Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

The logical part of me says we should avoid an all IU Staff. 

BUT ****** IT!

Lewis

Fire

Cheaney

Guyton - DOBO

THIS RIGHT HERE. We are doing this, lets go all in. Can you imagine the salty media/purdue/kentucky tears if this works and was a 100% IU staff? I am all about it.

1. Kenny Payne
  2. Michael Lewis
  3. Kenya Hunter

If we have those three, Woodson has the best staff in the country and we should be a contender quick.  Not sure how realistic Payne is now that he's in the NBA, and it sounds like there is a decent chance both Hunter and Roberts have already been retained.

3 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:
  1. Kenny Payne
  2. Michael Lewis
  3. Kenya Hunter

If we have those three, Woodson has the best staff in the country and we should be a contender quick.  Not sure how realistic Payne is now that he's in the NBA, and it sounds like there is a decent chance both Hunter and Roberts have already been retained.

Well Payne was working with Woodson. I'd assume he'd follow the money if it was right.

18 minutes ago, Southside said:

Well Payne was working with Woodson. I'd assume he'd follow the money if it was right.

IDK about Payne. He had an opportunity to be Depaul's HC and declined. So I can't believe he'd rather be an assistant at IU, but I could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

IDK about Payne. He had an opportunity to be Depaul's HC and declined. So I can't believe he'd rather be an assistant at IU, but I could be wrong. 

Depaul has finished last in the conf for 5 years straight, and hasn't been to the tourney since 2004. 

Depaul also was not listed in the top 75 pay (coaches salaries).

So, monumental job, low pay, I probably would have stayed in NY too. And he has no ties to Depaul except for prior relationship with the AD. 

3 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

I’m really interested I. Hearing more details about Thad Matta and his specific role in the program. I’m very excited to have him join. Dude was a flat out stud. Recruited the Midwest exceptionally well. 

Matta won't be able to "recruit" as such (off campus) and he won't be able to do any bench-coaching

10 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

Matta won't be able to "recruit" as such (off campus) and he won't be able to do any bench-coaching

I'm OK with him puppet mastering recruiting from AH. I'd rather the young hotshot assistants do the off campus stuff. 

With his leg issue, bench coaching would have been a challenge perhaps anyway. I'd be ecstatic if he can just get our guys shooting as good as his past teams. And who better to help with practice management, game planning, etc..

52 minutes ago, Southside said:

I'm OK with him puppet mastering recruiting from AH. I'd rather the young hotshot assistants do the off campus stuff. 

With his leg issue, bench coaching would have been a challenge perhaps anyway. I'd be ecstatic if he can just get our guys shooting as good as his past teams. And who better to help with practice management, game planning, etc..

I agree. Matta can get alot done behind the scenes. 

Dan Dakitch 

I’m kidding!!!

My top four:

Buckley

Hunter

Lewis

Payne

I do miss having a Tim Buckley on staff. Is he looking to leave Nevada anytime soon? This team could really use “the shot doctor”. 

6 hours ago, Magisterium said:

He'll likely be on the bench. Comar was and that's the role Matta is now in. 

I see a lot of Indiana names in this thread. I'm sure Woodson has a lot of contacts in the NBA. I'd love if he could poach an assistant from another NBA team to help with player development. I hope the other two assistants are young, elite recruiters. Everyone talks about Phil Martelli but Juwan Howard was also able to keep Saadi Washington on the staff, who's one of the best recruiters in the country. Surrounding Woodson with the best staff in the country will be one of the keys to success.