Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

16 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

From that Athletic article:from Brian Evans about Archie…..

Evans: Being stoic on the court is one thing, but there was no warmth to him, none. He had me in town for some fantasy camp, and I was so blown away by the shitty effort put forward by Archie and his staff. I was embarrassed. Honestly, embarrassed. These guys mailed it in and did nothing. For the guys who came to the camp and paid for this, it sucked. … They got nothing out of it.

Big big ouch lol. 

3 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

IMO, Woodson's IU history was great. He gets it unlike some others.

And his love for Knight, was a great way to bridge the old with the new. Love BK or hate him, doesn't matter. A lot of folks will always love him, and mending that bridge at a time when BK likely is short on years is great for the program.

And it appears he can recruit and relate to the kids, which was the biggest concern I saw from most anti-Woody voices. 

Still really early, but it's going a lot better and faster than I expected. 

And Joe Hillman….

Hillman: I called Fred (Glass), we talked a few times, I told him, “This is an absolutely horrible hire.” He said he was sorry to hear me say that. I told him, “I’ll support you and the program, but I think it’s the wrong guy.” Archie never bought into one thing that Indiana was all about. Crean tried, to his credit. Archie, nope.

Maybe not a surprise, but conclusions from the mostly positive view of Davis and Crean vs. the cold view of Sampson and Arch:

1. You actually DON’T have to be an “IU guy” if you care about IU’s history and tradition, and

2. you win without egregious NCAA violations.

Now of course Woody seems to be doing both while also being an IU legend, which is a cherry on top to many.

30 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

And Joe Hillman….

Hillman: I called Fred (Glass), we talked a few times, I told him, “This is an absolutely horrible hire.” He said he was sorry to hear me say that. I told him, “I’ll support you and the program, but I think it’s the wrong guy.” Archie never bought into one thing that Indiana was all about. Crean tried, to his credit. Archie, nope.

I went Flyin’ to the Hoop last January, which is a truly great high school event in Dayton. While there I spoke to maybe half a dozen people who, when they found out I followed IU, absolutely GUSHED over Miller. They loved the dude. Made absolutely heartfelt arguments that his issues had to be related to lack of administration.or fan support. When I tried to explain to them that, no, the guy just never connected with the base and didn’t appear to make a wholehearted effort and appeared to lose the team multiple times and just failed straight from the jump, the more receptive folks were simply flabbergasted and a couple told me straight up that they didn’t believe me. One told me that if Miller couldn’t succeed IU was destined to permanent irrelevance. They weren’t nasty, it’s just how highly they think of the guy. It was eye-opening.

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

I went Flyin’ to the Hoop last January, which is a truly great high school event in Dayton. While there I spoke to maybe half a dozen people who, when they found out I followed IU, absolutely GUSHED over Miller. They loved the dude. Made absolutely heartfelt arguments that his issues had to be related to lack of administration.or fan support. When I tried to explain to them that, no, the guy just never connected with the base and didn’t appear to make a wholehearted effort and appeared to lose the team multiple times and just failed straight from the jump, the more receptive folks were simply flabbergasted and a couple told me straight up that they didn’t believe me. One told me that if Miller couldn’t succeed IU was destined to permanent irrelevance. They weren’t nasty, it’s just how highly they think of the guy, it was eye-opening.

I don’t doubt you but it’s telling that former IU players made these comments and that his own players never said anything positive about Archie, didn’t acknowledge him on senior nights etc etc. Not sure what happened when he went to IU but the disconnect/carnage with Archie is puzzling.  In any case Woody has us going in the right direction and the base is going to be off the charts excited for this season. 

13 minutes ago, Demo said:

I went Flyin’ to the Hoop last January, which is a truly great high school event in Dayton. While there I spoke to maybe half a dozen people who, when they found out I followed IU, absolutely GUSHED over Miller. They loved the dude. Made absolutely heartfelt arguments that his issues had to be related to lack of administration.or fan support. When I tried to explain to them that, no, the guy just never connected with the base and didn’t appear to make a wholehearted effort and appeared to lose the team multiple times and just failed straight from the jump, the more receptive folks were simply flabbergasted and a couple told me straight up that they didn’t believe me. One told me that if Miller couldn’t succeed IU was destined to permanent irrelevance. They weren’t nasty, it’s just how highly they think of the guy. It was eye-opening.

I think the job simply was too big for him. Expectations too high. I don't doubt the sincerity of the Dayton fans at all, but he seemed to just bump his head on his ceiling in Bloomington. Not everyone is cut out for certain jobs, or higher level programs. 

9 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I don’t doubt you but it’s telling that former IU players made these comments and that his own players never said anything positive about Archie, didn’t acknowledge him on senior nights etc etc. Not sure what happened when he went to IU but the disconnect/carnage with Archie is puzzling.  In any case Woody has us going in the right direction and the base is going to be off the charts excited for this season. 

Don’t get me wrong, the guy failed and you absolutely move on. Just found it interesting how differently he was perceived by that fanbase, and not merely as a coach but as a guy and member of the community. He seemed to be really connected there  and was in no way connected here. Curious.

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Don’t get me wrong, the guy failed and you absolutely move on. Just found it interesting how differently he was perceived by that fanbase, and not merely as a coach but as a guy and member of the community. He seemed to be really connected there  and was in no way connected here. Curious.

Yes, I understood what you posted and agree that it is, as you say, curious. And in Fred Glass’s defense many pundits across the country considered the three “hot” young coaches to be Archie, Mack and Holtman and Fred signed Archie. 

2 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Yes, I understood what you posted and agree that it is, as you say, curious. And in Fred Glass’s defense many pundits across the country considered the three “hot” young coaches to be Archie, Mack and Holtman and Fred signed Archie. 

