Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

That would be an awful decision to guarantee a guy the HC position before ever having coach in your building or with your team.  Nothing would make me happier as an IU fan than for Fife to continue to blossom and seamlessly take over for a successfully retiring CMW, but to guarantee it 5-10 yrs in advance would be a horrible decision and one I highly doubt SD made.
I guess I was eluding to more of a "nothing in writing" agreement. Plan would be for him to take over at some point. Could be wrong but I don't know that it's that outlandish to think this was discussed

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IMO Dolson doesn't play the coach-in-waiting game.  Woody wanted Fife and Fife wanted IU and if Lewis comes it will be the same line of thinking.   Impossible to know the dynamics of how the next years are going to pan out.  Rifts can develop, personal situations can change, Woody could go back to the NBA after a single season.  Way too many unknowns and I just don't believe that Fife is returning to IU because of any implied promises.

Agree.  Re-evaluate when time comes and make the best decision. 

11 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

Also, its also a good way for Fife to get out from under Izzo's shadow. Not saying that Fife might regret having gone to MSU or that it was a bad experience in any way, just that any credit for success will always be given to Izzo because of his established reputation. With Woodson being new to the college game, IU's assistants will probably get a ton of credit for any success, which in turn might boost their own profiles for future jobs. Also, with Fife being at MSU for so long, he's probably maxed out what he can learn from Izzo, and getting a different perspective from Woodson (especially with his NBA background) is probably very enticing

Yeah, I agree. Also think that if you have interest in moving up, demonstrating a successful run at a second big school would be a huge resume enhancement (largely because of what you said). 

2 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I honestly thought we'd have to pay Fife at least double that.

Why? It's a $60k raise (the $25k retention bonus is annual) which is pretty good. That's a 17.6% raise to go to his alma mater to coach.

48 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IMO Dolson doesn't play the coach-in-waiting game.  Woody wanted Fife and Fife wanted IU and if Lewis comes it will be the same line of thinking.   Impossible to know the dynamics of how the next years are going to pan out.  Rifts can develop, personal situations can change, Woody could go back to the NBA after a single season.  Way too many unknowns and I just don't believe that Fife is returning to IU because of any implied promises.

Yeah, I doubt that Dolson and Fife have a "deal" that he will take over once Woodson leaves. My guess would be more along the lines of he was promised he would be in the inner circle and would be guaranteed a serious interview for the position once it opened up...but no guarantees he will get the job.

50 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Agreed 100%. I'm guessing it was discussed that if things work out, "Dane, you could be on-track to be the next HC". I'm skeptical of any promises or contracts, and that would be a mistake IMO.

I wasn't trying to suggest that it was in his contract or that he was promised anything (bad word choices on my part I guess). I was implying what many of you are saying which is it was discussed and there was a mutual understanding of how it would ideally play out. Again maybe nothing was talked about which would also be cool with me because then that simply suggests Dane really wanted to come to IU and that was all it was about. Because at that point it isn't about $ (not really) and it isn't about being closer to home because it's not. I guess that's why I was thinking that and just figured there was most likely another motive for him outside of going back to his alma mater.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Lewis would automatically be getting a "pay raise" even if we offered what he's making now. Just because of the insane taxes in LA. 

We just got back from spending a week in the Big Sur, Carmel area. It's nuts how expensive everything is out there. Meals, gas, lodging... all easily 60-80% more than good ole IN.

15 minutes ago, bigrod said:

We just got back from spending a week in the Big Sur, Carmel area. It's nuts how expensive everything is out there. Meals, gas, lodging... all easily 60-80% more than good ole IN.

Cali just isn't a place worth going for me. 

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa

California is one of my favorite places on earth. More in that state than most countries can boast. Beaches. Vineyards. Cities. Nightlife. Incredible hiking. Adventure sports. Amazing outdoor parks. I love it all. And yes, some interesting, accepting, vibrant people, too. 
Each to his own

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa

California is one of my favorite places on earth. More in that state than most countries can boast. Beaches. Vineyards. Cities. Nightlife. Incredible hiking. Adventure sports. Amazing outdoor parks. I love it all. And yes, some interesting, accepting, vibrant people, too. 

California is perfect except for one very important thing.  Not the cost of living.