Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Kinda silly to assess a final grade when we haven’t played a game yet if you ask me.

Brad Stevens with Matta as an assistant would be an F if we didn’t win and weren’t a clean program with good kids. Same with this staff.

If we win and have high character players it’s an A+. And we have no idea if that will happen yet.

Well I wouldn't say it's a final grade, we'll know their final grade if they are fired in four years like Archie and company.

But based on what I've seen --- the experience Woodson is bringing in and the name recognition seems pretty solid to me. B+ for their pre-season / pre-program attendance. Time will tell if they are above average students or if they're attending summer school in grade 12. 

Certainly premature to put a grade on things at this point. But I will say this: If you had asked me where I’d want recruiting ties from the staff, I would have said in-state, the DMV and the Atlanta area. So I don’t think CMW could have possibly done better on that one.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

I’d want recruiting ties from the staff, I would have said in-state, the DMV and the Atlanta area.

You want to recruit the Department of Motor Vehicles? OK, I hear they are good at driving the lanes and passing.

I'm  in no way complaining about having Woody in charge and the staff he's put together.  Just a gentle reminder to go back and read the comments about the initial staff Archie put together and that didn't end up working out so well.   

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You are correct. I for one thought it was going to be the best staff at IU ever with Olstrom, Bruiser, and Schilling. I will be the first to admit I was wrong on all accounts. Also wrong in thinking that Archie was a home run hire and Tom Allen was a terrible hire. So I should probably just keep my mouth shut on what I think is good or bad in coaching. 

Right there with you, although I felt all along that we needed to give Allen some time.

5 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I’d give the coaching staff an A for now and I tend to lean glass half empty.

I have high expectations for this group.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Every choice seems to fill a need. CMW appears to take advice from others and recognize areas where he needs help. I love that Fife is on the staff and the edge that he brings. Everyone there knows what winning basketball looks like. I truly believe if this doesn't succeed, we have way bigger problems. I'm usually naively optimistic at the beginning of a season, but this feels different.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm  in no way complaining about having Woody in charge and the staff he's put together.  Just a gentle reminder to go back and read the comments about the initial staff Archie put together and that didn't end up working out so well.   

At this point, I'm not sure the staff was the problem. I loved the Miller hire. I thought he would be successful and be here at least for the rest of my life. I was wrong. He was too rigid and stubborn to adapt to his personnel and put them in a position to succeed. Instead, he forced a system that our players couldn't make work. The staff was probably fine, just not the head coach. CMW seems different.