Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Lol. Age and transfer portal change everything. Woodson isn’t a spry chicken. I watched every game of Crean’s first 3 seasons. If we hire another young up and comer, I’m giving him 2- 3 years too. But at this rate, after a few more rebuilds I’ll be in the nursing home……

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Woodson and then Fife.  Those are your next 20 years.  Take it or leave it.  Personally, most of us prefer you leave it rather than turn this place into another POS board like Rivals.

Woodson and then Fife.  Those are your next 20 years.  Take it or leave it.  Personally, most of us prefer you leave it rather than turn this place into another POS board like Rivals.

I’d be willing to bet it isn’t Woodson then Fife, and if it is, so help us all.

And by the second part, having a realistic dissenting opinion ruins this place for you, but the basketball results over the past 30 years doesn’t infuriate you? I trust my instincts, they’ve been right, most of my life. I always root for the Hoosiers, watch every game, and hope for the best for 30 years.

If we want to be what us fans want us to be, things need to change. I know that doesn’t mean, fire Woody, but he has to learn and change. What he thought would be a winner wasn’t. I hope he can identify and upgrade roster and end his career on a very high note.

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That’s fine. It’s the morale of the general fanbase. We’ve been beaten into submission. Zero swagger. Woodson has underperformed with this roster of hungry kids that really wanted to win. He didn’t get it done despite ample opportunities. 3 or 4 seasons left to catch lightning in that bottle. Then a rebuild…. I never understood the move from the beginning unless it’s a win now move.

You act like we are 8-22 and getting beat by 25 points every game.  We have been in every game in the second half but just don't have enough to finish the games off.  We should be like 23-8 and we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Luckily for guys like coach K and Dean Smith they didn't start their careers in today's instant gratification society.  They would have been fired after year 3 and would have never seen two of the greatest coaches of all time.

Calipari had a historically bad year last year and now are likely a 1 or 2 seed and a odds on final 4 contender. It can be done in a year. I don’t even expect top 5 stuff but top 15-20 at Indiana should be a reasonable expectation. What’s Kentucky have that Indiana doesn’t, besides a coach and an administration on the same page to produce a winner.

Pearl turned Auburn into a perennial.
Drew seems to have turned Baylor into one.
Other options out there that don’t have Indiana resources.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Calipari had a historically bad year last year and now are likely a 1 or 2 seed and a odds on final 4 contender. It can be done in a year. I don’t even expect top 5 stuff but top 15-20 at Indiana should be a reasonable expectation. What’s Kentucky have that Indiana doesn’t, besides a coach and an administration on the same page to produce a winner.

Pearl turned Auburn into a perennial.
Drew seems to have turned Baylor into one.
Other options out there that don’t have Indiana resources.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Bruce Pearl record after 3 years at Auburn was 44-54 so what was his problem those first 3 years.

You act like we are 8-22 and getting beat by 25 points every game.  We have been in every game in the second half but just don't have enough to finish the games off.  We should be like 23-8 and we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Luckily for guys like coach K and Dean Smith they didn't start their careers in today's instant gratification society.  They would have been fired after year 3 and would have never seen two of the greatest coaches of all time.

Again, it’s the age of our coach and the “instant gratification society” of recruits I’m worried about. I was willing to give Arch 3 years especially if building momentum (he wasn’t). Transfer portal helps many of these problems. You don’t hire a 63 yo with hopes he can win in year 3 or 4. At this point, we have to recruit against the negative recruiting that we can’t make the tournament with an NBA coach and an All American. Things won’t get easier.

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Again, it’s the age of our coach and the “instant gratification society” of recruits I’m worried about. I was willing to give Arch 3 years especially if building momentum (he wasn’t). Transfer portal helps many of these problems. You don’t hire a 63 yo with hopes he can win in year 3 or 4. At this point, we have to recruit against the negative recruiting that we can’t make the tournament with an NBA coach and an All American. Things won’t get easier.

