Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He also hit one from another planet at MSU. 

In a lot of our down years, player like Hulls was the exact type of player that we missed. We need someone like him every year. It's ironic 'Indiana' University has been unsuccessful for quite a while to bring in 'Indiana' shooters. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The job entails exhaustive and exhausting outreach to recruits and their families and coaches, and coordination so that the coaches can get in front of those recruits as the coaches' schedules allow.

Is it an on-the-road type of job or is it primarily remote outreach via phone, texts, etc.?  Can the position be involved in day-to-day player coaching?  Is there any NCAA definition for the position that outlines what the individual can and cannot do?  I know Walsh had the position and everyone has indicated he did a fantastic job but I truly have no idea of the position's actual responsibilities.

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Is it an on-the-road type of job or is it primarily remote outreach via phone, texts, etc.?  Can the position be involved in day-to-day player coaching?  Is there any NCAA definition for the position that outlines what the individual can and cannot do?  I know Walsh had the position and everyone has indicated he did a fantastic job but I truly have no idea of the position's actual responsibilities.

They cannot go on the road recruiting. They can talk to recruits, zoom, and do anything like that but from campus. They can host recruits and things like that just can't go off campus. 

I believe they can be on the court during off-season workouts and maybe even practice. 

If one of the 3 assistants can't go to an AAU event, then they are allowed to take their place. That's all I know

On 4/29/2022 at 2:28 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

NCAA is sort of clear with making sure it's the three assistant coaches that can be on the road recruiting and giving on the court instruction. 

Last summer the NCAA passed law that allowed two non-coaching staff members to give on the court instruction for the summer periods. I imagine the same will happen this year. 

Every program is different, but I imagine Brian was basically doing all the leg work, setting up the Hotels, rental cars, hosting the recruits on the campus tours, etc. He's doing some "recruiting" when the kids are on campus, he can't go off campus recruiting unless a coach is sick or is doing something non-basketball. 

1 hour ago, Trish said:

NCAA is sort of clear with making sure it's the three assistant coaches that can be on the road recruiting and giving on the court instruction. 

Last summer the NCAA passed law that allowed two non-coaching staff members to give on the court instruction for the summer periods. I imagine the same will happen this year. 

Every program is different, but I imagine Brian was basically doing all the leg work, setting up the Hotels, rental cars, hosting the recruits on the campus tours, etc. He's doing some "recruiting" when the kids are on campus, he can't go off campus recruiting unless a coach is sick or is doing something non-basketball. 

The NCAA already put that law into place again for this summer allowing 2 other non assistants to help on court. 

57 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

The NCAA already put that law into place again for this summer allowing 2 other non assistants to help on court. 

I didn't get that memo, but good to hear then. 

3 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Minor point but the NCAA doesn't pass laws, they have rules and regulations which the member schools are required to follow (for "institutional participation"), and their enforcement mechanisms are limited... 

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

Minor point but the NCAA doesn't pass laws, they have rules and regulations which the member schools are required to follow (for "institutional participation"), and their enforcement mechanisms are limited... 

Major point.

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Yeah I know. It's just what Trish called it so I went along so things wouldn't get to confusing. They are rules put in place regardless of what the technical term that is used. 

In honor of (presumptively) the next member of the staff, been watching Hulls’ playoff game today. 2 things: 1) Hulls already looks like a coach. Before the tip he had his arm around a Ref and was in his ear about something. 2) 1 of Hulls teammates is former 15 year University of Wisconsin veteran Ethan Happ. 

3 minutes ago, Demo said:

In honor of (presumptively) the next member of the staff, been watching Hulls’ playoff game today. 2 things: 1) Hulls already looks like a coach. Before the tip he had his arm around a Ref and was in his ear about something. 2) 1 of Hulls teammates is former 15 year University of Wisconsin veteran Ethan Happ. 

Wisconsin always seems to have someone that's been there for around 15 years.  They also always seem have have a random scrub go for 30 against us.

58 minutes ago, Demo said:

1 more thing: Manresa has former UNC final 4 hero Luke Maye. For those who still think they don’t defend in the NBA, Maye was a 15/10 guy in the ACC and a key piece for a National Championship team who is now stuck on a mid-level ACB team with no chance to play in the League because he can’t defend at that level. 

Jordan Hulls is exactly the kind of person we all want around this program daily. I love this move. I remember reading about how tired he was of losing his first two years at IU. He started really holding the team accountable in the off season workouts. He was a huge part in IU having two extremely successful seasons in '12 and '13. IU hasn't had a lot of guys like this since he graduated.