Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It really is painful for me to admit that I agree with Trish but I'm in the wait and see as well.  What they've done previously at a different school under a different coach and with different teammates is one thing but as the saying goes "past performance is not indicative of future results"   I don't think either will be a true bust, but I'm not ready to accept they'll be the huge difference makers that many on here seem to believe they'll be until I've seen them play wearing IU uniforms.

Sure it's a possibility. TJD might be worse in Woodson's system too. It's all maybes and what ifs at this point. 

17 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It really is painful for me to admit that I agree with Trish but I'm in the wait and see as well.  What they've done previously at a different school under a different coach and with different teammates is one thing but as the saying goes "past performance is not indicative of future results"   I don't think either will be a true bust, but I'm not ready to accept they'll be the huge difference makers that many on here seem to believe they'll be until I've seen them play wearing IU uniforms.

Let the hate begin!  You're either all in or not a true fan!  I'm in the same camp, it's easy to label individuals with what you want them to be but difficult to critically think about how they fit.  I hope this is all nonsense and we absolutely rock it under coach Woodson!

59 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Transfers haven't worked out with us since Max and Nick. Josh and Evan were busts. 

I'm fully in on the wait and see train. I'm a little more excited for the season to start but we still are returning a bunch of players who couldn't make wide open 3's in a B1G game. That's a concern. Woody and staff's player development will be on full display next season after having a full off-season program currently ongoing. 

14 minutes ago, Trish said:

Transfers haven't worked out with us since Max and Nick. Josh and Evan were busts. 

I'm fully in on the wait and see train. I'm a little more excited for the season to start but we still are returning a bunch of players who couldn't make wide open 3's in a B1G game. That's a concern. Woody and staff's player development will be on full display next season after having a full off-season program currently ongoing. 

I’m very enthused but agree with the wait and see comments.

In regards to the transfers I think they are solid. You mention Josh and Evan as busts but we pretty much got exactly what we recruited and should have expected. Josh came from a major conference and his senior year IU stats were virtually identical to his Sophomore stats at Pitt (scoring average 7 vs 6, and an identical 38% from the field and 30% from 3 both years). Evan was nearly 7 foot and only scored 5 points a game at St Mary’s as a junior. Did we think he would turn into a 12-15 point guy in the much tougher BT? In retrospect he not surprisingly had trouble with more athletic, physical competition.

The 2 guys coming in have proved themselves in major conferences so, although they are not a “sure thing”’ I think the odds are much greater that they succeed.

Agree that a lot is hanging on us being more of a perimeter threat (open 3’s) this year.

54 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

If Rosemond and Fife are still a part of the IU staff when those kids are in high school, then this was all a success

That or we've become the Pacers of college basketball, settling for mediocre results LOL! 

That or we've become the Pacers of college basketball, settling for mediocre results LOL! 

It will be hard for the Pacers to ever truly be on top for an extended stay. NBA is set up to reward large market teams. Better players generally go to larger market teams. The small market teams that succeed, do it through the draft despite the inherent added difficulties.

That’s what’s nice about IU. We are a “larger market” team we just haven’t realized/maximized our leverage as a “blue blood”.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

It will be hard for the Pacers to ever truly be on top for an extended stay. NBA is set up to reward large market teams. Better players generally go to larger market teams. The small market teams that succeed, do it through the draft despite the inherent added difficulties.

That’s what’s nice about IU. We are a “larger market” team we just haven’t realized/maximized our leverage as a “blue blood”.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app
So the collegiate New York Knicks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Sure it's a possibility. TJD might be worse in Woodson's system too. It's all maybes and what ifs at this point. 

I could see TJD scoring less but being a better player overall. Add an outside shot, use of the right hand and with willing shooters on the perimeter he may elect to pass out more than he did this year. 

14 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

So how much contact can Matta have with players? Because he’s been at the workouts we’ve been having. 

Someone here probably knows, but I believe

1. workout hours for current players have limits, but he can be there, and

2. no off-campus recruiting.

Found this:

GENERAL RULE

Non-coaching staff members with sport-specific responsibilities (e.g., administrative assistants, directors of operations, quality control personnel, directors of player development, video coordinators, assistant/associate athletics directors for specific sports), do not have to be included in the institution’s coaching limitations, provided they are not identified as coaches and do not engage in any coaching activities, on-court or on-field activities (e.g., shagging balls, assisting with drills, throwing batting practice, signaling in plays at the direction of a coaching staff member), off-campus recruiting activities or scouting of opponents.