I am saying that making coaching changes ever few years hasn't worked since we have had 6 coaches in 21 years.  We have 4 AD's and 4 presidents in that time.  Everybody that was around when RMK was fired is gone so I don't by the argument that the administration is hiding us back.  I think we have seen how fans being impatient and turning on coaches after a year or two hasn't solved the problem.  So why not get behind the program and be for the program instead of being against it.

Bruce Pearl record after 3 years at Auburn was 44-54 so what was his problem those first 3 years.

Several things. No transfer portal. Auburns history. Pearl coming off sanctions.

But he’s been at Auburn 8 seasons and he’s still 2 years younger than our guy just getting started in year 1 of college basketball.

26 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Personally, most of us prefer you leave it rather than turn this place into another POS board like Rivals.

This board, and those of us who have been here for a really long time, prides itself on not being like a Rivals board and a statement like this doesn’t uphold that standard, imo. 

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Several things. No transfer portal. Auburns history. Pearl coming off sanctions.

But he’s been at Auburn 8 seasons and he’s still 2 years younger than our guy just getting started in year 1 of college basketball.

You always had transfers.  Also like it or not our history is what it use to be and that is not on Woodson.  I hear people say we need to forget the past and move on from it   So if we are just going by the near past and present why is the expectations for IU so high.  It is because of the past and not what IU is today.

You always had transfers.  Also like it or not our history is what it use to be and that is not on Woodson.  I hear people say we need to forget the past and move on from it   So if we are just going by the near past and present why is the expectations for IU so high.  It is because of the past and not what IU is today.

Past transfer rules vs open market transfers aren’t comparable when it comes to instant results. I also added Pearl’s ambiguity from sanctions probably played a big part. And when I say history I mean it to encompass, fanbase, TV games, expectations, Draft picks, budget, facilities, etc, etc.. Comparing Auburn basketball 10 years ago to Indiana basketball.

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Past transfer rules vs open market transfers aren’t comparable when it comes to instant results. I also added Pearl’s ambiguity from sanctions probably played a big part. And when I say history I mean it to encompass, fanbase, TV games, expectations, Draft picks, budget, facilities, etc, etc.. Comparing Auburn basketball 10 years ago to Indiana basketball.

Also the SEC has always been dirty which gave them some advantage.  That is the one thing the big ten and IU could hold over SEC and UK is that we didn't have to have bag men to win.

Don't tell me that RMK cheated because with how much the Indy media hated RMK they would have found out.  They would have dugged into if there was any rumors of guys getting paid 

57 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

If you don’t like the post? Say so.

Do not attack the poster. Period.

We now return to our regularly scheduled argument.    ;)

Cracks me up when people come on here and say the administration is trying to keep IU from having a great basketball program.  I am pretty sure IU had the largest recruiting budget on the big ten.  We put Millions of dollars into upgrading the arena and facilities like the practice facility and locker rooms. We pay our coach in the top 10 in the country.  If what was reported we offered to make Brad Stevens the highest paid coach in college sports.

There are recruiting budgets and then there are recruiting “budgets” with creative funding

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

CMW is 12 years younger than K and 14 years younger than Boheim. His age shouldn't be a problem as he could have a decade here.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Transfer portal can also be a huge negative. CTC is likely going to be fired because of what he lost to the portal.

9 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

CMW is 12 years younger than K and 14 years younger than Boheim. His age shouldn't be a problem as he could have a decade here.

Boheim should have retired a while ago but wanted to coach his sons. He’s had a couple of nice tournament runs recently but he hasn’t finished higher than T-6th in his conference since 2014. And Woody won’t have Nike shoveling him recruits like Coach K did. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Boheim should have retired a while ago but wanted to coach his sons. He’s had a couple of nice tournament runs recently but he hasn’t finished higher than T-6th in his conference since 2014. And Woody won’t have Nike shoveling him recruits like Coach K did. 

Maybe not but any issues won't be because he is too old.

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Very true. People keep saying we can make up a lot of deficiencies in the portal, while true, we could also be on the wrong side of the portal and lose our guys we wanted to return.

that’s why I’ve been upset seeing Kopp and Stewart getting so many minutes knowing they aren’t the future and we have younger players like Geronimo that are every bit as good getting scraps.