Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Xavier Johnson - Commits to IU (PG)

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He’s going to live in Cook Hall. Not only will he get better, he’s going to make every one else better. Xavier, Stewart make this team look so much different.

If Jordan can take a jump and actually get played he’s going to have a huge impact as well dudes a nightmare to game plan against 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

If Jordan can take a jump and actually get played he’s going to have a huge impact as well dudes a nightmare to game plan against 

If this team can get one more dude that can play they in my eyes become a second weekend in the NCAA tournament team. 

11 minutes ago, Blackmon_for_3 said:

As much as I respect Al Durham and the work he put in at IU I believe adding XJ and bringing back Stewart makes the guard rotation significantly better. At least on paper. XJ sitting at 6’3” 200 plus pounds give a physical guard we sorely lacked for several years. Love the way this team is shaping up. 

It would be hard for our guard rotation to get worse tbh 

21 minutes ago, maharkn said:

His jump shot reminds a lot of Curtis Jones shot

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

I wish I liked it even that much. The comp for me is Michael Adams, who played for Denver and a couple of other teams in the late 80’s into the 90’s. Will be interested to see the extant to which they try to retool it. 

Not going to lie this commitment feels different. I just feel Indiana has missed these kind of kids in the last decade or so. I think to win in college basketball you have to use the transfer market. Pretty sure all final four teams had a kid play a significant role that was a transfer. I’m a big NFL fan and it’s important to build through the draft but you need free agents to fill your roster. In college basketball it’s huge to have great freshman classes. But you need a transfer every so often. At the top of my head I can’t name too many transfers that were pretty good at IU (Evan Gordon, Bielfeldt, Zeisloft). I’d argue Xavier is going to have much more of an impact than these guys. Still need to add some more pieces but with the core of TJD, Xavier, Parker, And Lander this is a decent group. 

Not going to lie this commitment feels different. I just feel Indiana has missed these kind of kids in the last decade or so. I think to win in college basketball you have to use the transfer market. Pretty sure all final four teams had a kid play a significant role that was a transfer. I’m a big NFL fan and it’s important to build through the draft but you need free agents to fill your roster. In college basketball it’s huge to have great freshman classes. But you need a transfer every so often. At the top of my head I can’t name too many transfers that were pretty good at IU (Evan Gordon, Bielfeldt, Zeisloft). I’d argue Xavier is going to have much more of an impact than these guys. Still need to add some more pieces but with the core of TJD, Xavier, Parker, And Lander this is a decent group. 

Just off the top of my head: Juzang, Grimes, MaCio Teague, Nembhard, Mike Smith, Chaundee, Quinerly, Justin Smith, etc etc etc. You get the point. All the top programs this year had transfers that were huge additions to their rosters and expectations. X should be no different

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A fun thought exercise: who are the best guards in the conference next year? As of now I think it’s, in some order: Jaden Ivey, Duane Washington, Andre Curbelo, Armaan Franklin, Xavier Johnson, and Parker Stewart.

So in 2017-8, Pittsburgh brought in freshman Parker Stewart and Marcus Carr.  They both transferred after their freshman year.  The next year, Marcus comes in a freshman and transfers after his freshman year.

And their teams have been horrible.  Seriously, how can they not keep guards?

32 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

So in 2017-8, Pittsburgh brought in freshman Parker Stewart and Marcus Carr.  They both transferred after their freshman year.  The next year, Marcus comes in a freshman and transfers after his freshman year.

And their teams have been horrible.  Seriously, how can they not keep guards?

Josh Newkirk was a trailblazer.

9 hours ago, Bobman1 said:

Just off the top of my head: Juzang, Grimes, MaCio Teague, Nembhard, Mike Smith, Chaundee, Quinerly, Justin Smith, etc etc etc. You get the point. All the top programs this year had transfers that were huge additions to their rosters and expectations. X should be no different

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Baylor alone had 4 starters that were transfers as well as Flagler off the bench. Working the transfer market has become just as important as high school recruiting.