Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’d like this. Fife, Lewis, May all seem like attractive options to the program.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Why do people keep taking about May like he's an IU guy? He's not. He's UNC. That's where he played and where's he's been working.

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

Why do people keep taking about May like he's an IU guy? He's not. He's UNC. That's where he played and where's he's been working.

Who cares? If he is a good coach then I don’t care where he did or didn’t play. Let’s not forget he’s from Indiana and his dad IS an IU guy. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Don't count out Sean May as an assistant. Scott May and Woody are like brothers. Sean has been with UNC for 6 seasons as DOB

Eh this is something I’m afraid of. Really don’t want a job handed out based on relationships with others. I hope Woodson wouldn’t do this. We need a strong recruiter or developer. May hasn’t even been an assistant coach yet 

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I don’t get the Sean May look. He didn’t even want to play here. His dad did great things though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Things are a changin in Bloomington. Every great basketball mind that ever played or coached under Bob Knight (there's A LOT!), is now gonna be readily available as a resource. Seems like the entire IUBB family has been woken and mobilized for the first time since Knight's departure. 

30 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Eh this is something I’m afraid of. Really don’t want a job handed out based on relationships with others. I hope Woodson wouldn’t do this. We need a strong recruiter or developer. May hasn’t even been an assistant coach yet 

I wouldn't worry too much about staff. One of them is coaching in the final four this weekend and the other wont be Sean May. My guesses based off Woody stating to Dakich that the staff was just as important as retaining the players. He gets it. Lewis and Adams would be my guess. No idea as to who the DOBO would be. Hoping someone like Moye or Guyton. 

27 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

FIFY

You are on a roll, I like it!

I want the same thing for the Assistants that I did for the HC- the best we can get. I know nothing about Sean May's coaching, so maybe he's a star in the making. But the fact he grew up in Indiana and his dad was a great player shouldn't matter, IMO. I know that is completely swimming upstream of the current of "all things IU all the time!" but sheesh. Just hire good coaches, if they are from Indiana/IU all the better, but that shouldn't be a requirement. 

13 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

You are on a roll, I like it!

I want the same thing for the Assistants that I did for the HC- the best we can get. I know nothing about Sean May's coaching, so maybe he's a star in the making. But the fact he grew up in Indiana and his dad was a great player shouldn't matter, IMO. I know that is completely swimming upstream of the current of "all things IU all the time!" but sheesh. Just hire good coaches, if they are from Indiana/IU all the better, but that shouldn't be a requirement. 

I agree completely, but...if they have IU ties, that should win all "coin flips" on the choice.

1 hour ago, Dalton26 said:

Who cares? If he is a good coach then I don’t care where he did or didn’t play. Let’s not forget he’s from Indiana and his dad IS an IU guy. 

Sure, if he can coach. There's nothing to show that he can. He's been back at his alma mater in non-coaching roles. He's also being talked about as if he was part of the IU tree and mentioned along side actual IU alumni like Lewis and Fife.

His dad played for IU and he grew up in Bloomington. There's nothing to indicate he has any strong feelings for IU. He certainly has no assistant coaching experience. If he wasn't Scott May's son he wouldn't be talked about here at all. 

Is the idea to pull him away from his alma mater to be DOBO at IU? Or is it to learn how to be an assistant coach at the same time the head coach is learning to do that at the college level?

I want assistant coaches with experience and don't see any reason he'd leave to go to the same position at IU.

2 hours ago, VO5 said:

Sean May can be Mike Roberts. He can be the 3rd assistant. Dude has been a great player, played in the league and been around Roy Williams for the last 6 years.

I thought I’d start a separate thread to discuss possible Assistant Coaches and other staff members. 

Coach Woodson has retained stud recruiter Kenya Hunter, so we have 2 more spots open. I would personally like to see 2 more stud recruiters added to the staff. It’s very important that Coach Woodson surrounds himself with 3 assistants that have significant recruiting connections and can open doors for him. I don’t doubt Coach Woodsons ability to recruit, relate to players, and sell his NBA coaching experience, especially after he got Trayce to stay another year. However, Coach Woodson doesn’t have the recruiting connections to AAU programs, high school coaches, etc. 

Anyways here are some names that have been thrown out for the 2 open assistant coaching staff positions. 

Dane Fife - been at Michigan State for 10 years now under legendary coach Tom Izzo. Stud recruiter with Midwest and state of Indiana connections. Was the lead recruiter on Jaren Jackson, Max Christie, Joshua Langford, Jaden Akins, Malik Hall, Matthew McQuaid, etc. Is currently the lead recruiter on 5 star Jalen Washington, 4 star Tre Holloman, 3 star Jaden Schutt, etc. Regarded as a very good defensive coach. Would certainly be a great hire if you can get him. Would lessen the Michigan State staff and would give Indiana the ability to land some great recruits and steal some of Michigan State’s recruits. Indiana has a shot here, but they will have to offer him a large salary for him to say yes. 

Michael Lewis - current UCLA assistant coach under Mick Cronin. Worked under Brad Stevens (Masshole) and Chris Holtmann at Butler. Also worked under Tim Miles at Nebraska for 3 years. Regarded for his offensive coaching ability, the Bruins are currently 13th in the country in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency (KenPom). 

Drew Adams - Current Assistant at Bradley.  Son of Indiana Elite director Mark Adam’s. Drew has great connections to obviously Indiana Elite and other Midwest programs. Has gotten good players to Bradley and increased their overall talent level. 

Adam Cohen - Associate HC at Stanford. A very, very good recruiter. Has landed 5 stars Zaire Williams and Harrison Ingram, 4 stars Isael Silva, Jaiden Delaire, and Tyrell Terry. 

KT Turner - Associate HC at Texas this year, but Shaka Smart is now gone. Worked under Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown at SMU. Landed Shake Milton, Tyson Jolly, Charles Smith, etc. at SMU. 

Some other name that aren’t as plugged in recruiters, but worth mentioning for the Assistant position. 

Mike Roberts - will be interesting to see what happen there. Hasn’t been retained, but he is still working at IU right now. 

Calbert Cheaney - I don’t think Calbert brings us the recruiting punch and connections we would like. 

Sean May - Worked under Roy Williams in a non-recruiting position the last 6 years. I would certainly prefer a much more proven recruiter  

Anyways, I will continue to update this list as I read and learn more about the possible Assistant coaches. Just wanted to provide a place where we could talk about the Assistant coaching staff and just that. If you have heard any rumors from reliable sources please share.