Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iu eyedoc

This really sucks...

Small world.....I was a freshman in college when IU won the championship and when I went outside to celebrate, some drunk guy knocked me over and jumped into Showalter Fountain.

Okay, the drunk guy knocking me over and jumping into Showalter Fountain I made up, but I was a freshman in college when IU won the title.

14 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

I have been relatively disengaged from IU basketball for years now. Year in and year out, I tried to tune in early but saw where the season was headed and couldn't do it. I got to were I wouldn't even know I was missing a game until my son at UF would text me about the score. Now I have to deal with CMW, Dane Fife, and this collection of portal returns and transfers.

I was almost out!!!

Now I have been sucked back in and have a renewed excitement I haven't felt since the Knight years. In my minds eye I can remember watching the 1987 championship as a freshman at a frat house and then a drunken run to Showalter Fountain, where the fish went missing for days. CMW was not my first choice, and maybe it is me trying to rationalize, but I, with the coaching hires/retentions and the players, see no way it could have started better.

Damn you, Coach Mike Woodson!!!!!!!!

I hear you man. I was exactly the same. The last two years made me completely disengage.

I can't think of the last time I felt this excited and hopeful. 

19 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

I have been relatively disengaged from IU basketball for years now. Year in and year out, I tried to tune in early but saw where the season was headed and couldn't do it. I got to were I wouldn't even know I was missing a game until my son at UF would text me about the score. Now I have to deal with CMW, Dane Fife, and this collection of portal returns and transfers.

I was almost out!!!

Now I have been sucked back in and have a renewed excitement I haven't felt since the Knight years. In my minds eye I can remember watching the 1987 championship as a freshman at a frat house and then a drunken run to Showalter Fountain, where the fish went missing for days. CMW was not my first choice, and maybe it is me trying to rationalize, but I, with the coaching hires/retentions and the players, see no way it could have started better.

Same here. I used to be such a megafan that I planned my schedule around IU games and taped every game. 

The last couple of years, I tried to catch all the games; but didn't really get upset if I missed one. Let's hope CMW brings back excitement.

This past season, I watched about the first 5 games or so, then over time I would watch part of a game and finally,  I quit watching entirely.. Some of the last few games, I was "Oh, IU is playing" and go on with something else. I have NEVER been so disinterested as a fan.

I needed to be given a reason to give a sh*t again.

Coach Woody coming in-starting with his homage to RMK- bringing Dane back, the players back, adding XJ- NOW I can feel that old enthusiasm returning and by this Fall, I will be pumped the f*ck up again!!

IU- thanks for giving me a reason to give a sh*t again.

Hoo, Hoo, Hoo Hoosiers...

35 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

I was almost out!!!

I was there at Showalter - and one of those fish has never been returned :)

I remember that night.  We had stadium seating set up, probably higher than it should have been.  A keg in the corner.  And 100 or so boys and girls watching.  When Smart hit that shot, everything broke down as everyone rushed forward, screaming "holly chit."  A few moments later it was an all out sprint to the fountain.  Freaking awesome.  I know where the fish is and it will be returned when we hang No. 6.  

Unlike the eyedoc, I never left.  BTN really helped that.  Catch as many games as possible.  After the Wat Shot, brought the young kid to the Ohio State game -- packed and loud like it's supposed to be.  He's there now and I pray IU can see success on the court for these kids.  I am loving the Woody train.  

11 hours ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

I must add, as an IU fan, I've grown accustomed to expecting the worst. All this good news is making me nervous. 

Somebody make sure Emmitt Holt isn't driving his SUV around campus. 

or a drunk idiot teammate jump in front of it

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

I just remember being very excited about the team that year and then that news broke. I felt absolutely sick. 

That team won the B1G didn't it?

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That team won the B1G didn't it?

I could very well be misremembering, but I thinking this was the year before that. If I remember right, they squeaked into the tournament with 13 loses or something and got beat by the fighting Greg Marshalls of Wichita State.

Edited by Ghost of Rick Majerus

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

I could very well be misremembering, but I thinking this was the year before that. If I remember right, they squeaked into the tournament with 13 loses or something and got beat by the fighting Greg Marshalls of Wichita State.

I think you're right. Healthy DD would have really changed that team, though. He could play.

Never give up!  Go Hoosiers!

Graduated in '77.  The team that refused to lose went undefeated and won the NC! Dancing on Kirkwood. People on cars. Didn't jump in Showalter Fountain.  But people did.

Cheered for IU when attending UW-Madison in Civil/Environmental Engineering. 

Upset at IU and RMK. Still watched HC Davis and attended IU's 2 games at Rupp including the upset of Duke. Upset at coach "he who must not be named" and IU's lack of oversite.  IU self penalized...stupid...stupid...  Just do not let Dakich be HC, please.  Oh, no, not Crean.  Still watching....

Archie Miller was not my first choice but thought it was an interesting selection.  Cheering and watching...needing a good point guard, shooters, team disfunctioning...Holy crap, Hoosiers?!  Went to OSU at IU and watched IU throw the game away.  Seemed Archie lost the players over a year ago.  Alleged fight in the lockerroom?  Really?

Watched most of the games...but some things are more important...life?

IU has been on double-secret probation for over 20 years.  I have to have BTN.  I still watch.  But...my wife gets more pissed than I do when things go wrong.  

I will watch.  But the game of basketball has changed.  IU basketball has been deemphasized by IU administration. The 3-point shot, the shot clock, the emphasis on offense in the rules, the expansion of the NBA has sucked the best players from the college ranks, the Indiana high school situation, entertainment options devalue basketball, parity, NCAA goofiness, $$$, ...all of that has hurt basketball in college.  

And people ask, do you still watch and cheer for IU like you did once upon a time?

Well it is not the same.  And I will wait for news.  And I will watch the games.  But, no...I do not see IU basketball players refusing to lose.  For instance:  The Wat Shot does not equal the undefeated team's National Championship.   BTN does not equal Channel 4.   Crean and Miller and those other coaches do not equal RMK.

Very happy to see Coach Woodson brought in Xavier a really gifted PG.  Man O Man have we needed one.  But plugging the other holes and making the team refuse to lose...

14 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Small world.....I was a freshman in college when IU won the championship and when I went outside to celebrate, some drunk guy knocked me over and jumped into Showalter Fountain.

If you hadn't clarified your statement I was going to say I'm sorry.  I didn't steal the fish, but I was one of those drunk hooligans in and around the fountain down Kirkwood Ave that night.  

9 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I would have taken Holt over DD.

Holt played that year. Davis averaged 11p 6r on a 27 win Houston team. They both had very strange careers.