Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Xavier Johnson - Commits to IU (PG)

3 minutes ago, ramadden13 said:

It’s not like we’re drowning in good SGs at the moment. I suspect we’ll play more three guard lineups and sometimes a PG will shift to play the 2.

In listening to Woodson describe his offense, Lander nor Rob really fit the mold to move to the 2. Lander is a pure PG, and Rob is 6'1 who shoot 26% from three last year (per espn). 

I guess if Franklin leaves, Xavier could shift, but has he played any 2 at Pitt? 

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I just watched a national championship game where a team with 3 ball handlers (basically guards) dismantled their opponent.  I think there is plenty of room for everyone.

Agree, especially if all of them shoot 40% from 3.

36 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I just watched a national championship game where a team with 3 ball handlers (basically guards) dismantled their opponent.  I think there is plenty of room for everyone.

No idea what Woodson intends to do, but would expect he's capable of tailoring his scheme to the talent on hand.

For instance saying "we want to shoot a lot of 3's" is no doubt the plan, but might not be immediately implemented if he only has 1-2 shooters next season. Now if a couple more (transfer) pieces fall into place, we'll see. Right now this isn't a great shooting team though. 

25 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That team also had a 6'2 strong guard (Mitchell) who played 36 minutes with one of the highest motors I've seen. Not sure we have that on our team currently. Maybe Xavier can fill that role

Also didn't hurt Baylor to have 4 other guards at 6'3, 6'3, 6'4 and 6'5 (again, Vital being listed a guard is funny) who shoot 41.6%, 43.4% and 39.5% from 3.

If Rob and Lander can move to the 2 and shoot at those clips, look out Big Ten.

I could see this working with Xavier at Point, Armaan at the 2 and Parker at the 3...but I'm just not seeing a fit for Rob if Xavier is going to be the primary ball handler. Unless Lander is going to accept a limited role.