Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

IUBB 2021 General Off-Season Thread

Right now I feel these will be the two best lineups for IU

Option 1

Johnson/Bates/Stewart/Kopp/TJD

Option 2

Johnson/Stewart or Bates/Kopp/Geronimo/TJD

This is based on the current roster as we speak. I'm not taking into account major improvement (ex: Race's shooting ability or Lander overall as a player) It's obvious they will add another player who could potentially play a lot. I'm trying not to think of a "starting lineup" but more so of rotations that work. I think we may see different lineups from game to game (which is good IMO).

I really like our incoming freshmen, especially Bates, but I am not putting any stock in them contributing right away.

If this team succeeds, it will be because of the more experienced additions - Kopp, XJ, and Parker Stewart - to complement TJD. I expect Race to have a good year as well. That means we need another guy to step up and have a good year - Lander, Geronimo, Rob P most likely?

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really like our incoming freshmen, especially Bates, but I am not putting any stock in them contributing right away.

If this team succeeds, it will be because of the more experienced additions - Kopp, XJ, and Parker Stewart - to complement TJD. I expect Race to have a good year as well. That means we need another guy to step up and have a good year - Lander, Geronimo, Rob P most likely?

The last two college shooting guards to come from IMG averaged around 10 points a game as freshman. Before that Eric Ayala came from IMG and averaged around 8 pts a game for Maryland as a freshman. I've seen a scouting report that compares Bates to former Illinois guard Adam Miller (who transferred to LSU) and Miller averaged around 8 points per game as a freshman. So it's reasonable to assume that Bates, who ranks above a couple of the players mentioned, should be as productive as some of these other comparisons. 

6 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

The last two college shooting guards to come from IMG averaged around 10 points a game as freshman. Before that Eric Ayala came from IMG and averaged around 8 pts a game for Maryland as a freshman. I've seen a scouting report that compares Bates to former Illinois guard Adam Miller (who transferred to LSU) and Miller averaged around 8 points per game as a freshman. So it's reasonable to assume that Bates, who ranks above a couple of the players mentioned, should be as productive as some of these other comparisons. 

If we are getting Adam Miller, but with a great attitude, work ethic, and leadership qualities, we are getting a helluva player, and a player that will be significantly more valuable than Adam Miller. And Miller was a pretty good B1G freshman.

20 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

I’d be really surprised if you aren’t right. Bates walks in ready to play. The thing with the elite basketball factories, and some people hate it, but it’s true, is that those kids are as a rule just flat out better prepared for the college game than kids from even really good HS programs. They play and practice against big time competition every day. Bates spent the last year practicing against Jalen Duren and Jaden Bradley. Those guys are pros. They will embarrass you if you don’t bring it ever day. They’re used to every game being big. They’re used to the travel. No disrespect directed to Duncomb at all, but his path cannot have prepared him the way Bates’ path has, even at a program as good as Moeller.

57 minutes ago, Demo said:

Interesting little nugget in here. Duncomb has a 7’2’ wingspan and a 9’1” standing reach. So, he’s a  +4 or +5 kid. That’s exceptional. 

And he’s a good kid with a + motor.

He’s going to be a rotation piece at a minimum.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:16 AM, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Figured I'd share since this is awesome and it doesn't look like a lot has been going on as of late.  Got my early father's day gift the other day from the wifey.

A.J. Moye wishing me happy father's day

That's awesome Paulie, what a great father's day gift

On 6/18/2021 at 11:59 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In the clip, Duncomb's fingers are above the 9' mark and his wingspan is about 7'2"

On 6/20/2021 at 12:17 PM, Demo said:

Interesting little nugget in here. Duncomb has a 7’2’ wingspan and a 9’1” standing reach. So, he’s a  +4 or +5 kid. That’s exceptional. 

Old fart posted this and got zero "likes".  A few days later Demo posted it and got 6.  Who'd you pis off Old Fart?

14 minutes ago, tomallenfan1 said:

Some notes from practice from a friend who was able to be present for a couple of them:

1: Practices are much faster than with Archie. Don’t think that was very hard to do. It’s an all-out run for much of scrimmage. NBA-style.

2. Woodson is bodying up players and shooting during practice. Archie very rarely did this. Crean never did.

3. Woodson talks in third person even in practice.

4. Coaches have a much looser relationship with players. Cursing the same amount… but laughing about it together after. He demands attention from players much more than Archie did.

5. Miller Kopp is “Zach McRoberts who can actually shoot very well”.

6. Tamar Bates may not be as ready as early as some hope. Still early though with time to grow.

7. End of bench looks to be Leal, Galloway, Duncomb right now.

8. Xavier Johnson is THAT dude. Impressive and determined.

That’s all I got although I’m sitting on a bit of info that I’m not able to share yet regarding staffing. Would be insanely cool if it came to fruition.

1. Great news. I think will translate to faster play during games. It's not surprising Millers practices were slow.

4. Better coach/player relationships could certainly help both during games and for recruiting.

5. Sounds about right.

6. It's always a question how quickly a player will adapt to college play. He's been on campus for less than a month, though.

7. That's expected.

8. His PER at Pitt would've been borderline 1st team all-B1G. So he's a stud that will help.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by staffing? Do you mean a potential addition to the staff?

Some notes from practice from a friend who was able to be present for a couple of them:

1: Practices are much faster than with Archie. Don’t think that was very hard to do. It’s an all-out run for much of scrimmage. NBA-style.

2. Woodson is bodying up players and shooting during practice. Archie very rarely did this. Crean never did.

3. Woodson talks in third person even in practice.

4. Coaches have a much looser relationship with players. Cursing the same amount… but laughing about it together after. He demands attention from players much more than Archie did.

5. Miller Kopp is “Zach McRoberts who can actually shoot very well”.

6. Tamar Bates may not be as ready as early as some hope. Still early though with time to grow.

7. End of bench looks to be Leal, Galloway, Duncomb right now.

8. Xavier Johnson is THAT dude. Impressive and determined.

That’s all I got although I’m sitting on a bit of info that I’m not able to share yet regarding staffing. Would be insanely cool if it came to fruition.

Great stuff.

The end of the bench is as I’d expect. Galloway started a bunch of games last year. I like a lot about him, but at his size he’s going to need to be able to shoot the ball. Hearing X is ready is excellent. We know TJD, Race, X, Kopp can be parts of a good team. We need 2 or 3 guys to breakout. Lander, Rob, Durr, Tamar, Stewart, Geronimo. If that happens we can be good.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app