Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

I believe Lewis considered this position (and other HC opportunities) similar to what the kids in the transfer portal are doing now. IU athletic department was confident he would sign on, but he just went a different direction than assumed after some thought/time. It happens.

I doubt Fife is now the "coach in waiting" that people are seeming to assume he is. I think even if he came Lewis also wouldn't be a "coach in waiting" so there wouldn't really be that conflict. If he's successful, I think Woodson will spend about 10 years at IU before he retires. Maybe as many as 15 if he wants to work into his late 70s like a few of the current coaches out there. Even if he retires in 7 years at 70, that's a long time for someone to hang around as the "coach in waiting."

UCLA just made the Final Four as a First Four so his stock has to be sky high right now. He might get a HC job this summer. If not and the team does well maybe next year or the year after. So it could be a career decision. Maybe he just really likes LA. Or maybe he wants to be as stable as possible for his family (I'm assuming he has kids, I have no idea) so he might not want to move every few years. 

Taking a HC position and doing well would likely be the best way to try to get the IU position when it opens up.

21 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I doubt Fife is now the "coach in waiting" that people are seeming to assume he is. I think even if he came Lewis also wouldn't be a "coach in waiting" so there wouldn't really be that conflict. If he's successful, I think Woodson will spend about 10 years at IU before he retires. Maybe as many as 15 if he wants to work into his late 70s like a few of the current coaches out there. Even if he retires in 7 years at 70, that's a long time for someone to hang around as the "coach in waiting."

UCLA just made the Final Four as a First Four so his stock has to be sky high right now. He might get a HC job this summer. If not and the team does well maybe next year or the year after. So it could be a career decision. Maybe he just really likes LA. Or maybe he wants to be as stable as possible for his family (I'm assuming he has kids, I have no idea) so he might not want to move every few years. 

Taking a HC position and doing well would likely be the best way to try to get the IU position when it opens up.

Fife literally mentioned the possibility in an interview as something Izzo told him, so I definitely think it’s something on his mind. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Fife literally mentioned the possibility in an interview as something Izzo told him, so I definitely think it’s something on his mind. 

Being a long time assistant at the school certainly wouldn't hurt but I doubt there's been any conversation saying that whichever ex-IU player is the assistant will become the next coach after Woodson. I don't think there's any guarantee of that.

9 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Being a long time assistant at the school certainly wouldn't hurt but I doubt there's been any conversation saying that whichever ex-IU player is the assistant will become the next coach after Woodson. I don't think there's any guarantee of that.

I very much doubt it's a guarantee but I think Fife definitely has that possibility in his head, basically what we just saw happen at UNC. 

Probably overthinking it as well regarding Fife. I suspect Dolson and Woody are looking to build a winning culture that is sustainable over the next 5-10 years.  If we do that then it may make sense to hire from within the program but Fife may not wait that long. Build a winner today.  I hope Woody did not take the position already thinking of an exit. 

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

I very much doubt it's a guarantee but I think Fife definitely has that possibility in his head, basically what we just saw happen at UNC. 

If Fife was part of our resurgence, and showed years of loyalty,  I'm sure he would get strong consideration.  You would have to think CMW would have strong sway and would want to reward Fife at that point. I hope we enjoy the level of success that this becomes an option.

Yasir Rosemond is my guess and it sounds like that’s what Rabby is hinting at now. He seems to be the focus but then again Lewis had been who they’d been hinting at the last couple weeks so who knows. 

I’ll probably change my mind again by tomorrow lol