Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Southside

Woodson's scheme(s)??

On 4/9/2021 at 10:47 AM, Southside said:

With Parker and Johnson coming in, one would hope that we improve shooting in general, but also will have a lot of penetration opportunities if they are playing the wings. If Race is playing the 4, that would worry me a bit cause it seems like the opposing D could sag and clog the lanes though. 

Race actually has a decent shot.

I agree with Trish that he could be a step out and shoot guy. His defense and rebounding is crucial for us and he needs to be on the floor.

I have no idea what happened to this teams confidence but they played timid and as if they second guessed every move they made..

Hopefully Woody will take the chains off and let them run a bit and play through mistakes. 

Why don’t we ever consider Leal when we talk about shooting guards that can hit the three? Is it just because he’s probably still a year or two off? I know he was only 31% last year but a lot of that probably relates to the general offensive struggle under Archie and limited run. He’s 6’5 210 and has the body to put on much more, showed he can knock them down all through HS and the few games he played significant minutes. Is it just that he projects out to Jr/Sr production and isn’t talented enough to be that option on a good team yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/9/2021 at 9:57 AM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yes TJD will be the primary 1 guy in. 

the 41 offense gives you the option to run PNR or PNP from the big which is what Archie liked to do (granted with terrible spacing).  

from the 41,  It’s a basic offense. Off that you can screen away and create movement/cutting. Give and goes are easy to run. Back cuts from corner with the action up top.  

most teams run stuff on ball for primary ball handler. Also the 1, can post up and get 1 on 1 action if spacing is right. Collapses lead to open 3 point shots. 

defense- he’s going to play M2M primarily and wants to switch a lot. Him not having coached college could make him more experimental on D but I think we will see basic NBA principles here.

If anyone wants to get an idea of what our offense will look like at the collegiate level, go to YouTube and watch Villanova play. Same system. 

3 hours ago, JimmerNoe said:

Why don’t we ever consider Leal when we talk about shooting guards that can hit the three? Is it just because he’s probably still a year or two off? I know he was only 31% last year but a lot of that probably relates to the general offensive struggle under Archie and limited run. He’s 6’5 210 and has the body to put on much more, showed he can knock them down all through HS and the few games he played significant minutes. Is it just that he projects out to Jr/Sr production and isn’t talented enough to be that option on a good team yet?

It’s a good point.

He wasn’t ready last year, but supposedly he’s a very hard worker. Maybe he gets there sooner than we expect.

Needs lots of work on his handle IMO.

It’s a good point.
He wasn’t ready last year, but supposedly he’s a very hard worker. Maybe he gets there sooner than we expect.
Needs lots of work on his handle IMO.

Definitely work on the handle. I definitely think there’s an opportunity for him to take a big jump in production. Against Maryland and a few others, I believe, he guarded really well in short spurts.
If he can catch and shoot/1 dribble off close out and play solid D, seems like a good fit for Woody’s system!

Mindless ramblings on a rainy Sunday afternoon waiting for Masters coverage to start.

By all accounts, Galloway, Geronimo and Leal were hard workers yet all struggled mightily.  Were they thrown into the fire too quickly?   Were they that poorly coached/developed by Archie -- keeping in mind Roberts and Hunter were assistant coaches?  Lander was clearly not ready to make the jump he did so I'll give him a pass for the time being.

Galloway, Leal and Phinisee never entered the portal so unless blatantly axed by Woody, they were coming back.  Everyone else that entered the portal Woody clearly busted his butt to get them to stay and they all did sans Armaan (I'm ignoring Durham).  This is a group that was an absolute disappointment last year and we have no idea what, if any, positives Johnson and Stewart will bring when they toss the ball up next fall.  And we don't yet know for certain that Brunk will return and even if he does we have no idea of how effective he will be.  Does Woody really see the potential with this team and that by the time the season starts we'll see a far more competitive product on the floor?  Did he not want to see a mass exodus because 1) be that much harder to fill out a '21-'22 roster as a new and inexperienced college head coach; 2)  bad PR out of the gate if TJD, Lander and Armaan (all Indiana kids) left with an IU legend now as head coach.

I'm in no way qualified to judge talent other than if it passes my eye test so to those of you that have the ability to judge talent, is the makeup of the roster as we know it today going to meet Woody's objectives and put a product on the court that will be a pleasure to watch?

