Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

Like many here, I'm wondering if CMW not rounding his staff just yet means he's holding out hope for Michael Lewis, who will be finished with his season one way or another in a couple days. 

But with Moser leaving Loyola for Oklahoma, is it possible the Ramblers would go after Lewis? He's got Midwest ties and is an established recruiter and coach in the region. Plus, that seems as if it wouldn't be a bad choice for your first head coaching gig. I've seen nothing speculating on whom Loyola might seek -- but DePaul just hired a top Pac-12 assistant. 

I guess if Loyola does have any interest -- and I have no indication they do; it just seems as if it might make sense -- Michael would have to weigh finally getting his own program vs. coaching at IU w/ the possibility of taking over when Woody is done. If in fact, that is a possibility.  

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Like many here, I'm wondering if CMW not rounding his staff just yet means he's holding out hope for Michael Lewis, who will be finished with his season one way or another in a couple days. 

But with Moser leaving Loyola for Oklahoma, is it possible the Ramblers would go after Lewis? He's got Midwest ties and is an established recruiter and coach in the region. Plus, that seems as if it'd be a pretty good choice for your first head coaching stop. DePaul just hired a top Pac-12 assistant. 

I guess if Loyola does have any interest -- and I have no indication they do; it just seems as if it might make sense -- Michael would have to weigh finally getting his own program vs. coaching at IU w/ the possibility of taking over when Woody is done. If in fact, that is a possibility.  

I wonder if they won’t hand the keys to their assistant Valentine...he an up and comer and well regarded

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

But with Moser leaving Loyola for Oklahoma, is it possible the Ramblers would go after Lewis? He's got Midwest ties and is an established recruiter and coach in the region. Plus, that seems as if it wouldn't be a bad choice for your first head coaching gig. I've seen nothing speculating on whom Loyola might seek -- but DePaul just hired a top Pac-12 assistant. 

Missed this. Is he getting any grief for telling his team he is coming back then he leaves 

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

Missed this. Is he getting any grief for telling his team he is coming back then he leaves 

Doubt it. I never saw where that was confirmed and I think that was before Oklahoma even opened. 

Porter Moser to Oklahoma makes about as much sense as Porter Moser to Indiana. I'm not trashing the guy, but you are what your record says you are. I know that he's had recent success and I'm certainly happy for a guy that's been coaching as long as he has to have it, but I think sports media has driven his success out of proportion. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but anytime the national guys say a coach is a "can't miss" opportunity....I'm beyond skeptical...and NOT because of what has transpired here at Indiana alone. Overselling and under-delivering has been the defining theme these last 10 years...in my opinion of course.

In regards to Lewis' potential HC jobs. Are any of these schools suitors we should be worried may give Lewis the gig and he take it?

Texas Tech - doesn't seem likely
Utah State - this one would be a good situation to get into imo. Have also heard Tim Miles name come up
Eastern Michigan - back to the midwest?
DePaul - opportunity at a power 6 school?

I will say Dane Fife makes sense for 2 of these schools if there was interest; TX Tech and EMU. I know it's been mentioned Fife won't leave unless it's a power 5 HC gig but staying in Michigan and building his HC resume at EMU could make sense although it is unlikely. Anyhow these were the only HC jobs that I thought could potentially be a road block for us getting Lewis back to IU. Anybody know of anything else aside from him staying at UCLA? Also I know his name wasn't mentioned with any of these jobs but that doesn't mean anything.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

In regards to Lewis' potential HC jobs. Are any of these schools suitors we should be worried may give Lewis the gig and he take it?

Utah State - this one would be a good situation to get into imo. Have also heard Tim Miles name come up

I will say Dane Fife makes sense for 2 of these schools if there was interest; TX Tech and EMU. I know it's been mentioned Fife won't leave unless it's a power 5 HC gig but staying in Michigan and building his HC resume at EMU could make sense although it is unlikely. Anyhow these were the only HC jobs that I thought could potentially be a road block for us getting Lewis back to IU. Anybody know of anything else aside from him staying at UCLA? Also I know his name wasn't mentioned with any of these jobs but that doesn't mean anything.

Cross off DePaul. They hired Tony Stubblefield, Oregon assistant.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-depaul-tony-stubblefield-20210401-agtecoreqzempg6embz2sl62ce-story.html

15 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I would think Lewis would make more sense for Texas Tech than Fife.

Lewis was a grad assistant there under RMK. ... But I wonder if they'd hire a P5 assistant who's never been a head coach? 

7 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

He is more than "holding out hope."

I would think Lewis would make more sense for Texas Tech than Fife.
Lewis was a grad assistant there under RMK. ... But I wonder if they'd hire a P5 assistant who's never been a head coach? 
Read one piece that said Mark Adams (current AHC) and Darvin Ham are good possibilities

2 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Read one piece that said Mark Adams (current AHC) and Darvin Ham are good possibilities

Backboard-smashing dunk Darvin Ham??