Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

31 minutes ago, Papacap said:

Agree 100%. Not to derail things, but I live near Atlanta and some of us would go see AJ play in HS especially when he was being recruited and after he committed. We got to know his mom and let me say, AJ is a momma’s boy and he should be.

Anyway, a bit after the Duke game in 2002, I spoke with her and she was so nervous that she couldn’t watch the game. She taped it. And then her phone blew up as soon as the game was over so she knew IU won. I’m still amazed she didn’t watch it. That would have made me even more nervous.

Would love to see AJ. back at IU.

Great story

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Osterman - Indy Star:  Staff of new IU basketball coach Mike Woodson getting raises

Mike Woodson’s first staff at IU will include notable salary bumps at each position already settled.

That’s according to documents obtained via a records request by IndyStar, contracts which show increased investment from Indiana not just in assistants’ salaries, but in administrative staff as well.

Thad Matta, the former Ohio State coach who will serve as IU’s associate athletic director for men’s basketball administration, will earn a base salary of $400,000, with a built-in $25,000 raise annually starting next year. Matta would also be eligible for performance-related bonuses in the event of team-wide success.

All that is according to the terms of a memorandum of understanding signed between Matta and IU.

At least in theory, Matta fills the role Bill Comar did for Archie Miller. Comar’s most recent reported base salary was slightly more than $205,000. Matta’s contract also guarantees remarkable job security — it runs through March 31, 2027, and includes a buyout equal to one year’s salary in the event Indiana terminates Matta without cause.

There are some differences, not least among them title. Comar was last listed as Indiana’s assistant athletic director for basketball administration. In IU’s staffing hierarchy, associate AD is a more senior position than assistant AD. And Matta’s own experience — he spent 13 seasons as head coach at Ohio State, winning a combined nine Big Ten titles and advancing to multiple Final Fours — commands a higher salary.

Nevertheless, the Hoosiers’ increased investment in the position suggests Athletic Director Scott Dolson sees greater value in it.

Woodson’s two confirmed assistant coaches are also receiving higher salaries higher than the positions under Miller.

According to the terms of a memorandum of understanding outlining his contract, assistant coach Dane Fife will earn a base salary of $375,000, more than any of Archie Miller’s three countable assistants last season. Fife is also due a $25,000 retention bonus each year he remains in the job, payable beginning May 1, 2022.

Fife’s contract runs through 2023 but includes language automatically renewing itself June 30 of each year beginning in 2022, and running in perpetuity.

The contract Hunter signed when he joined Miller’s staff in September 2020, which pays him $307,530, annually, remains in place for the moment.

But IndyStar understands IU plans on improving the terms of Hunter’s contract, after the former Georgetown, Nebraska and UConn assistant agreed to remain in Bloomington as part of Woodson’s first staff. Hunter had interest from other high-major programs this spring before agreeing to remain with Indiana.

Hunter and Fife are eligible for the same performance-related bonuses as Matta, with supplemental compensation tied to Big Ten and NCAA Tournament performance. All three men also receive ancillary benefits as well, including moving expenses, annual adidas product stipends, a courtesy car, etc.

IU still has one countable position unfilled, plus a variety of support-staff positions, including though not limited to director of operations.

I’d like AJ Moye or AJ Guyton in some capacity.  Maybe not third assistant, but involved in the program. 

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’d like AJ Moye or AJ Guyton in some capacity.  Maybe not third assistant, but involved in the program. 

Neither will be the 3rd assistant. Moye has a chance at a player development job, Guyton has stated he hasn't had any communication with IU since the hiring. 

11 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Looking forward to this being over. I need a new F5 key after this past month. 

lol enjoy the ride for another few days to a week. After the 3rd assistant and one more transfer there won't be a whole lot happening between now and the beginning of the season. With Gunn committed for 2022, I feel Woody may go after Washington and Smith and that's it. 2022 class will be small. He will work on 2023 probably this summer.  But yes, since IU blew that lead to Michigan State at home it's been a busy 1.5 months. 

8 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

lol enjoy the ride for another few days to a week. After the 3rd assistant and one more transfer there won't be a whole lot happening between now and the beginning of the season. With Gunn committed for 2022, I feel Woody may go after Washington and Smith and that's it. 2022 class will be small. He will work on 2023 probably this summer.  But yes, since IU blew that lead to Michigan State at home it's been a busy 1.5 months. 

Hopefully, 2 more transfers.