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Mindless ramblings on a rainy Sunday afternoon waiting for Masters coverage to start.

By all accounts, Galloway, Geronimo and Leal were hard workers yet all struggled mightily.  Were they thrown into the fire too quickly?   Were they that poorly coached/developed by Archie -- keeping in mind Roberts and Hunter were assistant coaches?  Lander was clearly not ready to make the jump he did so I'll give him a pass for the time being.

Galloway, Leal and Phinisee never entered the portal so unless blatantly axed by Woody, they were coming back.  Everyone else that entered the portal Woody clearly busted his butt to get them to stay and they all did sans Armaan (I'm ignoring Durham).  This is a group that was an absolute disappointment last year and we have no idea what, if any, positives Johnson and Stewart will bring when they toss the ball up next fall.  And we don't yet know for certain that Brunk will return and even if he does we have no idea of how effective he will be.  Does Woody really see the potential with this team and that by the time the season starts we'll see a far more competitive product on the floor?  Did he not want to see a mass exodus because 1) be that much harder to fill out a '21-'22 roster as a new and inexperienced college head coach; 2)  bad PR out of the gate if TJD, Lander and Armaan (all Indiana kids) left with an IU legend now as head coach.

I'm in no way qualified to judge talent other than if it passes my eye test so to those of you that have the ability to judge talent, is the makeup of the roster as we know it today going to meet Woody's objectives and put a product on the court that will be a pleasure to watch?

I’d agree.  I always wanted more talent but firmly believe we had more than enough talent.  Virtually all of our roster are guys that either outplayed their ranking or had 4 or 5 stars next to their names at one point. We’ve got the talent. 

We need to develop shooting and in some people develop decision making in a few others.  

I am hopeful that beyond schemes the staff can get guys like Hunter and Phin to play more consistently and energetically. I have seen several suggest Hunter as an obvious starter next year but to do so he has to turn up his motor and be more consistent. Phin has potential as well and if the staff can get more out of the current team that the previous staff did that will be huge. 

Recruiting, Development, X and Os, and being able to get kids to play hard are all areas I am hopeful we see big improvements.  

Last season only TJD starts for any of the top tier Big 1.0 teams. Armaan might have started for a few. The rest of the starters would have only seen spot minutes. HOPEFULLY, we see improvements throughout the roster but I believe to truly compete for Big 1.0 titles we’ll need to see talent upgrades at many positions over the next few seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 4/11/2021 at 9:26 AM, Woodson1980 said:

Race actually has a decent shot.

I agree with Trish that he could be a step out and shoot guy. His defense and rebounding is crucial for us and he needs to be on the floor.

I have no idea what happened to this teams confidence but they played timid and as if they second guessed every move they made..

Hopefully Woody will take the chains off and let them run a bit and play through mistakes. 

Hope you guys are right on Race. Just looking at his FT and 3 %, he's got work to do. He's a hard worker, so I don't doubt he could take a step forward. I also think it's possible a change in coaching and scheme will give him (and most) a boost.

On 4/11/2021 at 9:30 AM, JimmerNoe said:

I absolutely think Leal will be in the rotation at wing. Assuming Lander and Phin are manning the 1, Johnson and Parker are probably the starters at the wings, but Leal and Galloway will get plenty of time. 

I hope, and think he will, build a style of play that fits the talent on hand rather than the other way around. 'System' coaches really worry me. It almost always ends up being 'pound a square peg into a round hole' kind of thing. And, I can't wait three years for the team to be able to play defense.

On 4/11/2021 at 9:30 AM, JimmerNoe said:

I think Leal is much better than Archie thought he was. I specifically watched him in every game he played, and he displayed more grit and hustle than anybody except Galloway. With his severely limited minutes last year, there's good reason that he didn't develop enough in many people's eyes. Personally, I would have played him over Durham and Hunter. He played better defense than both of those guys IMO, and if Archie hadn't put handcuffs on him, he would have shot a lot more. Hopefully Woody will see the talent he has and encourage it.

On 4/11/2021 at 8:30 AM, JimmerNoe said:

Leal is an excellent shooter. Expect him to do a lot better as a soph in Woodson’s offensive sets 

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Leal is an excellent shooter. Expect him to do a lot better as a soph in Woodson’s offensive sets 

Some coaches see a player for who he is, others see a player for who he can be. I think CMW is the latter.