Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

21 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

No. He still isn't. No coach is worth that money.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It’s not my money so what do I care if a coach gets paid $10 million. College athletics is a billion dollar industry. If a coach wins enough he’s worth every bit of $10 million a year. There will be a college coach paid north of that within the next five years. Several college football coaches are already very close to it.

It’s not my money so what do I care if a coach gets paid $10 million. College athletics is a billion dollar industry. If a coach wins enough he’s worth every bit of $10 million a year. There will be a college coach paid north of that within the next five years. Several college football coaches are already very close to it.
Sure there will. Doesn't mean they should

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Nonymouse said:

Only on this message board could the best source in all of basketball say “Brad Stevens was offered 7 years 70 million and did not entertain the offer” and people still say “yep, Chris was right, he almost came to IU.”

Chris and whoever else probably heard - accurately - that IU was going to make an absurd offer. That never meant he was interested (and he clearly never was - if you have ANY desire for the job, you’ll clearly take it if you can get a 100% pay raise for at least 7 years).

No where did I say he almost came to Indiana.  No where.  So stop trying to put words in my mouth.  I said I think he probably thought about it and said no.  Why do I think that?  Well first, because he was being offered an insanely large amount of money.  And second, from the way the rumors were floating when it started, he did not just up and say no off the bat.  If he did not consider it at all, it would not have floated around for days that he was the number one target.  It would have been a no in one phone call.  "Hey Brad, I got $70 million sitting here for you if you are interested in Indiana."  "No, thanks Scott.  Happy where I am."  Boom, convo over.  I did not entertain the offer is "hey boss and fans, see how committed I am to you....look how much they offered me and I stayed."  

There is no such thing as "almost came", there is he chose to coach Indiana or he did not.  He did not.  I think you are nuts if you seriously believe they dropped that kind of cash on the table and he just flat out rejected it in the first call.  I agree with you, he ultimately did not want to come or else he would be here for that kind of money. 

Funny how you appear to disappear for several weeks and then suddenly pop back up to once again be the Brad Brigade.  

I'm not sure what to think about the talk of that $10M a year offer to the Masshole. If that's true, part of me is glad that we weren't afraid to spend on getting the guy we really wanted -- though I'm not sure even Stevens is worth $10M a year. 

Part of me is disappointed, because pretty much every time I see something about that report or hear about it on sports radio, it comes with these addendums: 

• Indiana thinks it's elite and it's not. 
  • Not even $10 million a year could get Stevens to coach Indiana. 
  • Indiana settled for someone other than their top choice. 
  • And on and on with the little attacks on our program. 

Man, I'm hoping more than ever that Woody & Co. can kick it into gear and get us back into the top half of the B1G and into the NCAAs each year. I guess you could say I'm skeptical, but hopeful ... 

I'm not sure what to think about the talk of that $10M a year offer to the Masshole. If that's true, part of me is glad that we weren't afraid to spend on getting the guy we really wanted -- though I'm not sure even Stevens is worth $10M a year. 
Part of me is disappointed, because pretty much every time I see something about that report or hear about it on sports radio, it comes with these addendums: 
Man, I'm hoping more than ever that Woody & Co. can kick it into gear and get us back into the top half of the B1G and into the NCAAs each year. I guess you could say I'm skeptical, but hopeful ... 

I think there are reasons Stevens didn’t accept $10mil/year that go far beyond is desire to stay in the NBA.

The best thing IU could do is to start winning at a consistently high level for many years to prove our administration isn’t as terrible as what some think. It shouldn’t be as difficult to win at an elite level as IU has made it over the past few decades.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

My take on this has always been that you know how relevant you are by how much hate you get. I think this is especially true in sports. We may not have had the success of an elite program recently but a LOT of people still LOVE to hate us. If we weren’t an elite program, no one would care. I love the hate. Now we just have to prove them wrong. 

9 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm expecting a lot more out of CMW and his staff. We have been down so long that we no longer have expectations. This staff is a new thing in college basketball. We are the innovators now. CMW is bringing a new way to play the college game just like coach Knight did so many years ago. Hopefully, we will see the same results.

Just now, Evariste Galois said:

Is this really happening? I really hope not...

They said on the UC message board that the players there had been told that he's joining the staff. That was a couple of days ago and as we know assistant coach hires can take a few days to become official. 

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

They said on the UC message board that the players there had been told that he's joining the staff. That was a couple of days ago and as we know assistant coach hires can take a few days to become official. 

Thanks, I definitely wish him well!

He helped carry us through the transition time and it turned out well for us. He is definitely a hero in my book.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

1) This right here is EXACTLY why Mike Woodson was an excellent choice...for recruiting.

2) This was after only six months of Woody being their assistant coach.

3) This kinda reminds me of the connection that Tom Allen has with his players, which is incredibly high praise.

The two big-time revenue sports at IU with Mike Woodson and Tom Allen leading them.

Heaven

I had the same feeling about the Woodson-Allen similarities. Definitely very different outward personalities (high energy Allen vs laid back Woodson), but both their coaching styles seem to emphasize personally connecting with players above all else