Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Early Big Ten Projections (2021-2022)

I picked every game. I don’t think Purdue is really head-and-shoulders above everyone this year but I think they have a unique mix of experience and skill that makes them formidable in conference this year. I also think this would be near the high end of IU’s range…they could win more games than the ones I picked but I’d expect 11 or 12 wins as much or more than 13.

1. Purdue 18-2

2. Michigan 15-5

3. Maryland 14-6

t-4th. MSU and IU 13-7

t-6th. OSU, Rutgers, Illinois 12-8

9. Northwestern 7-13

t-10th. Nebraska and UW 6-14

12. Iowa 5-15

13. Minnesota 4-16

14. PSU 3-17

https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/26/big-ten-basketball-preview-michigan-illinois-purdue

Si projection for the BIG. IU is picked as a darkhorse team and 5th overall. The analysis is pretty agreeable: 

"Perhaps no team in the league has a wider range of potential outcomes than the Hoosiers. If things go right, IU has one of the premier players in the sport in Trayce Jackson-Davis and can surround him with a combination of experienced returners and transfers. On the other hand, Indiana has a coach that has never won a college basketball game and is new to managing 18- to 22-year-olds. The Hoosiers could finish in the top three of the conference or the bottom five, and neither outcome would stun me."

54 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/26/big-ten-basketball-preview-michigan-illinois-purdue

Si projection for the BIG. IU is picked as a darkhorse team and 5th overall. The analysis is pretty agreeable: 

"Perhaps no team in the league has a wider range of potential outcomes than the Hoosiers. If things go right, IU has one of the premier players in the sport in Trayce Jackson-Davis and can surround him with a combination of experienced returners and transfers. On the other hand, Indiana has a coach that has never won a college basketball game and is new to managing 18- to 22-year-olds. The Hoosiers could finish in the top three of the conference or the bottom five, and neither outcome would stun me."

I can't see this team (barring key injuries) finishing in the bottom 5, but it's definitely accurate to say we have a wide range of possibilities and things are fairly unknown right now.

I guess the flip side is that Woody is undefeated as a college coach

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I guess the flip side is that Woody is undefeated as a college coach

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

and he's not new to managing 18-22 year olds, he coached/managed plenty in the NBA (4-5/yr in ATL and 1-2/yr in NYK as a head coach), just as many or more as an assistant.

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I can't see this team (barring key injuries) finishing in the bottom 5, but it's definitely accurate to say we have a wide range of possibilities and things are fairly unknown right now.

I wouldn’t say that. They have finished in the bottom 5 the last 3 years. 

do I think they will? No. But would I say I couldn’t see it? Also no. 

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It seems like a fair assessment of the program and the questions around it. I don't think many, if any, on this site expect them to finish that low but I also don't think many would be surprised if they did. Disappointed and upset, for sure, but not surprised after the last few years.

He pretty well summed up how I, and likely others, regard this team. Potential to be good or even very good but it could easily go the other way.

13 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

It seems like a fair assessment of the program and the questions around it. I don't think many, if any, on this site expect them to finish that low but I also don't think many would be surprised if they did. Disappointed and upset, for sure, but not surprised after the last few years.

He pretty well summed up how I, and likely others, regard this team. Potential to be good or even very good but it could easily go the other way.

I don't think it's an unfair assessment, that's not the same as my saying I can't see this team finishing in the bottom 5. And I can't.

I would be really surprised if we finish in the bottom 5 -- this is clearly not the same team as last season, with the transfers, and it's coached by a very different (in my view, exceptionally better) coach, with an exceptional, new and experienced staff.

Do we know where the team will finish? Of course not. But yeah, I can't see them finishing in the bottom 5. That would be more than a disappointment, it would be a real failure, with this team, and this coaching staff.

On 10/27/2021 at 3:38 PM, cybergates said:

and he's not new to managing 18-22 year olds, he coached/managed plenty in the NBA (4-5/yr in ATL and 1-2/yr in NYK as a head coach), just as many or more as an assistant.

yep and his 1st team had 2 starters 21 and 19.

7 MORE DAYS.

I love getting to watch all the big ten teams play early and seeing how accurate/inaccurate the offseason narratives have been. I can't wait. With that said, one week out and my Power Rankings are as such....

1. Purdue

2. Michigan

3. Ohio State

4. Illinois

5. Indiana

6. Michigan State

7. Maryland

8. Rutgers

9. Nebraska

10. Wisconsin

11. Iowa

12. Northwestern

13. Penn State

14. Minnesota

Could see Nebraska being ahead of a few more teams, but want to see it on the court. I am a big believer in that roster and think that it will cause problems for a lot of big ten teams. Could see Northwestern jumping ahead of Iowa and Wisconsin, but also its northwestern. And Indiana will finish in the top 5. Believe.

6 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

7 MORE DAYS.

I love getting to watch all the big ten teams play early and seeing how accurate/inaccurate the offseason narratives have been. I can't wait. With that said, one week out and my Power Rankings are as such....

1. Purdue

2. Michigan

3. Ohio State

4. Illinois

5. Indiana

6. Michigan State

7. Maryland

8. Rutgers

9. Nebraska

10. Wisconsin

11. Iowa

12. Northwestern

13. Penn State

14. Minnesota

Could see Nebraska being ahead of a few more teams, but want to see it on the court. I am a big believer in that roster and think that it will cause problems for a lot of big ten teams. Could see Northwestern jumping ahead of Iowa and Wisconsin, but also its northwestern. And Indiana will finish in the top 5. Believe.

All stand and recognize Greg Gard in his final year as Wisconsin's Coach, as Bucky Badger finishes in the bottom three or four of the conference.

Huzzah!

I think we have a good shot at winning it, but realistically I see:

1. Michigan  2. PU    3. IU    4. OSU   5. Maryland    6. MSU    7. Illinois  8. Rutgers (top 8 will get NCAA bids IMO).

9. Iowa  10. Nebraska   11. Wisconsin   12. NW    13. Minnesota    14. PSU

With Ayo gone, I just don't see Illinois as the dazzling team a lot of people are predicting. I mentioned on YouTube I expected the Illini to compete against MSU for sixth place in the B1G and was told, "You're insane." We'll see. I've been called that before and it's never stuck.