Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Xavier Johnson - Commits to IU (PG)

How does this effect Lander/Phin's playing time?  IMO, in a motion four out, one in offense you can still play Lander or Phin alongside Johnson.  While we might not have the abundance of 6'6" to 6'8" guys who can guard multiple positions like Woodson wants, for the upcoming year I would guess we would be looking at a lot of three guard lineups.

Starting to look really deep, which isn't something two weeks ago I would have said:

point guards:  Lander, Phin, Johnson (still think Johnson can play alongside Lander or Phin)

wings:  Stewart, Leal, Galloway

combo forwards:  Geronimo, Hunter

PF/C: TJD, Duncomb

center: Brunk

Portal limbo:  Franklin and Thompson.  I assume Thompson is gone and with addition of Johnson, could also see Franklin leaving.

Just now, btownqb said:

See.. I actually think the addition of Johnson should make Franklin want to stay even more. 

I think so too... I think the addition make it so that we can win some games next year. Plus if someone sprains an ankle or something, it would be good to have depth so that can rest it early and let it heal.

Great pickup. Welcome aboard Xavier!

We now have real depth and versatility in the guards and including on-ball, I see real multiple ball-handler play possibilities here. And more scoring. And some attitude/in-your-face play, which we've needed for a while (and Geronimo will add to that with more PT).

Things looking up

40 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

How does this effect Lander/Phin's playing time?  IMO, in a motion four out, one in offense you can still play Lander or Phin alongside Johnson.  While we might not have the abundance of 6'6" to 6'8" guys who can guard multiple positions like Woodson wants, for the upcoming year I would guess we would be looking at a lot of three guard lineups.

Starting to look really deep, which isn't something two weeks ago I would have said:

point guards:  Lander, Phin, Johnson (still think Johnson can play alongside Lander or Phin)

wings:  Stewart, Leal, Galloway

combo forwards:  Geronimo, Hunter

PF/C: TJD, Duncomb

center: Brunk

Portal limbo:  Franklin and Thompson.  I assume Thompson is gone and with addition of Johnson, could also see Franklin leaving.

I think we will definitely see a lot of duos between Johnson/Lander/Phinisee

Playing 2 smaller guys won't hurt us at all I think, as long as the guards stay aggressive. 

Xavier Johnson is 6-3

Rob Phinisee is 6-1

Khristian Lander is 6-2

We have been successful before with Yogi and Hulls or Yogi and JBJ or Yogi and Rob Johnson. Louisville was with Russ Smith and Payton Siva. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/xavier-johnson-expecting-to-rock-in-wide-open-offense-at-indiana/

Johnson said he does trust Woodson with his personal development, in part because he didn’t tell him how great he is now. He admittedly spent a lot of his sophomore year thinking about getting into the NBA draft, but now he’s not on that radar and knows he has a long way to go to get there.

11 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Playing 2 smaller guys won't hurt us at all I think, as long as the guards stay aggressive. 

Xavier Johnson is 6-3

Rob Phinisee is 6-1

Khristian Lander is 6-2

We have been successful before with Yogi and Hulls or Yogi and JBJ or Yogi and Rob Johnson. Louisville was with Russ Smith and Payton Siva. 

And those examples you mentioned had good defenses! The last few years’ Michigan teams are good examples, too

16 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Xavier Johnson is 6-3

Rob Phinisee is 6-1

Khristian Lander is 6-2

Lander needs to camp out in the weight room this summer, and only leave it to shoot a thousand jumpers a day.  

He desperately needs some strength. 

22 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

From that article:

Johnson said he heard from another native of the Washington-D.C.-Maryland-Virginia suburbs who supported his decision. He got in contact with former Indiana All-American and current Miami Heat guard Victor Oladipo, who also played with Team Takeover in the springs and summers when he was at DeMatha High School in Hyattsville, Md., and has remained an ambassador for Indiana in that region.

“I talked to him today,” Johnson said. “I told him my decision and he was happy for me. It means a lot to me, because I played at the same AAU program. Seeing his success up there, and me wanting to bring it back, that played a huge part in my heart.”

gotta love Vic getting involved. 

Vic is off my sh*t list for today.