Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Xavier Johnson - Commits to IU (PG)

15 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Not going to lie this commitment feels different. I just feel Indiana has missed these kind of kids in the last decade or so. I think to win in college basketball you have to use the transfer market. Pretty sure all final four teams had a kid play a significant role that was a transfer. I’m a big NFL fan and it’s important to build through the draft but you need free agents to fill your roster. In college basketball it’s huge to have great freshman classes. But you need a transfer every so often. At the top of my head I can’t name too many transfers that were pretty good at IU (Evan Gordon, Bielfeldt, Zeisloft). I’d argue Xavier is going to have much more of an impact than these guys. Still need to add some more pieces but with the core of TJD, Xavier, Parker, And Lander this is a decent group. 

Agree and for me it's also the type of player. X is a tough, hard-nosed baller. We've been short on really tough in your face players for some time (like a Sheehey). We've needed toughness for a while, and this is good to see.

16 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

So in 2017-8, Pittsburgh brought in freshman Parker Stewart and Marcus Carr.  They both transferred after their freshman year.  The next year, Marcus comes in a freshman and transfers after his freshman year.

And their teams have been horrible.  Seriously, how can they not keep guards?

Brandon Newman should be on that list....not that he’s earned being on it, just that he has that kind of talent.  Seemed to lose confidence as the season went on.

8 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Baylor alone had 4 starters that were transfers as well as Flagler off the bench. Working the transfer market has become just as important as high school recruiting.

I Remember those transfers Dean Garrett and Keith Smart in 1987...no championship without them!

Well, it sure has been a very interesting week in this basketball off-season. I'm glad for the coach change. Happy that the majority of the players came back from the transfer portal.  Pleasantly surprised Race is back...love his effort and rebounds.  Goodbye Al, and good luck.  Goodbye Armaan, good luck. Lots of questions remaining.  Seems the problem at PG is partially answered, I hope.

Xavier Johnson seems to be a scrapper that can create and likes contact. Here is an article about Xavier Johnson leaving Pitt with games remaining:   https://www.cardiachill.com/2021/2/24/22299274/xavier-johnson-pitt-panthers-basketball-leaving-program-enter-transfer-portal-jeff-capel-point-guard

So, XJ  doesn't shoot the 3 with efficiency, can create with his quick moves, likes to have the ball, can and will go to the hoop and likes contact. As a freshman and sophomore he turned over the ball a lot, but the numbers are trending down and he handles the ball a lot.  He also seems to have a penchant for talking to the refs and getting T'd.  And leaving the team with games to play is, on one level, a bad look.

Well, IU coaches know what they are getting.  It will work out.  

Welcome XJ, good luck.

Lets get some shooters.  Or develop them over this summer.

Edited by Dave from Dayton

1 hour ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Well, it sure has been a very interesting week in this basketball off-season. I'm glad for the coach change. Happy that the majority of the players came back from the transfer portal.  Pleasantly surprised Race is back...love his effort and rebounds.  Goodbye Al, and good luck.  Goodbye Armaan, good luck. Lots of questions remaining.  Seems the problem at PG is partially answered, I hope.

Xavier Johnson seems to be a scrapper that can create and likes contact. Here is an article about Xavier Johnson leaving Pitt with games remaining:   https://www.cardiachill.com/2021/2/24/22299274/xavier-johnson-pitt-panthers-basketball-leaving-program-enter-transfer-portal-jeff-capel-point-guard

So, XJ  doesn't shoot the 3 with efficiency, can create with his quick moves, likes to have the ball, can and will go to the hoop and likes contact. As a freshman and sophomore he turned over the ball a lot, but the numbers are trending down and he handles the ball a lot.  He also seems to have a penchant for talking to the refs and getting T'd.  And leaving the team with games to play is, on one level, a bad look.

Well, IU coaches know what they are getting.  It will work out.  

Welcome XJ, good luck.

Lets get some shooters.  Or develop them over this summer.

