Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

1 hour ago, DLG3 said:

Wow. Confirmation of what Chris and others were saying all along. No shame in shooting that kind of a shot and the guy not being interested. I have a great feeling about the direction we went instead.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Actually, saying that Stevens had no interest is the opposite of what Chris said.

I like the direction we went.  It saved a lot of money for assistants and associate AD's.

2 hours ago, DLG3 said:

Wow. Confirmation of what Chris and others were saying all along. No shame in shooting that kind of a shot and the guy not being interested. I have a great feeling about the direction we went instead.

Yeah completely opposite actually. It was said it was a “done deal” on here and according to Woj he never considered. 

Actually, saying that Stevens had no interest is the opposite of what Chris said.
I like the direction we went.  It saved a lot of money for assistants and associate AD's.

Yeah, sorry. I was more just referring to the offer itself. I guess I also don’t think even Woj would hear, “Well, he had a lot of interest, but couldn’t get out of his current contract.” That would be really toxic for him.

5 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

Yeah, sorry. I was more just referring to the offer itself. I guess I also don’t think even Woj would hear, “Well, he had a lot of interest, but couldn’t get out of his current contract.” That would be really toxic for him.

Well, you certainly wouldn't phrase it like that.  He could say "he considered it but turned it down".  No interest is pretty definitive. 

22 minutes ago, Josh said:

Well, you certainly wouldn't phrase it like that.  He could say "he considered it but turned it down".  No interest is pretty definitive. 

Yeah, it is PR.  Someone drops that kind of money in front of you, you are going to think about it.  I do not care how much you like your current situation.  Stevens thought about it and said no.

I am kind of glad he did.  I think he had zero chance of meeting the expectations he would have to meet for that kind of money.  He would have had to do what Calipari did his first 3 years on a regular basis and any slip of that for any extended amount of time would lead to grumbling.  And to be honest, I do not think Stevens would be willing to do the stuff Calipari had to do early on for those results.

So RIP idea of Brad Stevens being the coach at Indiana.  If I were Indiana he would never be on my coaching list again.  However, I think he did us a favor because I think overall, we potentially have just as good if not a better total staff then we probably would have had if he had accepted...and we are getting the entire staff for about half of what we offered just him.

22 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, it is PR.  Someone drops that kind of money in front of you, you are going to think about it.  I do not care how much you like your current situation.  Stevens thought about it and said no.

I am kind of glad he did.  I think he had zero chance of meeting the expectations he would have to meet for that kind of money.  He would have had to do what Calipari did his first 3 years on a regular basis and any slip of that for any extended amount of time would lead to grumbling.  And to be honest, I do not think Stevens would be willing to do the stuff Calipari had to do early on for those results.

So RIP idea of Brad Stevens being the coach at Indiana.  If I were Indiana he would never be on my coaching list again.  However, I think he did us a favor because I think overall, we potentially have just as good if not a better total staff then we probably would have had if he had accepted...and we are getting the entire staff for about half of what we offered just him.

Only on this message board could the best source in all of basketball say “Brad Stevens was offered 7 years 70 million and did not entertain the offer” and people still say “yep, Chris was right, he almost came to IU.”

Chris and whoever else probably heard - accurately - that IU was going to make an absurd offer. That never meant he was interested (and he clearly never was - if you have ANY desire for the job, you’ll clearly take it if you can get a 100% pay raise for at least 7 years).

Edited by Nonymouse

Call me crazy but idk if Brad is worth $10 million a year.. That makes a guy who hasn’t coached college basketball in almost a decade the highest paid coach in college basketball. And it’s not like the equivalent of, say, Alabama offering Bill Belicheck an absurd amount of money to come to college. Brad has been a very good NBA coach, but not sure I’d go as far as saying he’s an elite coach. Depends how you look at it. He did overachieve with a couple of Boston teams, but he’s underachieving with this one. He hasn’t made it to the Finals. Not entirely his fault because he doesn’t put together the roster. 

He has NBA experience, but so does Woody. Woody was an NBA head coach for longer than Brad has been. Brad has had more success but he’s been in a better position. Would Brad be able to go into kids’ living rooms and relate to them and their parents as well as Woody seemingly has? We have video after video of former players talking about how much they love Woody, but it doesn’t seem like Brad has that type of relationship with his players. 

Bottom line, $10 million a year is insane. That kind of money comes with deep tournament runs more often than not expectations. What happens if he came in and underachieved? $10 million/yr would be hard as hell to buyout. I’m happy with Woody and the staff he put together. As long as we can recruit at a high level we will be good. And most importantly, he actually wants to be here more than at any other job in the country. 

Call me crazy but idk if Brad is worth $10 million a year.. That makes a guy who hasn’t coached college basketball in almost a decade the highest paid coach in college basketball. And it’s not like the equivalent of, say, Alabama offering Bill Belicheck an absurd amount of money to come to college. Brad has been a very good NBA coach, but not sure I’d go as far as saying he’s an elite coach. Depends how you look at it. He did overachieve with a couple of Boston teams, but he’s underachieving with this one. He hasn’t made it to the Finals. Not entirely his fault because he doesn’t put together the roster. 

He has NBA experience, but so does Woody. Woody was an NBA head coach for longer than Brad has been. Brad has had more success but he’s been in a better position. Would Brad be able to go into kids’ living rooms and relate to them and their parents as well as Woody seemingly has? We have video after video of former players talking about how much they love Woody, but it doesn’t seem like Brad has that type of relationship with his players. 

Bottom line, $10 million a year is insane. That kind of money comes with deep tournament runs more often than not expectations. What happens if he came in and underachieved? $10 million/yr would be hard as hell to buyout. I’m happy with Woody and the staff he put together. As long as we can recruit at a high level we will be good. And most importantly, he actually wants to be here more than at any other job in the country. 
As I said earlier, NO coach is worth it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I would say, if Steven’s was here for 21 years, we paid him $210mm and he won 3 championships and had us ranked in the top 25 each and every year, I would say it was well worth it. That would reestablish IU as one of the best programs in all of college baskebtall and promise us another 3 generations of passionate followers. That 21 years would carry over a huge halo effect on the fanbase for decades to follow much like Knight. I wouldn’t be an IU fan 21 years later if there was never a Bobby Knight

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

There are some coaches who are worth it. Prime Bob Knight, for example, would be worth $10 million a year (in today's dollars). From 1971 to 1993, he won 3 championships, went to 5 final fours, and went to 8 elite eights. He won 11 conference titles during those 22 seasons. You pay a guy who can deliver those results whatever he wants. But, there aren't very many Bob Knight's out there. 

On 4/16/2021 at 5:18 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

So how much contact can Matta have with players? Because he’s been at the workouts we’ve been having. 

He can talk to them. He can’t participate with on court instruction or recruiting. So basically he’s being paid to watch our practices and games. He’ll give insight on games and recruiting I’m sure. 

There are some coaches who are worth it. Prime Bob Knight, for example, would be worth $10 million a year (in today's dollars). From 1971 to 1993, he won 3 championships, went to 5 final fours, and went to 8 elite eights. He won 11 conference titles during those 22 seasons. You pay a guy who can deliver those results whatever he wants. But, there aren't very many Bob Knight's out there. 
No. He still isn't. No coach is worth that money.