Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

Is IU going full factory???

I hope. And hope for other things like getting away from adidas and going Nike or Jordan. ONLY simply bc the kids love it! That’s my only reason. Add a few alternate Jersey options as well

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

I hope with Woodson’s reputation in NYC, that we get a good recruiter for that hotbed of talent. Pitino used to raid NYC, time for IU to take advantage of that recruiting ground. 

Has Ewing been recruiting NY well?

Larry Brown Resume:

• Played at UNC under Dean Smith
  • Olympic Gold Medal Champion (player)
  • ABA Champion and 3x All Star (player)
  • 3x ABA Coach of the Year
  • Naismith NCAA Coach of the Year
  • National Runner Up as UCLA coach
  • National Champion as Kansas coach
  • NBA Coach of the Year as Sixers coach
  • NBA Champion as Pistons coach
  • Coached 8 different teams to the NBA playoffs (Nuggets, Nets, Spurs, Clippers, Pacers, Sixers, Pistons, Bobcats)

He is the history of basketball personified.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Dale Davis played a good part of the heart of his career with Larry Brown as his coach. Not sure if that’s part of this

Doubt it’s directly related. Larry Brown was supposed to be involved in a Woodson staff when he was campaigning the job back in 2017. 

I think Woody just really respects his basketball mind.

11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

To be of real help at 80 would be a big outlier.

Then again, just five years ago he built a top 20 team at SMU (a program on a 20+ year streak without a tournament berth) at age 75.

Wouldn't trust him to run a program for lots of reasons, but it is very likely he still has something to offer.

Edited by jimsorgi

I'm not going to speculate on who he's going to get but am very interested to see how it ends up. Makes you wonder if he has enough pull to maybe grab another NBA assistant or player development guy. Woodson doesn't seem as hard headed and closed minded as Archie. So getting great kinds around him will be great. Woodson seems to really want info and game knowledge to flow. 

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm not going to speculate on who he's going to get but am very interested to see how it ends up. Makes you wonder if he has enough pull to maybe grab another NBA assistant or player development guy. Woodson doesn't seem as hard headed and closed minded as Archie. So getting great kinds around him will be great. Woodson seems to really want info and game knowledge to flow. 

I liked his comment during the presser about making sure he keeps his ego because he always wants to learn from the basketball minds (referencing Thad). 

Crean was like that but too far. He was applying every coaches plays from every offensive set. 

*Asst coach holds placard that says 3 Man Weave version 3.4, wrinkle 1.2*

17 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Would he stay within the parameters of what he was hired to do?  Honestly, I'd be concerned with him trying to worm/weasel his way into a larger role and then do we start running afoul of the NCAA if he oversteps?  I'm definitely against this idea.

Me too and from a purely practical standpoint, what does Larry have left in the tank? He clearly could coach, but at 80, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm all for collecting talent, but at some point will there be too many cooks in the kitchen? 

30 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

we will have the best non-bench basketball think tank in the country.

Probably have an intern working overtime figuring out job titles.

Larry Brown - Chief of Staff / Senior Advisor to Basketball Operations 

57 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Me too and from a purely practical standpoint, what does Larry have left in the tank? He clearly could coach, but at 80, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm all for collecting talent, but at some point will there be too many cooks in the kitchen? 

Although, I think that’s the environment Woodson is used to in the NBA, where some teams might have 4 or 5 assistants, plus multiple additional guys dedicated to scouting, analytics, etc

9 minutes ago, T White said:

HA! He looks a bit like Kevin McHale in that photo.

image.thumb.png.1e6603b24afc8f69aee1c0a7c79d1963.png

Maybe Larry is just there to score them some victory weed until Thad's medical marijuana card is approved. In the above photo I believe he is signalling he needs 6 dime bag  to his dealer in the stands. Hand signalling was much more crude and rudimentary  in the 1970's