That’s not the type of player I’m usually excited about. With that said, we probably can use the talent infusion and we’ll have to trust the staff to integrate everyone. 

Sad to lose Franklin especially to a good program like UVA. 

One big theme I thought was interesting in these XJ articles, is that he was on the ACC-All Freshman team with huge names (Zion, RJ, Coby) and hasn’t amounted to that level yet.

I think the talent is still there and he needs a couple teammates and a Coach to push him to that level. Would be nice to see him develop into the NBA and it’d look great for Woody.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

So I've watched 2 full games of his from this past season and came away very underwhelmed. One of the games I watched he had 5 TO's and I do not kid you when I say it should've been 10 or more. I see he has a quick first step and is aggressive but he is very TO prone, too aggressive on D at times and is not a good shooter. Makes FT's though. 2 words that I'd use to summarize what I saw in these 2 games are "aggressively inefficient". Guess I'll watch a couple more but not sure he's the savior many are hoping he'll be.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

So I've watched 2 full games of his from this past season and came away very underwhelmed. One of the games I watched he had 5 TO's and I do not kid you when I say it should've have been 10 or more. I see he has a quick first step and is aggressive but he is very TO prone, too aggressive on D at times and is not a good shooter. Makes FT's though. 2 words that I'd use to summarize what I saw in these 2 games are "aggressively inefficient Guess I'll watch a couple more but not sure he's the savior many are hoping he'll be.

I am not as high on this pick up as most so I agree with you. I hope I am wrong

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think we have to adjust to what best offense looks like.
 The current IU offense had been largely run by Phinisee, who was low turnover, low activity in Archie’s system.
X is so much more aggressive and will have IU fans bunching up their collective undies with lots of mistakes. He will also blow by defenders on a regular basis. Remember Troy Williams? He’s now playing point for us!
And having a Troy Williams type at point will generate a TON of offense when the day is done, even when the mistakes are factored in.
You guys wanted a real change from Archie ball, right?!?

Troy Williams at PG would have been awful. Let's hope it's not like that at all.

4 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Troy Williams at PG would have been awful. Let's hope it's not like that at all.

That’s not the point.

Shaq in his prime at point guard would also have been awful.

The point is that very aggressive players make a lot of mistakes, but they also make a lot of great things happen.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

That’s not the point.

The point is that very aggressive players make a lot of mistakes, but they also make a lot of great things happen.

Depends on the type of mistakes.  Troy’s mistakes led to easy baskets because no one was back to defend.  If turnovers happen but we get back on D, I can live with it to a certain extent.

That’s not the point.
Yes that is true to a point. Some aggressive players are like Yogi Ferrell and some are like Devonte Green. Both made great things happen but one made a lot more great things happen and had less boneheaded things happen. I guess time will tell which XJ is closer to.

No doubt in my mind whatsoever that if Johnson isn't getting the job done to Woody's satisfaction he'll be on the bench.  One of my biggest gripes with Archie was his talk about players was rarely ever backed up by coaching decisions.  I'm confident that ain't gonna happen with Woody in control.

From Jerry Meyer's Mailbag...

What’s the impact of Xavier Johnson on IUMBB?

Jeremy Lee @IUFan1234

Expecting a big impact. Xavier Johnson has a commanding presence on the court on the court as a versatile and physical player who can create scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates. Indiana needs a backcourt player like Johnson who can lead them with his mature and productive game.

Over his three years at Pittsburgh, Johnson has averaged right at 14 points and five assists and 3.5 rebounds per game. He is a proven high level player who can elevate the level of play of the Hoosiers.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Meyers-Mailbag-Xavier-Johnson-Davion-Mitchell-Jalen-Suggs-Cade-Cunningham-Indiana-Baylor-Gonzaga-Oklahoma-State-UCLA-163907053/

We saw a glimpse of that in the tournament game against kentucky

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Xavier’s tourn-overs really concern me. His 3 point shot does as well. I hope he can tighten things up in the off season. This is not an even trade for losing Franklin. However, he is a nice trade for Al, who I was ready to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners