Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

IUBB 2021 General Off-Season Thread

The annual posters used to be "free." If you ordered by mail, you just had to pay a shipping fee. Now, they're $3 -- with the money going to the players. Not a big deal at all. Just found it interesting.

Welcome to NIL. 

[/url]  

Good idea! I like it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Anthony-Leal-Trey-Galloway-Indiana-IUBB-IU-Hoosiers-Hoosier-Big-Ten-Basketball-Homegrown-Hysteria-Win-Media-Day-172415248/

Nice article. Nothing new, really, just additional validation that these are just really high caliber kids who get it. 

Bozich predicts IU with an 8th place finish, behind Rutgers. Too often, these sportswriters are basing their forecasts on last season's performance or the coaching irrespective of talent. The sportswriters pick Illinois for 3rd in the conference, which seems high even if Kofi Cockburn becomes the player of the year. Michigan & Purdue at the top seems right. Maryland at 5th could be high, too early to tell. Like IU, they have transfers who could be quite good. Michigan State gets 6th place just because of Tom Izzo. They have lost a lot and will start out slow. Whether the Spartans end up strong as is usually the case remains to be seen. I can see IU finishing as high as 4th but would be surprised and very disappointed by an 8th place finish.

5 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Bozich predicts IU with an 8th place finish, behind Rutgers. Too often, these sportswriters are basing their forecasts on last season's performance or the coaching irrespective of talent. The sportswriters pick Illinois for 3rd in the conference, which seems high even if Kofi Cockburn becomes the player of the year. Michigan & Purdue at the top seems right. Maryland at 5th could be high, too early to tell. Like IU, they have transfers who could be quite good. Michigan State gets 6th place just because of Tom Izzo. They have lost a lot and will start out slow. Whether the Spartans end up strong as is usually the case remains to be seen. I can see IU finishing as high as 4th but would be surprised and very disappointed by an 8th place finish.

Seventh or eighth for IU seems completely fair to me. We were tied for 10th/11th but gained some roster strength and a question mark at coach (though most all are confident it will be an improvement). We are a bit of a wild card, and I can see why the sane projections have more known quantities ahead of us:

• Maryland was better than us last year and gained two big-time players.
  • Illinois was second last year and returns three or four starters, including their best player. 
  • Rutgers was tied for 6th/7th last year and returns about seven rotation players, including their two best players.
  • I can see how MSU is Izzo-overrated, but I don't see why Rutgers in consistently projected so low.

One more thing: Wisconsin was 10-10 in conference last year and lost quite literally every big with a pulse on their team. If they finish ahead of Nebraska and Northwestern I will be more than a little surprised. On the frontWisconsin will be starting Tyler Wahl (5.2 ppg/4.3 rpg as a soph), Ben Carlson (2.9 ppg/0.9 rpg in seven appearances as a freshman) and Chris Vogt (5.0 ppg/3.5 rpg as a Cincinnati senior), and have a three star freshman and a 0.7 ppg/0.8 rpg sophomore backing them up. Yikes!

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Seventh or eighth for IU seems completely fair to me. We were tied for 10th/11th but gained some roster strength and a question mark at coach (though most all are confident it will be an improvement). We are a bit of a wild card, and I can see why the sane projections have more known quantities ahead of us:

• Maryland was better than us last year and gained two big-time players.
  • Illinois was second last year and returns three or four starters, including their best player. 
  • Rutgers was tied for 6th/7th last year and returns about seven rotation players, including their two best players.
  • I can see how MSU is Izzo-overrated, but I don't see why Rutgers in consistently projected so low.

One more thing: Wisconsin was 10-10 in conference last year and lost quite literally every big with a pulse on their team. If they finish ahead of Nebraska and Northwestern I will be more than a little surprised. On the frontWisconsin will be starting Tyler Wahl (5.2 ppg/4.3 rpg as a soph), Ben Carlson (2.9 ppg/0.9 rpg in seven appearances as a freshman) and Chris Vogt (5.0 ppg/3.5 rpg as a Cincinnati senior), and have a three star freshman and a 0.7 ppg/0.8 rpg sophomore backing them up. Yikes!

Maryland also lost two key players on Wiggins and Morsel.  Last year when Morsel was out of the lineup Maryland didn't do well.  UI lost theirost important player in Dyo and lost Miller and Gorgi. Rutgers lost Johnson and Young ad well.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maryland also lost two key players on Wiggins and Morsel.  Last year when Morsel was out of the lineup Maryland didn't do well.  UI lost theirost important player in Dyo and lost Miller and Gorgi. Rutgers lost Johnson and Young ad well.

All true. Every team save for Purdue lost rotation pieces. IU lost their two best guards in Franklin and Durham. It appears that we replaced them and hopefully then some.

So while Maryland lost two key pieces, Fatts Russell and Wahab are big additions for a Maryland team that was pretty decent last year. 

Illinois lost Ayo, Georghi wasn't that good and Miller was a very inefficient freshman. Even with those subtractions a core of Kofi, Curbelo, Frazier, and Williams is pretty high end.

Rutgers? They lost two good rotation pieces, but they have so much returning; Baker, Harper, Mulcahy, OConnell, Omaruyi, etc. And that's from a team that was plain old better than IU last year. 

Wisconsin and Iowa seem to be the two teams that lost players which won't be possible to replace.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

All true. Every team save for Purdue lost rotation pieces. IU lost their two best guards in Franklin and Durham. It appears that we replaced them and hopefully then some.

So while Maryland lost two key pieces, Fatts Russell and Wahab are big additions for a Maryland team that was pretty decent last year. 

Illinois lost Ayo, Georghi wasn't that good and Miller was a very inefficient freshman. Even with those subtractions a core of Kofi, Curbelo, Frazier, and Williams is pretty high end.

Rutgers? They lost two good rotation pieces, but they have so much returning; Baker, Harper, Mulcahy, OConnell, Omaruyi, etc. And that's from a team that was plain old better than IU last year. 

Wisconsin and Iowa seem to be the two teams that lost players which won't be possible to replace.

Russell was one of the best guards in the B1G the moment he got to College Park. He’s really fun to watch. 

8 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Russell was one of the best guards in the B1G the moment he got to College Park. He’s really fun to watch. 

And at 6'11", 240, Wahab averaged 12.7 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game at GTown last year. That's comparable to Myles Johnson, but with more scoring and more upside.