Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Early Big Ten Projections (2021-2022)

Obviously there is still a lot of fluctuation in rosters and this topic will be updated all the way until the start of the season, but I figured I would get it going now and pin Bart Torvik's projections. His projections are great because they update daily with the changes in rosters (transfers and NBA Departures).

As of right now he has

1. Purdue (6)

2. Michigan (8)

3. Maryland (10)

4. Michigan State (11)

5. Indiana (18)

6. Illinois (20)

7. Ohio State (24)

8. Northwestern (33)

9. Nebraska (48)

10. Wisconsin (71)

11. Iowa (88)

12. Rutgers (108)

13. Minnesota (132)

14. Penn State (142)

Ohio State at 7 surprises me the most but apparently Kyle Young and CJ Walker were big losses. Illinois at 6 includes Kofi so that could change drastically if he leaves for the NBA. At first glance the bottom half of the Big ten will be nowhere near the level it was this year. 

https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=B10&state=All&year=2022&sort=

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Wiscy will be better than 10th because the Big 1.0 will make sure they finish higher!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah they will probably finish top half. It feels like Greg Gard has a terrible year when his teams have high expectations and then has good years when his teams are supposed to stink. 

Next year they should stink, so I would guess they will outplay their expectations. 

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Is the number in parentheses where he projects us to be ranked nationally?  18th in the nation?  That would be fantastic in Woody's first season

yes it is. 

It is still very fluid as rosters change each day due to transfers and NBA decisions but it does look like IU will have a roster worthy of top 25 potential. 

"It was a disappointing NCAA Tourney for the Big Ten last season. After getting in a conference record 9 teams, only 1 made the Sweet 16 and 0 made the Final Four. But the Big Ten will always be tough no matter the season. It will be deep, it will be a battle and it may get confused with rugby. With the season being freshly over, it is time to take a look at what we think is going to happen next season. Who is going to finish the season as Big Ten Champions?"

1. Purdue

2. Michigan

3. Ohio State

4. Maryland

5. Michigan State

6. Indiana Hoosiers

7. Rutgers

8. Illinois

9. Iowa

10. Wisconsin

11. Penn State

12. Nebraska

13. Northwestern

14. Minnesota

This is what I posted on my site a few days ago. I think I'd put Penn State lower, possibly even 14th. The bottom 3 are going to be really bad I think. Nebraska should be better and it'll help them with the conference being down as well. Not sure if I see Iowa and Wisconsin making the NCAA Tourney. It might by a 6-7 bid conference next season. 

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Don't sleep on Nebrasketball this coming season. They return almost all of their important pieces, have Walker for a full year, and add a five star.

They could easily be a mid-pack B1G team.

I agree. Could be the perfect opportunity for them to make a jump in the big ten. 

If they don't this year, not sure Hoiberg will find much success in Lincoln. 

33 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Don't sleep on Nebrasketball this coming season. They return almost all of their important pieces, have Walker for a full year, and add a five star.

They could easily be a mid-pack B1G team.

This would be the year for them to do it. B1G isn't as deep this year. Figure Hoiberg eventually will get them on the right track. 

Weekly update to Big ten projections according to Bart Torvik's site.

1. Michigan (4)

2. Purdue (7)

3. Maryland (9)

4. MSU (11)

5. Ohio State (20)

6. Indiana (23)

7. Illinois (28)

8. Northwestern (39)

9. Nebraska (55)

10. Wisconsin (59)

11. Iowa (89)

12. Rutgers (98)

13. Minnesota (128)

14. Penn State (129)

Wisconsin was a big mover with Davison coming back. Not sure why Michigan jumped ahead of Purdue as neither team had any projected contributors leave (still counts Trevion coming back). 

Edit: Eli Brooks will return for a 5th year. That is why Michigan jumped

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Weekly update to Big ten projections according to Bart Torvik's site.

1. Michigan (4)

2. Purdue (7)

3. Maryland (9)

4. MSU (11)

5. Ohio State (20)

6. Indiana (23)

7. Illinois (28)

8. Northwestern (39)

9. Nebraska (55)

10. Wisconsin (59)

11. Iowa (89)

12. Rutgers (98)

13. Minnesota (128)

14. Penn State (129)

Wisconsin was a big mover with Davison coming back. Not sure why Michigan jumped ahead of Purdue as neither team had any projected contributors leave (still counts Trevion coming back). 

Eli Brooks announced he was coming back for Michigan yesterday.  Huge for Michigan 

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Eli Brooks announced he was coming back for Michigan yesterday.  Huge for Michigan 

ah I missed that one. I saw Chaundee Brown and Smith left and they were waiting on Brooks. That is a huge get. I wasn't as high on them because of the lack of experience at guard, but i think that solidifies them as a top 10 team.