Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Love this story. Fandom aside, Woody is just objectively great. He may not get every kid he wants, but he’s never gonna miss on one because they don’t want to play for him. Guarantee it. 

Don’t think this has been mentioned but Brendan Quinn of The Athletic said on the 10/18 edition of The Moving Screen podcast that Fife had coached the MSU offense in recent years. He indicated — as will surprise no one — that it’s really Izzo’s offense, and Fife was charged with implementing it. (This was in the context of a discussion of how much that would impact MSU this year.)

Izzo’s offense, yes, but I’d have to think Fife learned quite a bit in his time with that responsibility. MSU’s offense has been typically excellent during the time Fife was there, and taken many forms: post-heavy, egalitarian, star-centric, ballscreen/PG-dominant, etc.

Fife was on AJ's podcast recently and stated that Woody has already taught him (and the team) so much about the "game". Assuming that's true, I think we could be pleasantly surprised by the results this year. We beat a semi-pro team twice that was bigger, stronger, and known for its 3 pt shooting. We didn't shut them down, but there were very few uncontested shots.

I've heard multiple players and coaches talk about team scrimmages, and how the 2nd unit beat the first on more than one occasion. To me that indicates we're REALLY deep, with little, if any fall off in talent and skill.

I also believe Woody will not hesitate to substitute whenever necessary to get the most productive team on the floor. Unlike what we had to endure for the past several years of the exact same starting line ups, and wholesale subs at the 16:00 minute time out, no matter if a player was red hot, he was coming out. I even remember throwing things at the TV when Crean did the same thing. A guy got hot, and Crean yanked him. I doubt if we'll see that kind of rotation under Woody.

Wouldn't be surprised to see several different starting lineups, depending on the opponents either, instead of the same ol'-same ol' lineup every game. It was obvious to most of us that a kid had earned his Candy Stripes in the previous game, only to be relegated to the bench. Tough to stay motivated like that.

Every player I've heard has said the same thing..."you have to earn your minutes".

Man...I'm getting pumped to see what these guys are capable of.  Go Hoosiers!

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Fife was on AJ's podcast recently and stated that Woody has already taught him (and the team) so much about the "game". Assuming that's true, I think we could be pleasantly surprised by the results this year. We beat a semi-pro team twice that was bigger, stronger, and known for its 3 pt shooting. We didn't shut them down, but there were very few uncontested shots.

I've heard multiple players and coaches talk about team scrimmages, and how the 2nd unit beat the first on more than one occasion. To me that indicates we're REALLY deep, with little, if any fall off in talent and skill.

I also believe Woody will not hesitate to substitute whenever necessary to get the most productive team on the floor. Unlike what we had to endure for the past several years of the exact same starting line ups, and wholesale subs at the 16:00 minute time out, no matter if a player was red hot, he was coming out. I even remember throwing things at the TV when Crean did the same thing. A guy got hot, and Crean yanked him. I doubt if we'll see that kind of rotation under Woody.

Wouldn't be surprised to see several different starting lineups, depending on the opponents either, instead of the same ol'-same ol' lineup every game. It was obvious to most of us that a kid had earned his Candy Stripes in the previous game, only to be relegated to the bench. Tough to stay motivated like that.

Every player I've heard has said the same thing..."you have to earn your minutes".

Man...I'm getting pumped to see what these guys are capable of.  Go Hoosiers!

D85AC842-D21A-4CAE-884D-DD03569090B9.gif

So, how's that Woody experiment working out for y'all?

I stand by my earlier statements that Woodson was a crap coach in the NBA, and he's holding true to form in college. The Ohio State game showed me all I need to know...

No imagination on offense, incredibly low BB IQ on this team, and Woody has not corrected any of this. 

Is that College Commissioners Tournament still a thing? Probably won't even make that one.

Flame on, but I am done with this team.

47 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

So, how's that Woody experiment working out for y'all?

I stand by my earlier statements that Woodson was a crap coach in the NBA, and he's holding true to form in college. The Ohio State game showed me all I need to know...

No imagination on offense, incredibly low BB IQ on this team, and Woody has not corrected any of this. 

Is that College Commissioners Tournament still a thing? Probably won't even make that one.

Flame on, but I am done with this team.

Bye lol

I can empathize with  @AZ Hoosier and the replies he's gotten.  I was the leader of the "Please don't hire Archie Miller, He's a disaster" group.  For 4 years after the bum was hired I preached how much garbage he was.  For 4 years I got a lot of hate for being on that wagon.

Now he's on the same wagon for a different coach.  Will he be right too?  Who knows.  Man I hope not.  

But some of us need to look in the mirror and reflect.  Did you bash me for my Archie take?  Did you dismiss me as "just negative"?  Or "elementary"?  Or any of the other things I was told?  Because if so, you were 100% wrong.  Maybe learn a lesson here 

I do find it strange that this rant came during daylight hours when mine usually came after many beers and yet another loss.  But maybe he has different vices lol.

I'm still optimistic that our run starts tonight.  Get ready, this will be fun.  But let's not gang up on him for his take.

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

I can empathize with  @AZ Hoosier and the replies he's gotten.  I was the leader of the "Please don't hire Archie Miller, He's a disaster" group.  For 4 years after the bum was hired I preached how much garbage he was.  For 4 years I got a lot of hate for being on that wagon.

Now he's on the same wagon for a different coach.  Will he be right too?  Who knows.  Man I hope not.  

But some of us need to look in the mirror and reflect.  Did you bash me for my Archie take?  Did you dismiss me as "just negative"?  Or "elementary"?  Or any of the other things I was told?  Because if so, you were 100% wrong.  Maybe learn a lesson here 

I do find it strange that this rant came during daylight hours when mine usually came after many beers and yet another loss.  But maybe he has different vices lol.

I'm still optimistic that our run starts tonight.  Get ready, this will be fun.  But let's not gang up on him for his take.

I understand your point, but I think it was mostly taken as a troll attempt which is what most of the responses were for. 

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

I understand your point, but I think it was mostly taken as a troll attempt which is what most of the responses were for. 

Mine were too.  This is my point.  

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Mine were too.  This is my point.  

Then nobody has a right to get upset with the response they receive when they are trolling. Pretty simple.

we can all see the program for what it is 

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

Then nobody has a right to get upset with the response they receive when they are trolling. Pretty simple.

we can all see the program for what it is 

I mean, mine were taken as trolling when in reality they were correct.  Not trolling.  They were called many things to make the sunshine pumpers feel better about their opinion.  This board has a very Sunshine Pumper herd mentality.

Now I'm on the other side trying to pump that sunshine, but I can empathize with anybody who gets called a troll for his opinion.

I hope we don't do this again.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

I mean, mine were taken as trolling when in reality they were correct.  Not trolling.  They were called many things to make the sunshine pumpers feel better about their opinion.  This board has a very Sunshine Pumper herd mentality.

Now I'm on the other side trying to pump that sunshine, but I can empathize with anybody who gets called a troll for his opinion.

I hope we don't do this again.

None of the responses took issue with his opinion that woody isn’t the guy? 

We all just took shots because he quit as a fan. Which is just funny