I don't think he ever recovered from the horrible start he had. His defensive scheme was broken from the beginning here. The worse things got, the more detached he became. I thought it was a good hire at the time, but I was clearly wrong. I think we have the right guy now.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

It is curious but it doesn’t really surprise me. Archie is not and never was a bad guy, it’s just that that program and IU are very different animals and for whatever reason he was a fish out of water here. The whole pack line thing - failure here. The demeanor - just not a fit for IU. Then the Covid year that robbed him of a tourney showing. His approach and style just didn’t fit at IU. I wish him well

13 hours ago, DChoosier said:

And Joe Hillman….

Am I Joe Hillman?  I definitely told Glass the same thing.  Ehhh but I never got a response.  Guess not.

On 7/14/2022 at 12:27 PM, lillurk said:

There’s something really strange about taking a job at a place like IU and then acting like you don’t care about the legacy.

I'm assuming you're talking about Archie (and I agree).

But I also often wonder how much the BOT and decision makers since Knight, actually cared about the BB legacy. For a very long time it just felt like they gave zero Fs lol. 

Feels different now the way they hired Woody, and let him fill out his staff. I love it. 

On Archie though... Never thought he was a bad guy. Just thought he was perhaps the wrong guy. Perhaps we thought we were getting in on the ground floor and getting a version of his brother lol. Perhaps it was just a lazy pick when we struck out on some bigger names. 

10 hours ago, Southside said:

On Archie

Archie was arguably the best coach available if IU was intent on going the traditional route of hiring a young coach who appeared to be on the way up. Archie had a very good reputation when IU hired him and it seemed like a very good hire. But, as it turned out, he was too aloof for IU. He didn't seem to connect well with the IU community or even his players. He recruited Indiana's top two players--Romeo Langford and Trayce Jackson Davis--in successive years. But his inability to land other top players hurt performance as did his coaching style. Once Indiana started losing more than the fan base was willing to accept, he wasn't going to survive. 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Archie was arguably the best coach available if IU was intent on going the traditional route of hiring a young coach who appeared to be on the way up. Archie had a very good reputation when IU hired him and it seemed like a very good hire. But, as it turned out, he was too aloof for IU. He didn't seem to connect well with the IU community or even his players. He recruited Indiana's top two players--Romeo Langford and Trayce Jackson Davis--in successive years. But his inability to land other top players hurt performance as did his coaching style. Once Indiana started losing more than the fan base was willing to accept, he wasn't going to survive. 

I can't dispute this.  I also suspect that it's possible that CAM really wasn't overly enthusiastic about IU but it was too good of an opportunity to turn down.  The result wasn't good for either side.

Wife and I graduated from IU in Business the year IU basketball went undefeated.  Moved to Madison WI and then to Dayton OH.  Cheered IU every step of the way.  Still do.

Archie Miler did a great job at Dayton.  Team sport emphasis, offense was active.  Defense worked.  Recruiting was sound and improved.  Point guards were very good.  Assists and extra effort were staples.  Definitely, Archie Miller was a button-down-type.  A little like Wooden (The Wizard) but without the questionable recruiting open purse help.  Probably a little like Dakich but without the mouth. 

I went to quite a few U of Dayton games over here.  But I am not an insider.  I do love basketball at the college level.  Well, actually, I loved it more a while ago.  I was pleasantly surprised when Archie was picked for IU.  But I had hoped for a more seasoned coach with recruiting success at major university in a power conference.  I was realistic though.  I thought IU was still at a slight coach hiring disadvantage because of our churning coaches and faulty decision making by the administration.  And lack of a clear strategy to get IU basketball back at the level of being competing at the top the B10 yearly had been all too obvious.

Not really sure what caused the losses at IU during Archie's tenure.  I speculate that there were multiple problems.  Recruiting really truly never clicked.  IU suffered from a lack of a point guard, poor team play, lower efficiencies, low basketball IQ, bad shooters, lack of effort, recruiting didn't fit the schemes, lack of buy-in by players, injuries, disruptions in the locker room, players that didn't like each other, & etc.

At Dayton, Archie had a really short bench.  But his players totally bought in and never quit.  I thought Archie was more flexible at UD but it may have been the players all had relatively high basketball IQs.  They just refused to lose.

Glass seemed to give the coach too many restrictions on recruiting.  The purse was not opened, like it has been for Woodson, relative to excellent recruiters and additional experience at the AAD level like Thad Matta.  Archie may not have been able to clear out the malcontents from the team because of edicts from Glass on Student-Athlete Bill of Rights or some such. And the renewed focus on mainly Indiana High School players was somewhat limiting.  How did all that help the coach recruit tall, long, motivated ballers?  You mean that Josh Newkirk was IU's PG in Archie's first year?  Why did Archie not bring his 4* recruited PG with him?  Ask Glass.  Then Phin had one good year as a freshman.  ugh...  And poor shooting and injuries and early outs in the B10 tourney and side looks from players at each other...jeez.

But Archie Miller, head coach, did not step up.  Why, indeed?  Some people cannot adapt.  Some people work harder but not necessarily smarter.  Who but the administration could have helped shovel out that mess in the Augean Stables?

I think that the IU administration did not put Coach Miller in a position that was enabling.  I blame IU...at the top.  They should have gotten a seasoned coach that would have demanded more or helped Archie succeed rather than set him up for failure.

Just look at what Coach Woody knew what to do and the administration did too.  That is what they learned from Archie and Glass.

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

While I supported Archie until midway through his final year, I never thought he was the best coach available when he was hired.  Chris Beard and Brad Underwood in particular had better track records and probably would have taken the job back then.  And I know people around here don't like Underwood, but I think he is going to have Illinois contending for a long time.  Really glad we have Woodson, though.