Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

12 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Getting that from Peegs?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I’ve seen it a few places with multiple people saying that they are hearing it from people that have “been right about everything up to this point”. DD also said this morning on the radio that neither Fife or Izzo view him as the next coach at MSU so that is more myth than reality.

Would definitely be pumped to get Fife. Seems the situation we have brewing would be intriguing and exciting for him to want to be a part of. Plus MSU obviously isn’t in the tournament still, so maybe that’s something we can hear about fairly soon. Wouldn’t be surprised if we end up getting Lewis instead though either, and that would be just fine as well. He’d probably find our situation pretty exciting as well, plus he already knows Hunter if he happens to stay on staff. 

Fife is more likely imo and he’s also been the lead recruiter for Jalen Washington too. So if we could hurt MSU in couple of different ways I’m all for it. Woodson also seems set on what offense he’s going to run. I’m not sure what UCLA is running though because I haven’t paid close enough attention.

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

Fife is more likely imo and he’s also been the lead recruiter for Jalen Washington too. So if we could hurt MSU in couple of different ways I’m all for it. Woodson also seems set on what offense he’s going to run. I’m not sure what UCLA is running though because I haven’t paid close enough attention.

Hmm, looking at it you’re right, Fife is big in his recruitment...

I certainly wouldn’t mind Fife coming in under Woodson as a sort of coach in waiting, but not sure how much Woodson knows of him/if he wants to leave MSU.

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Hmm, looking at it you’re right, Fife is big in his recruitment...

I certainly wouldn’t mind Fife coming in under Woodson as a sort of coach in waiting, but not sure how much Woodson knows of him/if he wants to leave MSU.

I would've thought the number of years that Fife spent under Izzo and NOT be considered his successor would be kind of disheartening.  Maybe there is a chance we get Fife.  It would be nice to have his leg up in recruiting and really stick it to MSU.

Would make more sense in the long run for Fife to come to Bloomington. More likely to end up the coach here when Woody retires (hoping he retires and is not relieved of his duties) than to take over at MSU for Izzo. 

Of course it’s hard to say what his ambitions are. If he wants to get a HC spot sooner, he may be better off staying in East Lansing. 

If I was Fife, I'm not sure I'd want to leave one assistant job for another. He's been a head coach at the D1 level. He could probably run a program somewhere.

Same with Lewis... Why would he leave a coaching job at UCLA to be an assistant at IU? I think we should be realistic here.

21 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

I would've thought the number of years that Fife spent under Izzo and NOT be considered his successor would be kind of disheartening.  Maybe there is a chance we get Fife.  It would be nice to have his leg up in recruiting and really stick it to MSU.

Dwayne Stephens is looked at by a bunch of people as the one to take over the Michigan State job.

7 hours ago, ap2345 said:

He'll likely be on the bench. Comar was and that's the role Matta is now in. 

Comar's health was probably more conducive to that than Thad's is....I have to think Matta accepted the position with the understanding that sitting on the bench, and travel in general, would be situational and would be Thad's call to make on a case-by-case basis. I assume Dolson was OK with that arrangement.

2 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

If I was Fife, I'm not sure I'd want to leave one assistant job for another. He's been a head coach at the D1 level. He could probably run a program somewhere.

mostly agree. But this may be his best chance to take over IU one day if Woody is successful 

5 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Same with Lewis... Why would he leave a head coaching job at UCLA to be an assistant at IU? I think we should be realistic here.

No guarantee that Fife will be the next coach at MSU, Some think Stephens who played there will be. Dane has turned down mid-majors so he is waiting for a P5 job. Lewis closer to home, cheaper living in Bloomington, than LA and might get a pay raise.