If Providence, Creighton, or any other team thought they had a legitimate shot to get a top 10, probable one and done player, they would be all over that recruit. I agree with your point that UM has the best chance in the Big Ten to get a one and done but one of your initial premises, that I was replying to, was that many schools have an INTENTIONAL strategy to not go after one and dones. My point is that it is not an intentional strategy but rather a realization that they can’t land those players and that most of the top recruits are not flocking to the Big Ten.

5 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

The bottom line is the Big Ten could control it if they ever get their head out of their @$$ and started to make sure their games were officiated to actually let fouls be fouls and stop the BS underneath.

100% agree. It’s egregious/ridiculous/inexcusable that schools can negatively recruit, due to the style of play/refs, against the Big Ten.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

What recruit are we going to build up, have some inside info that IU is basically a lock, and then be shocked they’re going somewhere else next?

Asking for a friend

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The next highly ranked recruit that announces 

10 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

What recruit are we going to build up, have some inside info that IU is basically a lock, and then be shocked they’re going somewhere else next?

Asking for a friend

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Clowney himself heavily insinuated it was IU going into the Bama visit. Sometimes things do actually change.

Very curious how much selling TJDs spot is worth in the Transfer market.  Should be able to hit a homerun or at least a triple.  

Next Year’s team IMO will have a gigantic hole to fill at the 4/5. 

Hoping Durr and Duncomb can alleviate those concerns but I’m realistic.  I feel great about our guards going forward and even our wings.  Shooters and Bigs are always the way to win and we may be lacking in both.   Roster construction.  

PS- tons of time. And a transfer may end up a better and more immediate fit over Clowney anyway, so I have that hope. 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

Clowney himself heavily insinuated it was IU going into the Bama visit. Sometimes things do actually change.

Some were convinced Bama was out when the kid got sick and couldn’t make the OV. We tend to where our crimson colored glasses 24/7 and those “insiders” won’t hesitate to play to that.

I’m not telling anyone what to think or how to act. There has been a pattern of leading before just coming up short. There’s a reason for that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Some were convinced Bama was out when the kid got sick and couldn’t make the OV. We tend to where our crimson colored glasses 24/7 and those “insiders” won’t hesitate to play to that.

I’m not telling anyone what to think or how to act. There has been a pattern of leading before just coming up short. There’s a reason for that.

'“Initially going into the (Alabama visit), honestly, I had the least amount of thought that I would go to Bama,” Clowney said. “I didn’t think I was going to Bama, going into the visit. So I get there and they showed me a lot that I didn’t see before.'

From the horse's mouth. There's a pattern because recruiting often goes like this - it's all the whims of 17 year old kids. I definitely buy the narrative that he was thinking IU post Bloomington visit; I don't think that was some "insider" conspiracy. 

'“Initially going into the (Alabama visit), honestly, I had the least amount of thought that I would go to Bama,” Clowney said. “I didn’t think I was going to Bama, going into the visit. So I get there and they showed me a lot that I didn’t see before.'

From the horse's mouth. There's a pattern because recruiting often goes like this - it's all the whims of 17 year old kids. I definitely buy the narrative that he was thinking IU post Bloomington visit; I don't think that was some "insider" conspiracy. 

And we still don’t get it. I never mentioned conspiracy. The “insiders” know where their bread is buttered and run with momentum. There was a reason he took the visit to Bama.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

And we still don’t get it. I never mentioned conspiracy. The “insiders” know where their bread is buttered and run with momentum. There was a reason he took the visit to Bama.

No we don't get it. How can ANYONE other than Noah Clowney know where he is going before he actually commits? I don't care how much of an "insider" you are you cannot possible know what he is going to do until he comes out and says it.

Yes it is great to read on here what people are hearing and all that, but I mean it is just reality that nobody can know that type of information until it is officially stated by the recruit. But we will continue to do this over and over and some people will say X or Y is a lock to IU before X or Y says they are committing to IU. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Yeah, maybe I'm just dumb and don't get it. Are you saying Clowney is lying with his above quote and that the lean was actually Alabama going into their visit? 

26 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Yeah, maybe I'm just dumb and don't get it. Are you saying Clowney is lying with his above quote and that the lean was actually Alabama going into their visit? 

I wouldn’t call it lying but from my experience it’s always good to take what recruits say after the fact with a grain of salt.   You might be absolutely right and he was leaning IU or a Tech before that visit and that visit sealed the deal.   But if those 2 schools were far out ahead of Bama then you could argue that when he cancelled the first visit he would of just picked between the 2.   He must of liked Bama enough to reschedule that visit.  Reminds me of recruits saying during the process they want to go to a place where basketball is superior or where they wins games and then pick places that have no history or where basketball is not that big of deal.     

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I wouldn’t call it lying but from my experience it’s always good to take what recruits say after the fact with a grain of salt.   You might be absolutely right and he was leaning IU or a Tech before that visit and that visit sealed the deal.   But if those 2 schools were far out ahead of Bama then you could argue that when he cancelled the first visit he would of just picked between the 2.   He must of liked Bama enough to reschedule that visit.  Reminds me of recruits saying during the process they want to go to a place where basketball is superior or where they wins games and then pick places that have no history or where basketball is not that big of deal.     

In this case, the grain of salt from the player himself aligns pretty much exactly with what had been reported in the last month. So maybe everyone is wrong. Just don't get why people are making a federal case out of this when there's really been no conflicting timelines presented. 

At the time the first Bama visit was scheduled they were confident that they were getting Walker and he was their top target. By the tie the second scheduled visit took place they realized they weren't getting Walker so by the time he visited and went all in on Clowney and blew him away. The staff and players thought they were getting Clowney and it didn't happen. With out of state guys most "inside info" comes from the IU side and not the recruit side. In state guys it can sometimes come from both. Anyone that gets frustrated by fans getting excited when "inside info" is shared they probably should avoid message boards. Recruiting is always fluid and can change from hour to hour or day to day regardless of what info is out there.